New fuel tank

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
OK I am going to put a new tank in because my thought of its got to be the fuel pump,WRONG :banghead: it is doing the same thing again after installing a new needle and seat,so last thing i can think of is crud in the tank,but should i install a new steel fuel line from tank to pump also .Thoughts.5/16 or 3/8 what did maw mopar use.

So you changed the pump, still have a problem. You changed the needle and seat, same problem. So you want to change the tank for the problem. WHAT PROBLEM???

A 5/16" line was stock. If you change to a 3/8" line, you'll need to change the sender to a 3/8" also.

Snake,sorry a bit confused..........Why do you need a new tank???? Is the sending unit OK? I replaced my tank because it was rusted out,bad inside.

I would remove the tank and actually LOOK in it. Mopar used 5/16 on damned near everything except a select few really high horse power cars.

So you changed the pump, still have a problem. You changed the needle and seat, same problem. So you want to change the tank for the problem. WHAT PROBLEM???

A 5/16" line was stock. If you change to a 3/8" line, you'll need to change the sender to a 3/8" also.

The last time i removed the rubber hose just after the pump there was small black specks in the fuel, i figured out were it came from the rubber under the gas cap was wearing off going into the tank,so thats why, sure i could clean a 40 year old tank out but what the hell time for a fresh one.My sender is 3/8 too.

I would remove the tank and actually LOOK in it. Mopar used 5/16 on damned near everything except a select few really high horse power cars.

So what do you think just blow the line out befor the tank gos in or replace the line 5 1/6 or 3/8 my sender is 3/8/

Time to replace ALL rubber fuel line to 3/8. Today's fuel will eat it from the inside out,also make it swell inside,restricting flow.I like the newer filters(micron filters) that can be taken apart and cleaned.I run 2 on my race car,one before the electric fuel pump and one before the regulator.Everything is new,but still get crap in the filters.

Cleaning a tank is difficult unless it is removed. Most radiator repair shops will clean and reline a fuel tank for around $100. A new tank from C.S.I. is $200+. I'll bet you a cup of coffee your fuel lines need cleaning even though you replaced it. Blowing out lines just puts crud back in tank. Disconnect line from tank, then from pump and blow from front to rear. Todays gas is crap!

Time to replace ALL rubber fuel line to 3/8. Today's fuel will eat it from the inside out,also make it swell inside,restricting flow.I like the newer filters(micron filters) that can be taken apart and cleaned.I run 2 on my race car,one before the electric fuel pump and one before the regulator.Everything is new,but still get crap in the filters.

I here ya on the rubber lines Scott,i had just replaced the 1 from the sender to steel line, the 1 from steel line to fuel pump,than the 2 going to carb :banghead: started about 3 weeks ago no problems than just the other day flood central to its got to be from the tank.

Snake, if your going to drop the tank to get a look i have a few new sending unit seals.........Ive had mine out a few times, tank that is..Its not to bad unless your full of gas..LOL.My sending unit is 3/8 to 5/16 line as well. All new lines good deal at Discount auto in town for a roll. Let me know if you need anything. Edd

Snake, if your going to drop the tank to get a look i have a few new sending unit seals.........Ive had mine out a few times, tank that is..Its not to bad unless your full of gas..LOL.My sending unit is 3/8 to 5/16 line as well. All new lines good deal at Discount auto in town for a roll. Let me know if you need anything. Edd

Thanks ED :cheers:

I plan on coating the inside of my brand new tank with POR 15 tank sealer before it goes in to protect against the modern crappy fuel. Just read an article about they want to introduce E 15 and a few states are already banning the sale of it.

-
Back