New guy with a 70 Duster

-

Nu2Mopar

Reaction score
Hey all, I am new to the forum and new to MOPAR's for that matter (Chevy guy...sorry). I just picked up a 70 Duster....the body is in great shape but the slant 6 in it is toast. the good thing about the deal is that the guy gave me a 360 and a 727 with the car.

My first question is....what changes or mods do I need to make to put this combo in? I want to drop it in first and see if it runs before I decide whether it needs to be gone through or not, any help would be much appreciated.

Oh and my name is Steve.

Welcome Steve!Your gonna need some motor mounts,V8 rad,manifolds or hedders,maybe a new d.shaft.Ask away,lots of guys here to help you with any Questions.Now lets see some pics. of that 70 Duster,I love 70 Demon,Dusters.:cheers:

Hello and post some pics when you can . Id like to see what your project looks like. Good luck with it.

Welcome aboard,I used a 360,727 in my 72 Twister that had a slant and 904 in it.Check out the forums and we LOVE pictures.

Welcome glad you saw the light....

I'm glad your here. Chevy does not need you. MOPAR!!!!!! ALL THE WAY!!!

LOL...Thanks for the welcome everybody, I am actually building this one for my wife, she had a 70 Duster in high school that she loved and this one just kind of fell in my lap (so to speak) so I could not pass it up. My other toy is a PT 67 Camaro RS that I will never get rid of. I am looking forward to building another car and it being a little different than what i'm used to will make it fun. I always like a challenge.

^^^^The car in your sig looks very nice, pretty much the look i'm going for too!

Steve,

Welcome to the world of superior engineering!

Here's what you need to do....

1. Find somebody to trade you a small block 904 transmission for that heavy over-kill-for-a-360 727. You'll save weight, horsepower and clearance, and will pick up probably a car length and a half in the process.

2. Go to the (Schumacher Creative Services) engine swap website that somebody posted for you earlier and purchase the 340/360 mounts that work with a slant 6 K-frame for your year. Without these bolt-in mounts from Schumacher, you'll have to change the entire front crossmember (called a K-Member) that the suspension (A arms, etc.) is bolted to.... and I know you don't need THAT drill...

3. Go to Bouchillon or Lokar (both have online websites with catalogs) and get a throttle cable AND a throttle pressure cable for the 904. It's lots easier than trying to track down and properly adjust the OEM transmission linkage.

4. Don't let anybody talk you into trying to run this thing with 318 exhaust manifolds. Get a set of 360 exhaust manifolds that will work in an A body. I can't tell you exactly what fits; the 340 manifolds will fit for sure, but they're lots of bucks and don't pass much more air than the 360 log manifolds. Some folks say that the 318/360 Magnum truck exhaust manifolds can work, with custom down-pipes (head-pipes?)

If this isn't a race car, nobody I know of makes a decent header that doesn't hang low, and lots of folks have problems with the low-hanging pipes getting flattened on speed bumps and other un-yielding high spots. If it IS going to be seeing some duty as a race car, buy a set of TTI headers ($$$$$$) and you'll be glad you did; they don't have any low-hanging pipes and are fairly easy to install. They aare a work of art, in my opinion, but overkill for a daily driver because of the cost.

5. Get the correct flexplate for the 360 "external balance" motor. B & M makes a good one, but there are other alternatives; you can buy a kit from Mopar Performance, and weld the weights onto a neutral balance (318) converter, but the B & M is easier if, like me, you don't weld.

6. Locate an 8.25" rear axle housing, complete, from any '73-up V-eight "A" body car and bolt it in. You'll need new (bigger) U-bolts. She won't break it. The OEM 7.25" that comes in /6 cars is made out of toasted egg whites and will shatter at the first opportunity, with a 360 in front of it. Some early 318's also had that rear end (my '72 Valiant 318/904 did.)

BTW, the 8.25" rear is one that's bigger than the (7.25") rear end that's in your car, but still has a removeable plate on the backside, just larger and rounder... The larger, heavier, stronger, 8.75" rear end has a dropout center section (or, "third member") similar to a 9" Ford. That rear end would also work well in your car, but if you're not going to race it, the extra expense probably wouldn't be worth it.

