New lifter break-in procedure?

-

71dustar

Reaction score
Last week, I took the 'ol girl out for a spin and towards the end of the drive a slight tapping in the valve train started to occur. Today I was able to go through the rocker lash and found that one of the lifter retainers has come lose. The lifter needs to come out and be rebuilt/replaced. If a new lifter is installed, what precautions should I take to ensure a proper break-in?

Jon

generally using new lifters with an old cam is not recomended, as they need to wear in togeather.

Check the bottom of the lifter that contacts the cam. It should have a slight convex shape and not be flat or concaved. Look closely at the cam lobe too. There's a good chance the cam lobe is going flat. You didn't mention which engine you have and whether you have adjustable rocker arms. The old iron 273 adjustables are noted for loosening up. Most are 45+ years old and are worn out. Occasionally you will have a bad lifter. Oil it and add cam assembly lube to the cam lobe and the lifter surface. tmm

The engine is a 360 stroked to a 408 with roughly 1200 miles since the build. Currently the hydraulic lifter is disassembled within it's grove because the retaining ring has come loose. I am not able to pull lifter out of engine without removing the alum eddy heads.

The engine is a 360 stroked to a 408 with roughly 1200 miles since the build. Currently the hydraulic lifter is disassembled within it's grove because the retaining ring has come loose. I am not able to pull lifter out of engine without removing the alum eddy heads.

You can't get to it by pulling the intake?

ouchie.

as far as breakin, you can soak the lifters in oil overnight before installing, and put white lube on the cam surface.

if you pull all the lifters out to check them, make sure they go back into the same spots... they seat themselves to the cam. "personalized" haha

what kind of lifters are they, do you know?

I may be able to get to the lifter by pulling the intake; I will find out after I finish cooking some dinner.

Lifters are comp cams as well as the cam.

if you take the heads off you need to check the valve that was on that lifter. if it's bent even in the slightest you need to change it out.

contact the builder. maybe they will send you a new cam and set of lifters. they should last the whole life of the engine...

if you do change the cam and lifters check back here. cam removal and installation is a whole topic in itself

Thankfully I was able to pull the lifter out once the intake was off. My next question is, does any one have an exploded view of a hydraulic lifter? I'm not sure where the valve plate (circular shim with 4 holes in it) sits because it could sit underneath the spring or on top just below the pushrod seat.

generally using new lifters with an old cam is not recomended, as they need to wear in togeather.

have put new lifters on used cam several times and never had a problem...the problems comes with used lifters on new cam...

soaking lifter over night fill lifter with oil...and is fully pumped up....if the lifters are fully pumped up and the valve will be not close ...and that cylinder will not have compression...and the valve might hit the piston...

have put new lifters on used cam several times and never had a problem...the problems comes with used lifters on new cam....

X2. It is completely acceptable to put new lifters on an old camshaft. All you gotts do to verify that is look on any camshaft site FAQ page. Pretty common knowledge. I'll add this too.....if the lifter plunger retainers are those cheap *** wire retainers, I would scrap thew whole set and get a good set with the flat snap ring retainers. They are much more durable.

-
Back