New fuel gauge sender option

-
Talk is cheap..................

One think is clear---it will need a mount at the top of the tank, so this means a hole in the trunk. Seems like it must work by ultrasound?

Agreed.

It says it uses Lidar, you must program the depth of your tank into it and then it measures how far down the gas is.

I have a Tanks Inc replacement tank, which many people do and this would bolt right onto that tank in the same place as their sender does. I had purchased their upgraded floatless sender, the one they spec'd for my tank,, and its off enough that I ran out of gas with ~1/8 tank showing on the garage. I wonder if this would be any better

Unless it is programmable it will never be accurite

The gauges needs a curve to be accurite and the tank is not rectangular in shape. So with a linear sender it by default does not send the gauge the correct info.

The OEM sender sends a curve that is tuned to the shape of the tank AND the requirements of the gauge

The area where the spare tire cut out is will drop 4 inchs from full in let's say 2 gallons, then the next 4 inches will be 12 gallons, and the final 4 inches will be 5 gallons. (My numbers are just for reference)

BUT... It is an interesting concept.

Unless it is programmable it will never be accurite

The gauges needs a curve to be accurite and the tank is not rectangular in shape. So with a linear sender it by default does not send the gauge the correct info.

The OEM sender sends a curve that is tuned to the shape of the tank AND the requirements of the gauge

The area where the spare tire cut out is will drop 4 inchs from full in let's say 2 gallons, then the next 4 inches will be 12 gallons, and the final 4 inches will be 5 gallons. (My numbers are just for reference)

BUT... It is an interesting concept.
The destructions are posted at the link the OP shows. They are entirely programmable. Here...................

What Dana said. Yeah, it's programmable, but can you do the math to program it? Can you calculate how much volume is under the curve at each vertical increment? Because the A-body tank is a crazy shape, which is why the other replacement fuel senders don't work worth a crap.

I'm a little dubious about having a laser in my fuel tank, myself...

What Dana said. Yeah, it's programmable, but can you do the math to program it? Can you calculate how much volume is under the curve at each vertical increment? Because the A-body tank is a crazy shape, which is why the other replacement fuel senders don't work worth a crap.

I'm a little dubious about having a laser in my fuel tank, myself...
On the other hand, lol how much worse could it be than a float bouncing around in an unbaffled, horizontal tank sloshing around?

I'm a little dubious about having a laser in my fuel tank, myself
But you are ok having a sliding sweep arm sweeping on wires that have 5v (give or take) on one side and ground on the other, and are completely exposed to fuel vapors OR submerged in raw fuel?????

:poke::rolleyes::lol:

PXL_20230329_204600886.jpg

I'm ok with the laser aspect. In fact it is probably safer.

I have an OEM sender (restored by Instrument Specialities) because I wanted to keep using my original fuel gauge. Any other
modifications (i.e. mentioned above) would lead to issues in the future in my opinion. I'm too old to change now.

But... in movies, when you shoot something with a laser, it always blows up! 8)

Only issue I have with the modern fuel sending unit is it reads E when it still has 3-4 gallons, being a motorcyclist by nature I just think of that as the fuel reserve.

I wonder how well light detection and ranging (LIDAR) works while driving on rough roads or washboard gravel with transparent fuel in a shiny tank.

Much more importantly: What happens if I point this sucker at a cop trying to clock me with his LIDAR gun? Screw the fuel tank, I'm picturing this bad boy behind a fresnel lens mounted below my front bumper!

-
Back