New here. My 68 Dart GT.

-
Welcome to FABO Codfish! Awesome transformation on the 68 Dart, and great job playing with the firechicken in the video!

DSC02385.jpg

Hey Codfish!Looking good,spring will be here soon enough.LOL.I have a question for ya.When doing your spring relocation,at the rear what did you do for the bolt holes(seeing you have the tirewell still)?Did you drill out,cut out for the bigger tube piece for the frame?Did you do a piece of plate with a hole?Or did you just use the hole there?I just finished a minitub on my 66 Dart and am getting ready to start the spring relo.while a eddy headed 408 is being built.Your car looks great!

P.S Did you have the rear shortened?If not,what backspacing do you have ? Thanks for any answers :cheers:

car pics 66 Dart 067.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys. Spring won't be here soon enough. -35*C here yesterday morning.:angry7:​

The Dana has been narrowed slightly. 53" face to face, OUTSIDE measurement.​

The steel wheels are 15x10", with 5.5" backspacing. I ordered the wheels and tires first, centered them in the wheelwells, and measured then for the rear. I have almost 3/4" clearance on the inside and outside of the tires.​

As for the rear holes for the springs, I assume you mean for the shackles right? i just used the hoes that are already in the frame, above the old mount. Just welded some big *** washers around/over the holes for extra strength.​

Hope this helps.​

As for traction in the snow, I'm tryin' to find tire chains wide enough to fit the drag radials.:-D​

gary​

Thanks Gary!I think I,m gonna use some plate and buttweld them instead of the washers.Thanks again,and keep her outta the ditches in that snow!8)

P.S No Codtails in the snow now!LOL

P.S.S Oh yeah,I was gonna mention S&W Racing has 6-8pt cages for $169

Great post Codfish... love the Dart! Wish I had the (1) time, (2) $,and (3) the know-how to do it "that right". Envious of the car- but not the weather... despite the torrential rain today- we have been hovering @ 85 degrees during the days lately here in sunny So Fla.
Great job!

Well it's getting a little closer to being on the road again.

Got the rear finally, and bolted in. Just waiting for the brakes now. Should be here in the next day or two. Have to get a driveshaft shortened, bend up some brake lines, etc.. Hardest part right no is finding a stupid 7290-1350 conversion u-joint. I swear it's like finding hen's teeth](*,).

gary

102_6253.jpg

102_6249.jpg

102_6246.jpg

WOW totally Sick, but done just right...

As for traction in the snow, I'm tryin' to find tire chains wide enough to fit the drag radials.:-D​

gary​

put a bunch of screws in a set of old wide tires, grind off the points from the inside, tubes and then put skis on the front = one badass snowmobile :cheers::-D

It's cold. I'm bored. Thought I'd post up a shakey vid of my first 1/4 mile outing.

th_clarenville.jpg

codfish

Looks like she hooked real good. What kind of time & speed did you run?

Seems like you launched around 2,000 - 2,500 - close?

Looks BADASS

Foot braked to around 2000.

Ran a 11.09@119 MPH in the vid. Next pass blew a head gasket. LOTS left in it yet:rock:

codfish

That thing looks tough with those tubs, and wheels.
If you live in Saskatchewan, and you are a newf, does that mean you cheer for the...

...Roof Riders?

Foot braked to around 2000.

Ran a 11.09@119 MPH in the vid. Next pass blew a head gasket. LOTS left in it yet:rock:

codfish

Bummer about the head gasket. Hope that's all that was damaged.

Reason I asked about the take of rpm is (I agree with "LOTS left in it yet) it looked like you weren't really whipping on it and there was more in it.

Nice time and speed. SWEET RIDE. Keep us tuned in to the repair.

Thanks

The head gasket is changed already. The FelPro 1009s I used had a VERY small amount of overhang in the chamber due to the chamfer in the block. Didn't think about it during assembly really.:angry7: Live and learn.

This time I'm using FelPro's marine gaskets. Bigger bore so no "hang-over" and supposedly a stronger gasket. Been running good since.

codfish

Dang it that car just keeps getting better each time I see it. Congrats,

Collin

Thanks

The head gasket is changed already. The FelPro 1009s I used had a VERY small amount of overhang in the chamber due to the chamfer in the block. Didn't think about it during assembly really.:angry7: Live and learn.

This time I'm using FelPro's marine gaskets. Bigger bore so no "hang-over" and supposedly a stronger gasket. Been running good since.

codfish

Glad to hear all went well and nothing else was wrong/damaged.

So I recall you are foot-braking it at around 2k. Are you planning a trans brake? Not sure how expensive one of those trans' are? I know the rebuild on my truck's trans (RH48-I think) set me back $3,500, but that wasn't just a stock rebuild, it was done by Diesel Transmission Technologies (DTT) and I didn't go w/any billet shafts.

Any idea on the cost of a trans-brake transmission and what would it do for you? Other than brake more drive-line components.:banghead:

Really dig the way your car launches - square and firm digs right in a says "See Ya!".:thumleft:

-
Back