New Magnum heads?

-
Doesn't look like factory.Been watching EBay,a while.Don't recognize that seller.

I'm not looking for factory, looking for new stock better castings.

If these are new heads its kind of weird they want a core exchange and specify new valve like you put used valves in a new heads sound like there rebuilt heads to me even though they say new castings.

They claim that these are "new" heads, then when you read the exchange procedure it tells you to put your heads in the box that you received the rebuilt heads in, hmmmmmmm

If these in fact are rebuilt heads 280.00 each seems high.

Maybe it's just me.

Like 63 said - find and outlet for a set of Engine Quest replacements.

where's all the important #'s

cc size
intake/ex size

Did i miss them??

I'm curious about the valve spring specs on the EQ heads listed. Also, I thought all EQ's were factory magnum-size valves? Those show as 2.02/1.60?

I think it probably is the new casting, but they want to core because they will rebuild and re-sell those separately. If you look they sell a new Jeep 4.0 head for $450 (and require a core) and they sell a rebuilt Jeep 4.0 head for $319. I think they just don't have any rebuilt magnum heads right now but if they did they would probably be quite a bit less. Also notice they have an auction for the pair rather then the single but list the same $150 core charge as the single.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-5-2-5-9...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item53eceed984
On the saturn forums they like the J&C better then Odessa which is the other big national rebuilder. I got a head from Odessa for my neices saturn before I read that and it was fine as well.

I would go with a set of the EQ magnums but I just dont see spending $800 on a set of heads right now. What I really need is to find a set that someone has laying around that either has low miles on them or that just had them redone and are just sitting around.

I was also thinking about just getting a set of rebuilt stock heads because of the price, but I'm worried about having issues with cracks in the chambers around the valves and stuff.

There is a place in Fairmont WV called J&C enterprises that repairs cracked heads very reasonable. 304-366-4536
This guy has been repairing heads since the mid eightys and is very good.
Might be worth a phone call.

There is a place in Fairmont WV called J&C enterprises that repairs cracked heads very reasonable. 304-366-4536
This guy has been repairing heads since the mid eightys and is very good.
Might be worth a phone call.

Thats the place on ebay I was asking about. I called them earlier and they seem pretty cool. I was just pricing a set of remanufactured heads on ebay and for 195 shipped each I can get a set with a 12 month warranty. Thats what I will probably do.

here is the response I got from the seller:

They are exactly as stated, new casting with factory reconditioned parts, just like all cylinder head rebuilders offer.

I think our price is probably better though.

Just let us know if we can be of help.

You can also call our shop manager Rob toll free at 1-800-266-5599 with any questions. He will be glad to answer them for you and help you with an order.

Thanks, Tim

:

They are exactly as stated, new casting with factory reconditioned parts, just like all cylinder rebuilders 
So their new heads and valves with reconditioned springs, keepers and retainers, Still don't believe there new castings.

For 195 each shipped how could you go wrong?
I had a 3.9 Dakota head fixed by my local shop a month ago and it ran me $150

I wish they were offering these when I rebuilt the engine for my car. Both of the heads on my motor have cracks, but as far as I know aren't leaking any water.

I was also thinking about just getting a set of rebuilt stock heads because of the price, but I'm worried about having issues with cracks in the chambers around the valves and stuff.

stock magnum heads are notorius for being cracked so you'd do well staying away from them. If the heads your looking at on E-bay are truly new castings they either have to be EQ's or RHS. I have EQ's on my car and they don't have any markings on them like the ones your looking at on e-bay. All RHS heads I've seen have RHS cast onto them in big letters so you can't mis them. At 1st when I started reading I was like the others in thinking something sounded fishy if you have to send in your old ones but if they verify their new heads maybe they just want your old castings to refurb and resell?

I'm curious about the valve spring specs on the EQ heads listed. Also, I thought all EQ's were factory magnum-size valves? Those show as 2.02/1.60?

No idea on the springs. I believe all EQ's are cast as 1.92 intakes but a lot of places open them up to 2.02's. My EQ's were 2.02's when I bought them new. Got them from Hughes who opened them up. The exhaust size should be 1.62 like magnums.

-
Back