New guy, What tranny should go behind a 360?

-

ProjectDart68

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a little ignorant on the older cars so please bear with me. I'm going to put a 360 crate motor into my 68 dart. I've always heard of the 727 transmission, but I see a lot of 904 trannys on this forum. Which would you guys recommend. I'm a long way off from needing this info, but just trying to be smart and do my research. Thanks guys.

Kenny

P.S. I need an automatic, not manual. Not sure if that makes a difference.

A lot of guys beef up the 904, they're a little lighter then the 727. Nothing wrong with a 727 though. One thing the two of them use different length drive lines.

I'm going with a 904 but that's because that's what I have and I don't want the expense of modifying my drive line.

Well spends on what you're gonna do with it. 727 is a good tranny, however if build up a 904 you'll get more power to the ground because it take less HP to power it. If you want an overdrive tranny you can either add a gearvendors unit to either the 727 or 904. Something else you can look at (if you're not a stickler about it being all Mopar) is the GM 200R4. The 200R4 is a overdrive tranny that is smaller then both the 904 and 727 (this way you won't have to mod the tranny tunnel) and all you need is an adaptor and a 12-volt source to get the tranny to go into over drive. The 200R4 is a lot like the 904, doesn't take much to power it and once built/beefed up can take a lot HP and TQ.

I'm a big 904 advocate. Always have been. They can be built to take 500 HP using stock factory parts. But, I'm gettin old. If I ever do another auto car again, it will have a stout 727 for the bulletproof factor. Simply because I don't wanna do it but ONCE.

Hey guys. Thanks for your responses. The engine I looked at has 378 hp and 399 tq. That's just a baseline really though. I'm just trying to get research done. I would like to use a gearvendor unit, simply to make the car more drivable. My end goal is drive to the track, run good times, and drive home. Also use it as a fun weekend cruiser. Thanks for all your help guys. This forum is easily the most polite of any I've ever used. I appreciate it.

Hey guys. Thanks for your responses. The engine I looked at has 378 hp and 399 tq. That's just a baseline really though. I'm just trying to get research done. I would like to use a gearvendor unit, simply to make the car more drivable. My end goal is drive to the track, run good times, and drive home. Also use it as a fun weekend cruiser. Thanks for all your help guys. This forum is easily the most polite of any I've ever used. I appreciate it.

My car has a 904 behind a Vortech-supercharged (approx. 500 hp) 360 in a 3,300-pound car and has never given me a minute's trouble despite a LOT of drag racing activity. It's tough.... so far.

The downside of that transmission is, no overdrive.

Mopar overdrives (A500 and A518s) are difficult to retrofit to A-bodies because of the physical size of the tailshaft-mounted overdrive unit. They require a fair amount of floorpan surgery and a modification of the transmisssion-mounting crosssmember in A bodies, but, some feel it's worth the trouble. I don't know about B-Bodies... maybe no such travail is necessary... but, it probably is...

The last time I checked, Gear Vendor units were deliberately geared to split the difference betwen 2nd and 3rd gear (.20:1) and aren't really that effective as an overdrive. They may have other ratio options, by now... but, I doubt it...

The A500 and A518 Mopar units (and, I believe, the 200 4-R) are true overdrives and have a 4th gear effective overdriven ratio of .39:1... offering a significant drop in highway rpms. For instance, a Gear Vendor unit would drop your highway rpm from 3,000 to 2,400 at cruise, while a 518 would drop it from 3,000 to 1,830...

However, it's so easy and relatively quick to change a third-member in an 8.75" rear, so, I just keep a 2.76:1 unit around, and put it in if I'm looking at a considerable amount of highway driving, and change back to the 4.10 for the strip. No big deal...

You pays your money and you takes your choice.... :study:

Hope this helps...

I think it depends on your budget. Building up a 904 will work well. A stock 727 will handle that motor just fine, I'm running a used stock 727 transmission with a high stall converter and no issues. I just put a new filter and seals in it, with a cooler. I'm running about 400 HP.

At that level a 904 rebuilt properly with good parts and a Trans-go TF-2 shift improver kit is all you need. And as mentioned they take less power to spin them and if you find one with the low gear set you could probably gear the rearend taller so you don't have to have an o.d. Just a thought.

-
Back