New guy from Pacific Northwest - 71 Dart Swinger

-

2kids

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Bellingham, Washington.

Embarrassed to admit that I am a 45 year old guy with pretty much zero car experience. Figured it was time for me to get a new hobby now that my two boys are getting older and doing more things on their own. Although it seems like they have some interest brewing in the car as well. I really like the dart and just purchased my first one this past weekend after looking at them for several months - a 1971 swinger with a /6.

The previous owner had just rebuilt the engine and had tried to start it one time but realized he wasn't getting oil to the top, so shut it off. The poor guys wife left him a few days later and he soon after lost his house. Needless to say the dart was no longer a priority for him.

Overall the body is super solid. One door is off right now. There's no rust in the trunk, floor, quarters, or fenders - and really no rust for the most part other than a few surface spots. I'm not positive what I'll wind up doing to the car, but at least I'll have it. First thing is to try and sort out the engine issue and get the thing running. After that I guess brakes, manifold and exhaust - or something like that anyway?

The interior is good except for the drivers seat, dash pad, and where they cut the door panels to put in speakers.

Like I said, I'm pretty freakin' clueless and probably in over my head already - but willing to learn.

I should actually have the car in my possession this weekend since it has to be hauled to my house. I'm going to try and upload some photos I took of it when I went to buy it.

A non-car thing about me. I've coached baseball for 12 years and love it. Taking this spring off and plan to spend time with my car.

Good to meet ya,
Darcy

engine.jpg

underfront2.jpg

Welcome in, from just North of you. Ask any questions you have about your car. Lots and lots of info and smart peeps here.

Hi Darcy, looks like a good, solid car and a good place to start your hobby! I am a long time Mopar fan, but have always had late model toys. About 6 months ago, I bought a 72 Swinger, and am taking a crah course in Old cars 101, so don't feel alone in your knowledge level. I have learned alot on this site and I'm sure you will too. Good Luck!!!

Welcome Darcy!......that's a great looking car and a solid foundation for a project!! And the engine is spotless! Hope that between all of us here, we can help you diagnose that oiling problem. These cars are sooo simple, it really makes it fun! Nice ta have ya aboard!

Welcome to FABO, looks like a really solid car! If you ever decide to sell those redline dog dishes, let me know!

I have 3 of those dog dish caps in good shape out in my shed,PM me if interested.

And back to the original thread,welcome to FABO,that's a nice clean Swinger you picked up there.Great choice and a real good starting point.
Just keep in mind that it's designed to be repairable and anything that you might come across,a lot of us on here have also had to deal with and are happy to help you out.

I think you will find that the rocker shaft is in wrong-ether it is swapped front to back or its upside down. I had that problem years ago. Also your defrost vents on top of the dash are the same ones in the Dodge/Plymouth vans for many years/decades. All colors but black go bad so find a pair of black ones and vinyl paint them.

Nothing wrong with no car experience at 45. It's no car experience at 50 we laugh at.. Just kiddin'

Just noticed in a couple of pics the woman walking by (and tying her shoes?). She looks like she thinks you're taking pictures of her :) . Of course, if you were ..

Welcome

Grant

Hi Darcy, looks like a good, solid car and a good place to start your hobby! I am a long time Mopar fan, but have always had late model toys. About 6 months ago, I bought a 72 Swinger, and am taking a crah course in Old cars 101, so don't feel alone in your knowledge level. I have learned alot on this site and I'm sure you will too. Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Welcome Darcy!......that's a great looking car and a solid foundation for a project!! And the engine is spotless! Hope that between all of us here, we can help you diagnose that oiling problem. These cars are sooo simple, it really makes it fun! Nice ta have ya aboard!
Thanks, ya it's crazy how clean that engine compartment is, I've heard those /6 cars are pretty easy to work on so I'm really glad that's where I'm starting with this.

Nothing wrong with no car experience at 45. It's no car experience at 50 we laugh at.. Just kiddin'

Just noticed in a couple of pics the woman walking by (and tying her shoes?). She looks like she thinks you're taking pictures of her :) . Of course, if you were ..

Welcome

Grant

Cool, I made it in just under the wire! Ya, that's my wife - she's actually really pumped about the car. Loves most things 70's.

Welcome

Grant

I think you will find that the rocker shaft is in wrong-ether it is swapped front to back or its upside down. I had that problem years ago. Also your defrost vents on top of the dash are the same ones in the Dodge/Plymouth vans for many years/decades. All colors but black go bad so find a pair of black ones and vinyl paint them.

Sounds like good advice, thanks. Do you have to actually pull the engine to do this rocker shaft?

Hi Darcy,

Greetings from the east coast. You've got a very good looking Dart there and a nice foundation for a project. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly people here. I'm sure that we'll be able to help you with your problem. Anyway WELCOME ABOARD sit down strap in and enjoy yourself.

Glenn

Hi Darcy,

Greetings from the east coast. You've got a very good looking Dart there and a nice foundation for a project. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly people here. I'm sure that we'll be able to help you with your problem. Anyway WELCOME ABOARD sit down strap in and enjoy yourself.

Glenn

Hi Glenn - thanks for the welcome!

-
Back