New guy from Pacific Northwest - 71 Dart Swinger

-
Welcome- The NW Is One of the best places to be. I am in NE Oregon, looks like a great ride to start on.

No-just take off the valve cover and it is all right there. Get a factory shop manual (ebay). If I remember right (20 years ago) there is a 'notch' on the rocker shaft that helps location. You will also have to have the valve cover off to adjust the rocker arms/valve stem gap. It is not hard to do and the manual is good at telling you what you need to do .Be sure to cover up the (very nice) engine compartment with sheets/blankets (Goodwill) watch out for the exhaust manifold. Lynn

No-just take off the valve cover and it is all right there. Get a factory shop manual (ebay). If I remember right (20 years ago) there is a 'notch' on the rocker shaft that helps location. You will also have to have the valve cover off to adjust the rocker arms/valve stem gap. It is not hard to do and the manual is good at telling you what you need to do .Be sure to cover up the (very nice) engine compartment with sheets/blankets (Goodwill) watch out for the exhaust manifold. Lynn

Hi Lynn,
Cool - thanks! Time to shop for a factory shop manual...

Welcome to FABO.Looks like a great starter car and the wife likes it ,too!! Can't get much better n that.8)

Welcome! The first thing you'll want to do is get the three books described here and start reading. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. You'll want to remove the rocker shaft and crank the engine to see if oil is getting to the head (if so, it'll shoot out the rearmost rocker shaft bolt hole). If so, then the rocker shaft and/or its bolts weren't installed correctly. If not, there's a bigger problem such as an improperly-drilled camshaft that doesn't index correctly with the oil holes in the rearmost cam bearing). Either way, once everything's back together you'll need to do a valve adjustment.

Welcome! The first thing you'll want to do is get the three books described here and start reading. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. You'll want to remove the rocker shaft and crank the engine to see if oil is getting to the head (if so, it'll shoot out the rearmost rocker shaft bolt hole). If so, then the rocker shaft and/or its bolts weren't installed correctly. If not, there's a bigger problem such as an improperly-drilled camshaft that doesn't index correctly with the oil holes in the rearmost cam bearing). Either way, once everything's back together you'll need to do a valve adjustment.

Hi and thanks for this info!! I'll be getting those books and cross my fingers it's just the rocker shaft.

Welcome. Nice looking dart. Maybe a member that lives close to could come by to help out and get it running. I wish I were closer.

You and I are in the same boat. I am 40 and just now able to afford to own a 1:1 scale model of a Dart. You have a very nice car and I can not wait to see how the work goes on it so I can steal some ideas off of you.
Another thing is we are almost neighbors since I live in Marysville.

You and I are in the same boat. I am 40 and just now able to afford to own a 1:1 scale model of a Dart. You have a very nice car and I can not wait to see how the work goes on it so I can steal some ideas off of you.
Another thing is we are almost neighbors since I live in Marysville.

Cool! happy to try and share the process and ideas.

Welcome. Nice looking dart. Maybe a member that lives close to could come by to help out and get it running. I wish I were closer.

Thanks! I wish you were too! Sounds like there might be some folks near by that I might be able to work with. Not sure yet since I'm just barely getting going. Really happy just to have the car in my garage, seriously a good feeling right now - kind of like getting my first car as a teenager 30 years ago...

So I buy my dart and am so busy this week I can barely even spend 5 minutes on it. I did find a possible lead on a good body work guy to barter with so that's pretty cool!

Welcome to FABO, its never to late to start. Sweet little car. I had a /6 Scamp, gave it up for................twice the cubes. Usually on the B Body Forum and the Coronet forums. I still hang out here though too, just cant give it up.

-
Back