new here - need pricing advice on a 67 Dart Gt

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
hey everyone

well i've been on the hunt for a fun little cruiser car that i can get my muscle car feet wet with so to speak. dont have tons of money but i do have a bit of cash and a sportster bobber i built to offer in trade. well i tried selling the bike 2 times on ebay and nada.

so i have been working out a deal for a 67 dart gt with /6, 88k miles auto on the floor, buckets, etc all new tires, drums, wheel cylinders, and a few other suspension items.

he was asking 5500. i can get it for about 4500 (inc the bike value in the deal plus some cash).

preob is i have NO idea what these cars are worth. some people are telling me to do it in an instant. some say to ask HIM for money for the bike plus the car.

as mopar people, do you think this car is worth 4500? i know tough to tell from pics. i have looked at ebay, hemmings, manheim gold, kbb, nada and everywhere else i could find and his price seems fair by those publications. but what would the "Real world" value be? it is a running/inspected/registered car.

thank you all

- jason

11790006.jpg

11790008.jpg

11790009.jpg

11790010.jpg

11790012.jpg

11790013.jpg

11790014.jpg

11790023.jpg

11790024.jpg

11790025.jpg

She looks like a nice car. A little ruff will need a new headliner and a rear seat cover and I see a little rust in there, where there is some rust there is allways some more hiding some where so give it a verygood look over and ajust the price if needed. I would say that car is worth around $3,000. I would not pay more then that for it any way.

Welcome to FABO! Good to have you here.

Is that a crack in body filler on the passenger front quarter behind the tire? I would really look for signs of rust under the paint. Get on your back and look inside the rear quarters behind the rear tires. If it's rotted there will be a lot more hidden in other places. Just look for bad body work and go down on price from there. It gets really expensive. I say if it's worth what you are willing to pay.

I just paid 4500 for a 67 GT Slant six buckets console with 81,000 original miles on it in December.Its a Cali Car its whole life,and was in great shape 99% rust free.It also came with some extra parts that I sold to recoupe some cash. I feel like I got a good deal.But 4500 for what I see in the pics is a little much.

thanks everyone
i stopped at a local chop shop / hot rod shop and 1 of the guys was telling me he thought from the description that it sounded like a fair deal.

obv the guy has more than 4200 into the car so in one sense he'd be taking a loss. at the same time if i did the deal as he and i have discussed, i'd be getting 100% of my bike build costs back so to speak. i hope that makes sense. so in other words i am tryin to determine if this car is worth 4200. if it is worth 3500 then i'd be losing 700. which is def still much less than he is losing. but % wise that 700 i would lose is pretty significant.

argh - i do like the car just not sure about dropping 1800 cash PLUS a bike. but the bike has only fetched 3500 on ebay after 2 listings. i may offer him1200 cash plus the bike and see what he says. its more low-ball but i'd feel a lot better about things. i was on the bike last night and it is a heckuva lot of fun.

posting some pics of the bike for you to get an idea of what the trade is.

front1.jpg

rear5.jpg

rear3.jpg

tank1.jpg

top1.jpg

pipes1.jpg

pipes2.jpg

bag1.jpg

rear4.jpg

Get a fair unbiased appraisal on both. Are you counting all your time in building the bike? It looks pretty nice. I would think you are close to an even trade.

yeah i just dont really know HOW to get an unbiased view. car guys like the car, bike guys like the bike lol. i dont have that much time into and even then i build because i enjoy it and it keeps me at the house instead of the bar. i'd love to be able to get paid for the labor but in this markey i don't really worry too much about it. as long as i dont take a loss i am ok. just feeling hesitatnt to drop 1800 plus the bike.

Get the bike appraised by a reputable bike shop and get the car appraised by a reputable classic car place. same guy doesn't have to appraise both that would be a biased appraisal anyway.

oh yeah that makes sense! duh should have thought of that. thanks for the good idea.

Car looks nice, it has some issues but is in an attractive color scheme but its only worth what someone will pay for it. I'm thinking straight up trade. At least you have a good indication what market value of your bike is. Apparently he can't sell it for $4500 so its worth less than that. I'd be concerned about the appearance deteriorating in a few years - it's difficult to tell from the pics but it looks like the car has some body work/body filler. For me the drum brakes would cause me to NOT get this car or at least plan on spending another $500 to $1000 to get some, around here I feel I have to have disc brakes because of the aggressive traffic.

yeah he mentioned the paint is def not the greatest. more of a 40 footer i guess. but even then that isnt my #1 concern. i plan on keeping whatever car i get into for a while and enjoying the process of a basic resto/maintenance. i know he just redid all the drums etc on the dart. i replaced the drums on an old 53 dodge truck with the rusty hope disc convo kit so i am confident in doing that if i had to. i may just go see the car with the bike, and see if we can work out a better cash deal. i'd do 1000 and my bike and prob be pretty happy.

ok well sorry to pop this thread back up but here is the last developments

i posted the bike on various forums and am getting estimates of value between 1500 and 4500

i just went to shops that i trust and 1 said 1800 and the other 3k ish. so i spoke with the dart owner and he would do the bike plus 1500 cash. initially he wanted bike and 2500. the bike is a blast to ride it really is. but i just dont need it. dont need a car either lol.

so as i mentioned i have est 2400 into the bike + 1500 = 4k for that car. argh. i hate being so indecisive. it's like i need a guarantee that i am making a sound decision. i was thinking of stripping the bike down and doing gloss black and simplifying everything but when i just rode it i dig the paint. but i guess if it is to sell then i need to be more generic. i can always build another one pretty easily as i have prob 40 hours into this one. maybe more but not a ton.

well i did it! i am a MOPAR owner now for the first time! i am sure some will think i paid too much and maybe a few others will think i got the better deal, but either way i am happy. that little slant 6 runs great - cruised 80 miles yesterday at 65-70 mph and even hit 85 for a bit. 4 wheel drums are quite the brake setup - not. yeah it needs some cosmetic love but i am real happy. got it for a little more than what i initially wanted to spend (which was 500) and less than what he wanted (2500). looking forward to thursday night - 1st cruise-in with the fam.

Well congtrats on your car. As long as you are happy that is all that matters. Enjoy it and have fun with it. After I bought mine I started doubting what I paid for it but after seeing other cars for sale in much worse shape for more money, I think I got the better end of the deal or at least my money's worth.

It sounds like you are pleased - no buyers remorse and that's good.
I hope the advice here helped.
Enjoy!

well i did it! i am a MOPAR owner now for the first time! i am sure some will think i paid too much and maybe a few others will think i got the better deal, but either way i am happy. that little slant 6 runs great - cruised 80 miles yesterday at 65-70 mph and even hit 85 for a bit. 4 wheel drums are quite the brake setup - not. yeah it needs some cosmetic love but i am real happy. got it for a little more than what i initially wanted to spend (which was 500) and less than what he wanted (2500). looking forward to thursday night - 1st cruise-in with the fam.

I think we all go through this at some point or another. The main thing
is that you enjoy it. I sold a 72 'Cuda that was mint 2 years ago and
bought (and overpaid) a 70 swinger 340 about 6 months after that.
I will NEVER get all my money out of it, but that's not why I bought it.
I bought it because it was an original blue, 340, 4 on the floor Dart which
had everything I wanted.

Keep in mind it's the love of the cars that is the real payoff with ownership.

Congrads. Take care of her and remember we are just temporary custodians of rolling history.

Welcome aboard, Jim

-
Back