New here, will be looking for advice!!!

-

3LOWmileV's

3LOWmileV's
Reaction score
Hi guys (gals too), wanted to say hi & give a heads up that I will be needing some advice on a 1969 2 door valiant (bone stock original 39K with auto & 170 /6) regarding increasing performance a bit. I don't want to hack it up as it's too nice, but am thinking about more HP (Hyper Pak setup?, Etc. rather than an engine swap?) and swaping in an 8 3/4" sure grip rear and disc brakes from a low mile 1970 4 door Valiant I have (are the '69 & '70 parts directly interchangible?), also should it acquire a 4 speed? (although I sort of hate to do anything that cant be undone fairly easily). I'll need to find an appropriate Mopar "expert" to do most changes I decide on, can deliver the car wherever for work. I do mostly detail/cosmetic work myself. Car will be for street, not strip, casual performance use. Beyond new heavy duty rear springs & a set of wider powder coated rims from a Formula S with appropriate tires, I'm not sure or set on where to go with my plans.

v10 (2).jpg

v1 (2).jpg

Hello and welcome. I look foward to the leaning tower of power build up.
Swingout the 170 for a 225 and no one will know. (Well, maybe most everyone won't.)
Cubes are king.

them valiant sure look sweet, glad you made it here.

Wow, that looks great! If you are going to do all that work anyway, why not just swap in a V8? TTI headers and Schumaker mounts should get the job done without any cutting needed. If you are worried about value, I believe your car would be worth more with a V-8 than a completey original /6. I saw a 69 Valliant with a mild 360 sell for $12,000, while I watched a 15,000 mile 66 valliant that was perfectly original barely sell for $6000. Thats the approach I am taking with my Dart, it will be worth more as a 340 GTS clone than the original /6 GT.

welcome to the fun!
these guys are VERY knowledgable and extremely helpful, you'll enjoy their thoughts.
like your 69, looks nice.

i as well wonder about the interchangablity of parts from a few years....got a beat up '70 Valiant, so i am gonna be long term thinking...glad you are here to see what your adventures add up to!

blind, sits on the bench in the welcome wagon. :blackeye:

the\6 do run nice. Why not try a diff approach and put a 2.2 turbo on it. Maybe a hyperpak a header and see what it'll do. welcome BTW and Happy holidaze :headbang:

Welcome abord.
You will find it to be about 50/50 on what to do with your car.Half will say pull that /6 and put in a 8.The other half will tell you you would be crazy to pull the 6.The condition of your car I think you would be crazy to pull the /6.That car is a true survivor and should stay that way.If you want to build a V8 car find a V8 car or a beater /6 car and put a V8 in it.

I had the same dilema with my Dart.I was within a wisker of going the 340/360 route.I stuck with the /6,built it up a bit and thats the way the car will stay.I finally got the V8 bug and am now building a 70 Dart V8 car.

Just really think about it,and have a solid plan before you do anything.

077_77.JPG

Thanks for the welcome guys, I knew this was the right site to get honest advic from experienced folks. My thoughts at this point: 66signetv8 - great car to look over as I think about my '69, Johnny Dart - I think you are reading my mind with regard to this stock survivor. I have decided to do nothing until I have a definate long term plan in place for this '69 2 door Valiant. Likewise, I have also decided that I will NOT use my 10K mile '70 Valiant sedan as a parts donor (disc brakes, 8 3/4 posi, 225/6) - again just too nice to butcher (all original, including paint, even have the original 6.95 Poly Cushion tires it left the factory with!). Bottom line, am leaning toward doing a hyper pak type set up on the original engine (a 170/6 - I think this is the size mother Mopar used in the early '60's for its hyper paks, correct?), also retaining the numbers matching auto transmission, then just upgrade the brakes & rear (saving the original parts that would be removed if it ever was to be returned to factory stock condition). Need to think more about it until spring, perhaps the 2 '70 4-door Valiants I've got will be looking for a new home to fund this project (engine build up, rear/brake/suspension upgrades, & full proper repaint). Last thought, I want to keep it looking original as a sleeper, but what do you guys think of complimenting the original paint color with matt black across hood (from outer fender edge to edge) and brought back onto roof (up the a pillar and back on top of doors), ending just below the rear window? THANKS AGAIN FOR THE WELCOME!!!

I am fairly new myself, but a big welcome to you! Great looking Valiant! I would definately keep the slant six in her.

Russ

Nice cars, original unrestored cars are only original once! Not to mention they are very hard to find. I would'nt change anything that you can't change back. I would never part out the other nice cars you have, I would just look for parts, disc brake swaps are easy and parts are out there. A hyper pack would be way cool! Those engines run great in a light car, besides, it would get more attention than a HEMI!! My dad has a 1964 Fury 225 2dr with 22,000 miles, unrestored like new. Sure a max wedge engine would be cool but why be like everyone else? My opinion, I would stay away from the stripe if you want the cool sleeper look. Good luck, the people here are nice and helpful! Merry Christmas!

I think you keep it orginal. As mentioned earlier the car will just be orginal once. And have many good lookin g 69 Valiants do you see out on the streets? I for sure haven't

Welcome aboard from pa. The car is worth more with a v8 but you have the advantage of driving your car as you collect the parts you need for your conversion. I have done this and have everything bought but an intake, carb and schumaker mounts. Enjoy your car as it is fresh to you, you will soon want a 340 after a few car shows. PS I will trade you .510 solid cam lifters and adjustable rockers for that 8 3/4, to get you started. :) your mopar brother walt. :blackeye:

-
Back