New Ignition, Help

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I was setting the timing on the 360 in my Duster and got a little shock. So one of the wires is leaking, so figured it was time for an upgrade. I was going to get new spiral core 8mm wires, brass cap and rotor and a new Mallory coil 29217. Then get a Rev-n-nator box. Car still has the stock coil and ignition box.

I see that the GM HEI is a popular conversion on here. I don't know much about it. How would it compare to the above setup I was thinking of getting? Whats going to be the better bang for the buck?

Biggest problem I have with the guy selling that system is some of the claims he's made. "40 hp increase" at one point. Ridiculous claims such as that belittle credibility on what MAY be an otherwise good product.

Biggest problem I have with the guy selling that system is some of the claims he's made. "40 hp increase" at one point. Ridiculous claims such as that belittle credibility on what MAY be an otherwise good product.

Well he says 10-40hp gains. He is no different than anyone else trying to sell a product claiming more horsepower. Take cold air intakes manufacturers they will claim the same kind of gains. So I wouldn't hold that against him.

Anyone have any ideas between the 2 setups i was thinking about?

Also keep in mind Where are you going to get another one if it dies.
You will have to order and wait for it.

Same with built in to the distributor HEI.

Same with MSD, or any of the other performance setups.

Not with my HEI kits, as you can get parts in any town on any day in stock and plug it in.
The 10-40 HP is BS with any ignition, but HEI systems overall start better, run better, get better MPG, and better power than OE Mopar electronic due to the 50,000 volt spark that we run our plug gaps at .045 -.050 with.

There are a few nayayers about the advantages of the HEI over the Mopar ignition, but I don't think even one of them has run HEI.
I think those same people hunt deer with sticks because it worked for cavemen, when most of the rest of us use rifles now.
All of us that do run them noticed the obvious advantages immediatly.

Here is the site for my HEI systems, and there are a lot of really happy users of this system on FABO.
www.classichei.com

Well he says 10-40hp gains. He is no different than anyone else trying to sell a product claiming more horsepower. Take cold air intakes manufacturers they will claim the same kind of gains. So I wouldn't hold that against him.

Anyone have any ideas between the 2 setups i was thinking about?

Don't hold it against him? Why in hell NOT? I'm real tired of exaggerated claims. If you want to sell me something tell the freekin TRUTH Here's the thing. When you start trynna bullshit me, and I figure that out, it makes anything else you might have to say unbelievable even if it might be true.

Look for posts on "ready-to-run HEI distributor" here. $45 for a new small block one (ebay) is quite a deal. Simple hookup. With an e-core coil, it can throw a powerful spark. I can't see it giving even +10 HP if the prior ignition worked, even an old points ignition. The main advantage is easier starts, smoother idle, better mileage, and less pollution.

-
Back