Votes: 6 75.0%

Votes: 2 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

383Build

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a new member and I wanted to get some information from you all.

I am currently in the beginning phases of my first classic car restoration. When I say beginning I mean I haven't even chosen the car I will restore.

I currently am leaning toward a 67-69 Dodge Dart being powered by a 340, 383, or 440.

My only previous experience with classic/muscle cars was a 1966 Ford Fairlane GTA (which I loved but sold it) The reason I'm not getting another one was the relative low power of the engine and other misc issues with them.

Questions:

1. Will any/all of the aforementioned engines fit in the Dart without problem? Is header clearance a problem?

2. Which motor do you recommend? (I'm leaning toward the 383)

3. Is there anything particular I should look for when purchasing a car/roller?

The intended purpose of the car will be cruising, date nights, and the occasional trip to the drag strip with a goal of somewhere between 11 and 12 seconds.

Thank you all in advance for your help and input!
Seth

ETA: If you vote please respond with the reason you cast your specific vote if you have one. Thanks!

your responses will be all over the map.The 340 / 360 may be best.
best fit,light,best handling / braking,mileage,performance potential high
economical to build.....

Welcome..... I suggest you get the car first, you may very well like the motor that it comes with....

I voted for the 340, cause I have one in my car. I think it's a great engine. Also it's easier to install, and work on. More room. Better handling. All classic cars have issues to be sorted through. A 340/360 will have less than a big block. ( cooling,exhaust, handling, etc) It don't sound like you have a lot of experience with this, so make it easier on yourself and your wallet.

Any of the above motors are good. I would say of the group the 383 is the one I would recommend the least. The expense to install it in a dart is identical to the 440 and you are installing a smaller motor.
The 340 will bolt right in with factory components and it is not hard to get the performance you are looking for. 340s are great and my favorite motor but prices for 340s command a premium and equal performance can be hadone by a well built 360 . They are more common.

Awesome guys! Thanks! Looks like the 340 might be the better option. I plan to do things 'right' from the beginning having a motor that is a pain to work on is something I want to avoid. As long as I can make good power with the 340 and get it down the strip between 11 and 12 I'll be happy. I've done a bit of reading a people love all of those engines but if the 340 fits right in the Dart that will most likely be what I will go with.

Any Advantages/disadvantages to any of the specific years?

Welcome..... I suggest you get the car first, you may very well like the motor that it comes with....
Thanks! I agree that I might end up going with what it comes with but I'm just trying to get a general idea of what motor to use if I end up getting a roller or something with a slant 6. I intend for the build to not be a regular restoration but something that is slightly custom to fit my exact needs. I want to build it from the ground up and do it right the first time. While I do not have an unlimited budget I want everything to be high quality and not cut corners.

While the 383 is a bit nose heavy the use of the 68-70 HP cast iron manifolds makes it a pretty clean install. Consider the weight with aluminum heads and the possibility of the 400 block (same external dimensions) stroked to 500 plus cubes and the attitude can change pretty quick. The big block car will still be a pig in the corners but all that torque, well.... Smiles per gallon is off the chart!

Also be aware, like Ford,Mopar engines have different balances, and everything must match. For example, 340 was neutral balance until 73 when they went to a cast crank with a different balancer and converter, or flexplate. All 360 are externally balanced. Magnums are also different I think. It's not as confusing as it sounds. You just have to be sure to check. If you can locate a complete engine, it will save you looking for the matching parts.

So is going from a 340 to a 383 or 400 just a matter of changing the mounting blocks or is it more detailed than that? (assuming I'm starting with a roller)

So is going from a 340 to a 383 or 400 just a matter of changing the mounting blocks or is it more detailed than that? (assuming I'm starting with a roller)
If you already have the V-8 K member then Shumacher mounts will make it slick and easy. Even if you don't, the 6 cylinder frame doesn't take all that much modification...
Schumacher Creative Services

A 340 will let you corner, a big block becomes a point-n-squirt car.
Depends on how much you want to drive it for fun on the road, vs how much time you plan to spend with the go-pedal smashed down all the way at the strip.

-
Back