New here with my first Mopar

-

65 Mopar

66 Ficks
Reaction score
I'm excited to be here to make new friends and learn about my new to me Mopar! I just bought a nice 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet with a 340. Very nice car and my kids love it! My parents had a 1967 dart that my dad drove till 1985. This 66 valiant has that same smell I remember as a kid. If my dad were here today he'd love the power of the 340 compared to his slant six...but he loved that slant six.. Anyway, happy to be here!
Kevin

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome aboard, that is a very groovy early A you have there sir :thumbsup:

Welcome to FABO! Very nice Plymouth you got there!!

Your dad would have appreciated the power, but I'm sure he liked the gas mileage of the slant!

Thanks guys! Yes, she moves well with the 340. What I know from talking to the guy who built it and owned it for 36 years is it has 355 gears in a sure grip rear end, 727 tf, the eng is a 71 that was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago .030 over with a purple cam.

It runs like a top, but I know I can get more out of it...but before I do anything I just want to pay it off and enjoy it. I can't wait to get ideas from you guys. One thing that is bothering me that I want to fix right away is the drivers side vent window; if you open it there is no resistance and the wind blowing past it closes it back up. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet but hopefully it's a quick and easy fix.

Thank you guys! I look forward to conversation with this family of mopar enthusiasts. When I get some time I will start a conversation in the right area of the forum. Thanks again,
Kevin

Nice car and welcome! Looking at your latest pics the first thing I would do would be to chuck that single master cylinder and upgrade to a 67-later dual master cylinder. If it has drums (and being originally a slant) probably has 9 inch drums, I would upgrade to a minimum of 10 inch brakes and preferably discs. Want to keep your little helper as safe as can be!

Nice car and welcome! Looking at your latest pics the first thing I would do would be to chuck that single master cylinder and upgrade to a 67-later dual master cylinder. If it has drums (and being originally a slant) probably has 9 inch drums, I would upgrade to a minimum of 10 inch brakes and preferably discs. Want to keep your little helper as safe as can be!
Thank you, and yes, I have many questions about upgrading the brakes. Right now it has 9' drums up front and I'd like to convert to disk. I was told by the guy I bought it from that he wanted to use those 14" rims that are on it and disks wouldn't have cleared. Not sure if this information is accurate or not?
I have two little helpers to keep safe..

image.jpg

1966 Valiant Signets are great!!

Very cool car, and disc brakes are possible with 14' wheels. I have this combination on my '66 Valiant.

nice car and welcome... discs?, you go many different ways, some cost more, but any good disc s etup will be good! the 73-6 A body disc setup should be the cheapest and works great. do a s earch and you will find many threads on disc conversion.

-
Back