new head valve train

-

davidcribbs

Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma, and need a little tech help;

I have blown both head gaskets on a set of stock cast iron heads. After I took them into the machine shop for evaluation I found out that they will be at least $850 - $1200 based on how extensive I want them to repair the questionable components. Since I am planning on rebuilding the motor with a full Edelbrock Performer RPM top end, I have decided to purchase the Edelbrock heads now, instead of repair the current cast iron heads.

The motor in the car (1967 Dodge Dart GT Convertible) is a slightly modified 360 LA. Seems like it has a little bit of a cam, and it has an aftermarket Weiand intake, but it is pretty mild. I have owned the car for 8 years, and have worked on everything, but only repaired items on the motor when they broke, so this is my first tear-down with this motor. I did not put the motor in, so I am making judgments on the performance just based on driving it.

My question is, do I need to purchase adjustable rockers or different length pushrods? All the information I can find on this is based on a full performance build, not just switching the heads. Even with that, some of the information says that the stock rockers and pushrods will work, and the other says they would recommend adjustable rockers. I understand that without the rest of the pieces to complete the top of the motor, and a new torque converter that this motor will not reach it's full potential until those items are added. I am fine with it in it's current form, and just do not want to waste the money repairing my cast iron heads, just to pay for the Edelbrock heads in a year or so. I have purchased the head gaskets recommended by Edelbrock as well, just so you have all the info for length.

Aggressive cams require heavy duty springs to keep the lifter from bouncing on the cam. The more open pressure than a stock spring, you risk punching the push rod through the seat of the stamped steel stock rocker arm. So you have to figure out your cam/spring combination and I’m not saying stock rocker arms are bad, they oil awesome and are light as all get out. They just are not going to stand up to stiff springs and .6 lift cams. No way about it you change heads you have to check push rod length.

Get the adjustable 1.5 roller rockers. Comp Cams Ductile Iron . Shop cost was $480 comes with shafts and hardware. Best bang for the buck.

Smith Bros. Pushrods

The Edelbrock heads come with springs good to 500 lift. Don't forget new ARP head bolts for better rocker oiling Verses studs. Do not get studs if its a street motor. You don't need them.

Do it once and do it right.

Aggressive cams require heavy duty springs to keep the lifter from bouncing on the cam. The more open pressure than a stock spring, you risk punching the push rod through the seat of the stamped steel stock rocker arm. So you have to figure out your cam/spring combination and I’m not saying stock rocker arms are bad, they oil awesome and are light as all get out. They just are not going to stand up to stiff springs and .6 lift cams. No way about it you change heads you have to check push rod length.
I will for sure check fitment of all when I put the new heads on. Was just wondering if anyone had knowledge on the specifics from doing the switch.

I can assure my cam is not a .6, and not a .5 either. At least it doesn't drive that way.

Get the adjustable 1.5 roller rockers. Comp Cams Ductile Iron . Shop cost was $480 comes with shafts and hardware. Best bang for the buck.

Smith Bros. Pushrods

The Edelbrock heads come with springs good to 500 lift. Don't forget new ARP head bolts for better rocker oiling Verses studs. Do not get studs if its a street motor. You don't need them.

Do it once and do it right.
I was really trying to get away from pouring a bunch of money in right now, but those rockers I have been looking at if I do need to adjust the valve train.

I have the new ARP's, and have chased all the threads in the block.

I will look into the Smith Bros for pushrods if I need a different set.

Thanks for the response.

-
Back