New guy here with Dodge-y interests

-

JoesEdge

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm Joey from Downey, California.

I joined this group because my 15 year old son is nearly of driving age and he's been wanting a car. He makes me proud that he wants a Muscle Car, so here I am but not necessarily because I'm looking for a Muscle Car. Read on...

So really, I'm a Ford guy but have always had a bit of an interest in Dodge/Plymouth vehicles as well. I guess it's time to step out of what I know, and try something different and go with a Dodge.

I've been finding quite a few early 70's (1970 to 1973) Dodge Dart Swingers in Craigslist that have been affordable and a good starter "Muscle Car". Since I'm looking for a project car, my budget is $2,500 bucks. Yep, that means what I have been looking at are Slant 6's but from what I read they're pretty good. Seems like a good starter engine for a teenager.

So, I'm hear to get as much info as I can regarding '68 to '73 Dodge Darts (which I guess happen to be A body cars) and Slant 6 engines.

Any advice would be great. As with any older vehicle, I plan to pretty much rebuild everything upgrading the brakes to disc brakes, suspension upgrades, interior, and engine upgrades as well.

As far as the engine goes, I'd like reliability and economy over performance but that doesn't mean I don't want it to be a slug either.

Anyway, this will be a father and son build so I'm sort of looking forward to it.

Joey

Welcome to the site. Most everyone here lives and breaths Mopar and very willing to help each other. That said you will find it cheaper to build chevys and fords as there is just more of them and engine and body parts are cheaper. If you really love Mopars there are more parts being made every day and there are a lot of darts and duster and dart sports that can be picked up for deacent money. Just inspect any forty year old car for frame damage (unibody on Mopars),rust in frame, floor and trunk pans, quarters and rockers and around windows. Stay away from fresh primer and fresh paint as there may be alot of filler under it. Any car can be fixed depends on how much money and talent you have. If you think you are going to restore old muscle cars and make money run now as that is rare as most people loose money when they sell. With that said welcome to the fray and don't be afraid to ask for help as most people here are very willing. Good luck with the search Bill

Welcome, my son 19 has a 74' swinger /6 for a dd.

Right on! How's it like it? Have any pictures?

Welcome to the site. Most everyone here lives and breaths Mopar and very willing to help each other. That said you will find it cheaper to build chevys and fords as there is just more of them and engine and body parts are cheaper. If you really love Mopars there are more parts being made every day and there are a lot of darts and duster and dart sports that can be picked up for deacent money. Just inspect any forty year old car for frame damage (unibody on Mopars),rust in frame, floor and trunk pans, quarters and rockers and around windows. Stay away from fresh primer and fresh paint as there may be alot of filler under it. Any car can be fixed depends on how much money and talent you have. If you think you are going to restore old muscle cars and make money run now as that is rare as most people loose money when they sell. With that said welcome to the fray and don't be afraid to ask for help as most people here are very willing. Good luck with the search Bill

Hey Bill!

Thanks for the advice! I do realize that Mopars aren't cheap to build, but have you seen the prices for early Mustangs in California? They're expensive!

I'm talking 5 grand for a rust bucket! And a fastback is way out of my budget! Those start at 9 grand for another rust bucket. This is in the Los Angeles area.

I used to have a '65 Mustang and loved it, but got me into too much trouble. I was young and had a lead foot. Although, Fords is what I know best but they're getting harder to find and out of my price range.

The Dart's I've found seem affordable and worth restoring. Here's the unknown.

1. Cost of rebuilding a slant 6
  2. Cost and availablilty of parts
  3. what sort of upgrades are available (i.e. engine, transmission, suspension, etc)

Those are the types of things I need to research.

Joey

Welcome to FABO! I think you and your son have made a great choice. You'll find that a Dart can be easily upgraded and will give reliable service. Take a look at members Darts, and their build threads.

Welcome to FABO from another SoCal member to both you and your son! You're going to have fun here.

No need to rebuild a slant as they can be picked up quite cheap! There are options on the brakes from factory to aftermarket. Parts are available, especially on this forum.

No need to rebuild a slant as they can be picked up quite cheap! There are options on the brakes from factory to aftermarket. Parts are available, especially on this forum.

Good to know! You know, I just found a '68 Dart in Craigslist this morning. I'm going to have to check it out. It's got a Slant 6. I like the rear lights on the '68 model years. They remind me of Chevelles in a way (I hope that's not taboo to say. LOL).

Joey

-
Back