New guy with a 440 swap

-

gunters96lt1

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im new here but been around Mopars all my life. My dad is a huge Mopar guy, and finally I gave in and decided to put one together myself. What Im trying to do is swap a 440 and 727 into a 73 Duster we have.

Heres the car. Its solid, floors, trunk, frame rails all great. The only thing it needs is a roof skin. 318/904 we drove this car for a couple of years.

Got the trans out.

Started on the motor

Waiting on motor mounts now.

Welcome!

car look very nice. cant wait to see it with that 440 installed im sure your going with at least a 5x8 wheel in the rear with 275's also and nice suspesion to make it have that mean stance.

cant wait to see more of her. good luck.

Welcome!

car look very nice. cant wait to see it with that 440 installed im sure your going with at least a 5x8 wheel in the rear with 275's also and nice suspesion to make it have that mean stance.

cant wait to see more of her. good luck.

Thanks!! Not sure what wheels yet, since i am planning on swapping in a 8 3/4" rearend. Well see what i can find.

Check out some of the posts in the wheel and tire threads...lots of pics and people sharing what worked out for them.

Mocked up the radiator I had laying around and started striping the engine bay to clean it up.

Got some more done on the car. Got to say the Schumacher motor mounts work perfect.

Degreased the engine bay and pressure washed it.

Got the 440 out of storage and ready to test fit.

Slid right in. Need to clearance a few spots but nothing major.

Looks good, check your hood clearance so you know what air cleaner to run or hood scoop if you plan on one..

Looks good, check your hood clearance so you know what air cleaner to run or hood scoop if you plan on one..

Thanks! I plan on running a scoop if i can find one relatively cheap. Otherwise we will have to improvise.

I started looking to see what exhaust manifolds we had, and sure enough i found a B-body HP manifold. Going to try and use this first and go from there.

Well....after spending hours trying all the different manifolds we have laying around, we decided to bite the bullet and ordered up some Schumacher headers!

Well....after spending hours trying all the different manifolds we have laying around, we decided to bite the bullet and ordered up some Schumacher headers!

I run a set of the Schumacher headers, I like how they fit, you loose some flow with them compared to a set of TTI headers, but I also have my car down to 11.50s with the Schumacher headers.

Attachments

• IMG_6373.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 633
I run a set of the Schumacher headers, I like how they fit, you loose some flow with them compared to a set of TTI headers, but I also have my car down to 11.50s with the Schumacher headers.

Nice!! Your car looks great!

NICE START! Feel free to check out my build putting a 383 into my Demon, for inspiration and tips on what it takes haha - this is my first time doing a BB swap and it's been a super fun pain in the *** hahahahaha

A friend of mine is running C body cast manifolds in his Demon (400 not a 440)

I also installed a 68-70 B body 8.75 in my car as well.. I see you have a TON of room between the rad/ motor unlike me - I have Trans-Dapt swap mounts though so that is likely the difference..

Now that the engine compartment is clean, get a couple cans of the Yellow over cleaner, it will strip that rattle can black paint off, and leave the original paint..

Good job on yours! Here is mine that I just did. Dont mind the old plug wires(i have new ones as this is a older picture). It was quite a bear to put in and fit but im happy with the finished product(for now).

ouch... the fender wells....

i was reading somewhere that the difference between stock to aftermarket rally wasnt that huge. is this true. Of course the fact that aftermarket the inside diameter might be larger and ported and polished ... was hard to believe.

I know I know, some people like or dislike them. The left side fender in the picture looks wrinkled but I have cleaned them up sense that picture. What I DO LOVE about the fenderwells is that I can remove them in less then 10 minutes per side and they flow good(2" tube).

NICE START! Feel free to check out my build putting a 383 into my Demon, for inspiration and tips on what it takes haha - this is my first time doing a BB swap and it's been a super fun pain in the *** hahahahaha

A friend of mine is running C body cast manifolds in his Demon (400 not a 440)

I also installed a 68-70 B body 8.75 in my car as well.. I see you have a TON of room between the rad/ motor unlike me - I have Trans-Dapt swap mounts though so that is likely the difference..

Now that the engine compartment is clean, get a couple cans of the Yellow over cleaner, it will strip that rattle can black paint off, and leave the original paint..

Read through your thread, Awesome build man!!

Good job on yours! Here is mine that I just did. Dont mind the old plug wires(i have new ones as this is a older picture). It was quite a bear to put in and fit but im happy with the finished product(for now).

Looks good!

Just ordered some Mopar Performance Valve Covers and Breather! I really think they look great on these motors.

And, headers should be here today!

Well, got the schumacher headers in! Im really happy with them. I did cheap out and get the bare steel.

So, in the spirit of being cheap. I bought header paint from the parts store.

Also, got some paint on the motor. Its not done right, but it should look decent.

Well, got the schumacher headers in! Im really happy with them. I did cheap out and get the bare steel.

Saying you cheaped out is kind of a relative (and in my opinion inaccurate) statement here...I don't call $525 cheap, but it is inexpensive for a quality set that fits correctly--at least you know they'll work.

-
Back