7. A new drive shaft will probably have to be made, but since it will be shorter than the one that's in there right now, simply shortening that one might work okay.

8. Dual exhausts are not a have-to case, but would sound GREAT; she'll love you for them... Probably pick up some gas mileage in the process.

9. Get ready for some minor wiring glitches; some of the wiring harness leads will probably be too short, while others might be unnecessarily long, but that's no biggee... wire is cheap. Well, sort of...

10. The transmission support crossmember is the same; V8 or /6.... somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

11. Someone already mentioned the bigger radiator, a must.

12. Put some tires on the back that you don't like because this thing will shred them in short order... seriously; 360s make gobs of torque... If she has a heavy foot, you might consider putting something under the accelerator pedal.... LOL!

It's gonna be so much fun that you'll forget you ever owned a Camaro!!!

I kid you not....

Good luck with this. We're here to help!

Ha! Aint it the truth?! Yeah your car is gonna get jealous of your wife's car... And not be able to keep up? What you got in that thing? If its an average 350 you might fully get toasted... consistently! Well that will be kinda hot so have fun watching your wife smile a lot and be sure to fix the back seat!!!!! Maybe get her an 8track player and some Journey...Then it will be on son!

Ha! Aint it the truth?! Yeah your car is gonna get jealous of your wife's car... And not be able to keep up? What you got in that thing? If its an average 350 you might fully get toasted... consistently! Well that will be kinda hot so have fun watching your wife smile a lot and be sure to fix the back seat!!!!! Maybe get her an 8track player and some Journey...Then it will be on son!

LOL....you guys are making me nervous! The Camaro won't get jealous, I wouldn't let that happen. It packs a little more punch than a 350, I run a stroked small block right at 400hp to rear wheels.

Nice ride.... You really wouldn't want her car to be faster than yours, would you.... LOL!

It's doable...

Just let us know if you need the recipe.:read2:

6. Locate an 8.25" rear axle housing, complete, from any '73-up V-eight "A" body car and bolt it in. You'll need new (bigger) U-bolts. She won't break it. The OEM 7.25" that comes in /6 cars is made out of toasted egg whites and will shatter at the first opportunity, with a 360 in front of it. Some early 318's also had that rear end (my '72 Valiant 318/904 did.)

BTW, the 8.25" rear is one that's bigger than the (7.25") rear end that's in your car, but still has a removeable plate on the backside, just larger and rounder... The larger, heavier, stronger, 8.75" rear end has a dropout center section (or, "third member") similar to a 9" Ford. That rear end would also work well in your car, but if you're not going to race it, the extra expense probably wouldn't be worth it.

7. A new drive shaft will probably have to be made, but since it will be shorter than the one that's in there right now, simply shortening that one might work okay.

Be careful. A lot of V8 cars, mine included, came with 7.25's from the factory. Look for a ROUND 10 bolt cover for an 8 1/4. I would, however, since you've got a Duster, suggest a 65-70 B-body 8 3/4 rearend with the spring perches moved inboard 1/2" per side for the stock shackles. I have the offset shackle kit, so mine looks a bit different for the spring location, but here's a picture:
3-16-2009007.jpg

I've had the 7.25 small bolt, an 8.25 large bolt, and this 68 B-body 8 3/4 in the car and this one fits the best by far.

If you do get an 8 1/4, I have the right driveshaft for it hanging in my garage that I need to get rid of.

Dual exhaust is a must. Very easy to do. I'm working on a custom side exit deal right now since my offset shackles won't allow me to get the pipes out the back anymore.

Boy does that look familiar - almost wanted to go outside and check the driveway and see if mine was still there !

100_4138%20%28Small%29.JPG

100_4153%20%28Small%29.JPG

One thing not mentioned earlier is the big bolt pattern conversion - not much out there in decent 4" pattern anymore. Upgrade is easy - is yours disc up front ? I thought it unusual on my 70 with the six to have the four-piston disc option - but it do !

One thing not mentioned earlier is the big bolt pattern conversion - not much out there in decent 4" pattern anymore. Upgrade is easy - is yours disc up front ? I thought it unusual on my 70 with the six to have the four-piston disc option - but it do !

I wish...lol!

I will be switching out to disc's in the front for sure, rear's maybe.

-
Back