new heads or stroker kit

-

AbodyJohn88

Reaction score
hey guys just wondering what would benefit me more. combo is a stock stroke 360 with 2.02 x heads, performer rpm intake, 650 holley and a comp cams cam with 477 lift, 727 torqueflite with around 2500 stall. do you think this package would benefit more from a pair of edelbrock cylinder heads or a 408 stroker kit. since they are abotut the same price range? thanks in advance

Well I think to benefit from the stroker kit you would maybe need a little more compression, to actually make the power it wants to. I dont know what to say about the heads becasue the X heads are good heads, but with the Edelbrocks you can run more compression and get 1.6 rockers to make the lift a little bit more. But I dont know how to really answer your question becasue most that do the 408 stroker use the edelbrocks anyways

I don't think the heads with no otehr cahnges will do much, and the stroker kit will need the heads too. If ti were me, I'd go with a better/bigger cam, RPM Air Gap, and 750VS carb before I threw heads at it. You have a very mild package, no where near maxxed out in terms of heads now. IMO, no sense in throwing four figures at it if the heads you have now are good and you have the room to grow in the other bolt ons.

I'd do the stroker and later port the X heads. 750 cfm upgrade while your at it.

If your budget is the cost of a stroker kit OR a set of Eddie heads then I would do what moper says and maximize what you have. A 360 with x heads is a nice combo so a little more cam, like a Voodoo, with the correct springs, 750 Vacuum Secondary carb, and a good curve on that distributor would make good power. This all assumes your engine is in good condition as is.

What is your budget?

I haven't built a Mopar stroker kit (yet), but if the cost of the kit is similar to the price of the Edelbrock heads, then the heads are significantly cheaper because of the machine shop work involved in building the stroker.

What is the intended usage of the car?

street strip car the motor in it now was built 3 years ago runs and idles like a gem drove the car every day to school my senior year and won at the mopar nats in may turning consistant 13.30's with 1.8 60 fts. my budget is 1500-2000.

if its consistent i wouldnt touch it and id race every weekend. build another motor and take your time and slowly give it the best of everything

if its consistent i wouldnt touch it and id race every weekend. build another motor and take your time and slowly give it the best of everything

i would if there was a dragstrip on long island!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually just looked at some EQ Magnum Heads and on ebay they are 350each assembled and they flow like 227 at 500 which is really well for magnums.

street strip car the motor in it now was built 3 years ago runs and idles like a gem drove the car every day to school my senior year and won at the mopar nats in may turning consistant 13.30's with 1.8 60 fts. my budget is 1500-2000.

If its heads or a stroker, I'd go with the heads, because I don't think you're going to get a stroker built for that price.

Buy the heads now, save the money and get the stroker down the road.

My .02!

Steve

With that budget i'd go with the Edelbrocks have them cleaned up out of the box,and a bigger cam something like the Lunati voodoo .494/.513,and step up to a 750 carb..save up for the stroker..

For your price range, I would get the heads, a proform main body to bump the carb up to a 750, and a bigger cam to better match the combo.

i say stroke it and up the compretion rember theres no replacement for displacements

Look around you can find some sweet deals out there now.
Look on racingjunk I saw a 408 on there for less then 2k.
Take your time, post some wanted ads for what you need.
Good luck & keep us posted.:)

Boy this is a tough one . The 360 loves and needs compression more than it needs stroke . I would have to lean towards eddy heads to raise compression. Save up for a stroker latter.

-
Back