New guy with a 65 Dart 270

-

Nilsog

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm brand new to the old car game. Just bought a 1965 Dart 270 a couple weeks ago and I'm finally getting down to the dirty work. I've got some pretty rudimentary mechanical knowledge, so I'm looking forward to learning everything I can!

Luckily for me the car runs great. The frame is solid, the work is mostly brakes, suspension and body work. Plus I need to root out all the mouse nests and crap- that leaves a nice smell.

Anyway, thanks for having me!

10392440_833311190098184_2295083951580824191_n_zpsonhtxcng.jpg

Wow, doesn't look like it needs much!! I love the bare steelies on an early white Dart!! Welcome to FABO, glad to have you with us!! Geof

Welcome to FABO! The Dart looks pretty nice as it is judging from the pic.

Thanks, guys! It's all about angles, really. I'll post some more pictures when I'm back on my desktop.

First off, I have to say I made out really well on this car. I bought it on ebay, with no chance to go inspect it. According to the auction it was an as-is-where-is sale and the engine wasn't running. A day before the auction ended, they updated to say the motor had been started. I won the auction for $1100, and made the trip from Maine to Pennsylvania to pick the car up. I rolled it off the trailer, took a nap, got up and bought a new battery, installed said battery, turned the key and she fired right up. After checking the fluids and making sure everything was sound, I put a couple gallons of gas in the tank and some brake fluid in the master cylinder and took her for a ride around the block- other than spongy brakes she ran great! The registration said it was last registered in 07, so I suspect it was in storage since then anyway.

As it sat in storage before I bought it:

Here you can see the worst of the body damage, it's actually worse than it looks because in this picture it's semi covered with white duct tape.

Ready for the trip home

She cleaned up pretty nice, and there was even a new unopened carpet for the interior in the trunk! Bonus! I'm waiting on the repair manual now before I tear down the inside any further, but there is a very musty smell- no doubt a mix between all the mouse crap and urine, dust, and mildew. I'm really pleased with the purchase though and can't wait to get some work done on it.

My suggestion as you do the brakes is to upgrade to a dual reservoir master cylinder. Inline tube sells a distribution block and lines of you want them for it.

Hey welcome to FABO. There's lots of early A Bodies here so sit back and enjoy. My first car was a 65 2 door post 270. White with a red interior. (looks like yours) It had a HP273 and a 3 on the tree. It ran like a scalded dog! toolmanmike

-
Back