New Lancer GT owner

-

Macpherson

Reaction score
Hi. I've just purchased what turned out to be a 1962 Lancer GT. I bought it as a 170, based on the 170 emblem on the trunk, but discovered from the VIN and the fact that it's a 2-door hardtop, that it is actually a GT. It's in primer and needs a complete interior, but the engine has been rebuilt already. Biggest PITA is going to be the seats. The previous owner started the project, but since the upholstery was shredded, he threw the seats away. Yeah, you read that right... no seats. Same with the door panels.

On the positive side, in addition to having the engine already done, the body is straight with only a little tinworm on the rear of the rocker panels. The glass is intact.

My biggest concern is finding a source for parts. Any suggestions are appreciated.View attachment 20150207_102939.jpg

View attachment 20150207_102916.jpg

The 170 is not a reference to engine size. That is the model. It is probably a 225.

As to buckets use the fabo classifieds or since you have a clean slate mount some late model buckets with the seat belts integrated . Check your block if that is not paint you might have a rarer piece with the block . Cool car , have fun with it Lawrence

wow! these old toads are popping up everywhere! you'd think they are too old to breed?

they have a cool factor that's hard to explain to some??

Welcome and like barbee6043 :glasses7: these are a piece of hard to find art :color: Welcome aboard :cheers:

Welcome to FABO Macpherson . There have been a few Lancers on here being parted out so you should be able to find some parts to help you out.

Thats the same car that got me started on this lifelong passion. Still remember riding with my parents in that car:coffee2: Have fun with your restoration.

Dave.

The 170 is not a reference to engine size. That is the model. It is probably a 225.
Part number on the block is 2463230-2, which, according to all the references I can find, indicates 170. Wouldn't mind finding that it's a 225, but there's nothing to support that wish.

A quick way to tell if the engine is a 170 is to look at the bypass hose. That's the hose that goes from the underside of the head to the water pump. All G engines (170cid) this hose is almost 2 inch's long and on the LG engine (225cid) this hose is 3 inches long.
It's another story to find out if it's a 198...

actually my 62 post lancer is a 170 model with the 170 ci engine. 3 on the tree. possibly back in 62 since the slant was a new engine, and such a light car, maybe the 170 was pretty common.

it would be cool to have a tape of the "compact" car race at Daytona, the first and only year it was run...... where the slants won and placed what was it the first 6 or 8 places, beating everyone else!!?????

-
Back