New glovebox liners for early a-bodies don't fit.

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
First off I bought from Layson's the same glove box liner that all the companies are selling.
It kinda looks like a factory box but instead of being molded cardboard like the factory (same method as making paper egg cartons) it is a stiff cardboard square liner stapled together.
The one I bought at Carlisle a year or two ago from Van's LLC. and it did not fit. AT ALL!

So about 6 months ago or less I bought one from Layson's- turns out it is the same thing made by the same company for them and it too does not fit. It is stapled too large and buckles when in place.
So I found an original I had deep on a shelf, I washed it gently and let it dry and it fits like it should. A lot of the aftermarket stuff is good and works- these does not.

Speaking of which, did the Early abody's have an optional glove box light?
All the liners including my originals have a hole on the right side top of the liner.
Is that for a light or something I am not aware of?
Thanks,
Joe

It was available in 65 according to the 65 parts manual, as a couple other things in the picture

6CEAEE4D-CE4E-4BA1-A29B-4BD00834EAFF.jpeg

Edit: the first column is for Valiant and Dart

Interesting. In almost 40 years of playing with them- I’ve never seen a early abody light. Anyone have a picture of one?

@65dartcharger you ever seen one in your 40 plus yeasts of DartChargers and other 65 Darts. I’ve got one which “might” be for an early A. I’ll see if I can put my hands on it for a picture.

@65dartcharger you ever seen one in your 40 plus yeasts of DartChargers and other 65 Darts. I’ve got one which “might” be for an early A. I’ll see if I can put my hands on it for a picture.
Yes, I've seen a couple. As a matter of fact I might have a set or two. I think one is used and one is NOS! I had one in my red GT convertible!

I think it's sad that no one can repop them the way they were! Not the ones "one model fits all"! Cause they don't!
I know they are made out of some sort of paper and has an extra piece stapled to the body . The reason for that might be the lamp and switch if I remember right!

I think it's sad that no one can repop them the way they were! Not the ones "one model fits all"! Cause they don't!
I know they are made out of some sort of paper and has an extra piece stapled to the body . The reason for that might be the lamp and switch if I remember right!

Not Paper but a replacement is being worked on. So you NOS correct guys are still out of luck, but the guys that would like to have something that works. well it's coming along slowly since I"m still not happy about the shape yet.

003cropped.jpg
20170409_144303.jpg
20170409_144416.jpg
20170409_144423.jpg
20170409_145316.jpg
20170409_145425.jpg

I got one of Ebay for my 64 Valiant and it damn near installed itself. Went right in. You sure it's not a bad connection on the other end of the screwdriver?

Not Paper but a replacement is being worked on. So you NOS correct guys are still out of luck, but the guys that would like to have something that works. well it's coming along slowly since I"m still not happy about the shape yet.

View attachment 1715377992 View attachment 1715377993 View attachment 1715377994 View attachment 1715377995 View attachment 1715377996 View attachment 1715377997
Cool work! What are you using for material ?
I would like to do them by paper board or the original material. I think the egg box is the same material!

First off I bought from Layson's the same glove box liner that all the companies are selling.
It kinda looks like a factory box but instead of being molded cardboard like the factory (same method as making paper egg cartons) it is a stiff cardboard square liner stapled together.
The one I bought at Carlisle a year or two ago from Van's LLC. and it did not fit. AT ALL!

So about 6 months ago or less I bought one from Layson's- turns out it is the same thing made by the same company for them and it too does not fit. It is stapled too large and buckles when in place.
So I found an original I had deep on a shelf, I washed it gently and let it dry and it fits like it should. A lot of the aftermarket stuff is good and works- these does not.

All the liners including my originals have a hole on the right side top of the liner.
Is that for a light or something I am not aware of?
Thanks,
Joe
I have never purchased anything from Laysons that was of acceptable quality or fitment.

Cool work! What are you using for material ?
I would like to do them by paper board or the original material. I think the egg box is the same material!
Eggbox material is a bit flimsy unless used with resin to lock the shape in, then it (on my molds) wants to lock onto it plus you need a male and female to keep the original ribbed look, I've got the female mold and 1 male mold , as soon as I get the plastic one perfected for use, I'll cast a hard epoxy male and female mold to try it with the original style /type material , I can guarantee it'll cost a lot more to go back to paper type due to the labor and length of time you have to leave it in the mold to cure

Last edited:
First off I bought from Layson's the same glove box liner that all the companies are selling

Yeah…same old Layson's, full o' laffs…er, full o' beans…er, full o' something or other. I bet they charged more than everyone else for "their" glovebox, too; that's the way they roll: buy ѕhіt from the same people you and I can buy it from, mark it up (way up), then babble about how exclusive and superior "their" stuff is.

Yes. A one-piece dingus with a refrigerator door style plunger switch on one end and a bulb socket on the other end.

All the liners including my originals have a hole on the right side top of the liner. Is that for a light

Yes.

Yeah…same old Layson's, full o' laffs…er, full o' beans…er, full o' something or other. I bet they charged more than everyone else for "their" glovebox, too; that's the way they roll: buy ѕhіt from the same people you and I can buy it from, mark it up (way up), then babble about how exclusive and superior "their" stuff is.

Yes. A one-piece dingus with a refrigerator door style plunger switch on one end and a bulb socket on the other end.

Yes.

Is dingus a technical term?

I got one of Ebay for my 64 Valiant and it damn near installed itself. Went right in. You sure it's not a bad connection on the other end of the screwdriver?

Sorry RRR, it’s garbage. If yours had staples and fit then you got a special one. Just the double thickness of the sides being staples together makes the unit two big for the opening.

Sorry RRR, it’s garbage. If yours had staples and fit then you got a special one. Just the double thickness of the sides being staples together makes the unit two big for the opening.

Mine fit right in. I had that thing in and screwed down in five minutes. Would you like pictures?

A friend bought two. One for his Dart and another for a future Valiant project. The first one he tried in the Dart was too big all around. He grabbed the second one and it fit great. He sent the large one back for an exchange and when the replacement arrived ...guess what....too big. So he returned that for credit hoping that by the time he actually gets to the Valiant he can get one that actually fits.

I purchased one with the staples, it was crap. I got a used one from one of the members here, I was very happy with it....

Here's mine, dreaded staples and all. fit like a glove.......box. Only way it could have been easier to install wouldda been if a disease free Pam Anderson wouldda popped outta the box, installed it for me and gave me a happy ending. Took me all of ten minutes from opening the box it came in to puttin my screwdriver up.

GLOVEBOX.jpg

GLOVEBOX1.jpg

I have one of the comercial ones also. When I go to install it, I'll get creative if I have to. Might have to shrink
Dave

I like mine better. Or I really will once I learn to cut it out right.) the glove box is supposed to "slide in" not be put in from the back.

this on IS going into my car since it close to factory look.,just not paper that dies in florida humidity. oh and I did get all the screws in too!
20190818_163335.jpg

usually they put them in from the back side(not right,oops factory way.but that way they at least fit). doing that makes it harder to get the top screws in and you can't use the glove box light if you have one. I've never seen one though (Factory glove box light)and I'd like to get one of those glove box lights just to make sure the ones I make will fit that too!

-
Back