New gas tank

-
Siphon out the old fuel and run it through a rag/screen/filter to get any particulates out. Or just buy new fuel for the new tank.

Make sure the seal is okay to use for the tank-to-filler neck section. Might be worth getting a new one. Somebody here on the forum makes them, but I can't remember who.

Make sure your sending unit is good and clean, and there's no crud that might fall in the new tank (i'd really recommend putting a new sending unit in while you're putting in a new tank- they're not too expensive and it's way easier to do it all at once.

Don't forget the ground strap for the fuel gauge to work properly.

All good points, so just adding on -Starting at the end of 73SB's list-

#1 issue I see is that ground strap across the rubber fuel line. I don't think a week goes by that somebody doesn't post a guage problem related to that.

If re-using, there are posts on here how to check your sending unit electrically. Be sure the screen is good and not ready to fall apart.

I would definitely get a new tank/neck seal. Not sure if yours is the same, but I got one for my '75 from the dealer within the last couple years for under $15.

I mixed my old gas 50/50 with fresh and used it in the lawn mower.

Take the neck out first and put back after the tank is strapped up with seal already in tank.. A little tranny fluid or vaseline works to lube the grommet for easier install. Don't forget the wear pad between tank and body. Originals were tar paper. I used a sheet of roofing rubber on mine.

Lube up the grommet real good with water, penetrating oil, or some grease to make it easier to slide on the filler tube.

Getting the new one on the filler tube far enough can be a struggle....

now is a good time to put a return nipple in if you ever want to go to an electric pump in the future. I just did one this morning in a used tank I will have pics in my thread called soldering a gas tank .

i hope you have your original sender.ive tried 3 different repops and all are junk

i hope you have your original sender.ive tried 3 different repops and all are junk

I totally agree.

The Spectra sender indicates empty but I actually still have 2 gallons in the tank. When I fill the tank just over halfway the gauge indicates full and then the gauge drops like a sack of hammers after a short drive. Thought I had a rupture in the tank when I added gas the first time after the new sender installation.

Cleanup the original sender with a new Mopar screen and use that if possible.

now is a good time to put a return nipple in if you ever want to go to an electric pump in the future. I just did one this morning in a used tank I will have pics in my thread called soldering a gas tank .

Boy X2. Braze a no6 or 8 JIC / AN flare and cap it off, or at the very least a scrap piece of tubing.

If you are replacing the sender, use the lock ring from your original sender. The new ones are thinner and don't seal up tight against the tank. Tried doubling up the gaskets, using sealer, etc. Put the original lock ring back on and it quit dripping. I lost a lot of gas trying to figure that one out.

My brand new sending unit isn't accurate either even with an added ground wire...

-
Back