New master cylinder and portional valve

-

old goldie

Reaction score
I am replacing the master cylinder, portional valve and rear wheel cylinderss soon. What would be the best way to get things stated with bleeding? Gravity or vacuum pump? I have power disk brakes on front and 10" drum on back.

Bill

There are several ways to do this job.
I would not do the whole job at once. I would do each job by itself.Start at the top, and work my way down and to the rear.
You will need a helper.
Start with a bench-bled M/C. Installed. Top it up to about 1/2 inch from the top.
Move to the Proportioning-valve(BTW, why are you changing that?It almost never makes trouble.)Block the brake pedal down about 1 inch. This will prevent draining the M/C through the compensating port,during the valve removal.Spread out the rags. Protect your paint. Keep the brakleener handy as well as clean paper towels.This will be messy. Remove the 5 lines from the valve, and swap in the new one.Do not tighten the lines,just snugged.
Now lets gravity-bleed that puppy. Ok, release the pedal depressor. Crack the two large fittings at the topside of the valve. Let the M/C drain down about 1/4 inch or so, while observing the fittings.You want to see both lines bleeding clear bubble-free fluid.When this time comes,snug them up a bit, but let them seep a bit.Top up the M/C. Then crack the other 3 fittings. They should run clear almost right away.Then start snugging fittings,from the top down.Top up the M/C.
Next is the pedal test.But I go for lunch first. This lets any tiny bubbles rise to the top.They usually accumulate right at the top fittings.So, after lunch, I crack those fittings,one at a time.While theyre cracked I depress the pedal a bit to force just a bit of fluid out,and snug the fittings while the pedal is still depressed.Then release the pedal.Next,with a flashlight, I eyeball the compensating port at the bottom of the reservoir, while the helper gently,slowly, begins to stroke the pedal.Each time the helper releases the pedal, the fluid will return to the reservoir, perhaps in a fountain.The pedal release has to be slowly, and or a little less stroke.The shoe-return-springs can make quite the fountain.So start off with very short,slow-release strokes. Sometimes the fluid will bring bubbles with it. I call this "tickling the pedal". So tickle it,til no more bubbles come.Put the top on, and secure it . Depress the pedal, looking for a hard pedal.If the pedal is hard,you can final-tighten all the fittings and you can move to the wheel cylinders.But if you didnt have a hard pedal before, you may not get a hard pedal after.So, we will have to get to that after the new wheel cylinders are in and the brake shoes are properly adjusted.So you can get to those now.By now, you know that I prefer the gravity bleed system,perhaps with an assistant now and then, on our old A-bodies.
Ok thats it for now

See youtube for "bench-bleeding" the MC. You may need 50 strokes to get all bubbles out and don't skimp or you will be sorry. Don't need to do it on the bench. I always install in the car so I can use the pedal.

I always use a helper stroking the pedal. You need a good "call & response" method or you will be fumbling all day. I say "down" and wait for the helper to respond "down" when fully down, close the bleeder, then say "up" and wait for response. On the Wheeler Dealers show, they did exactly the same. I have tried "one man bleeding" w/ vacuum pump, but never trust it. I think the pedal helps sweep any crud thru the lines.

First i appreciate the quick responce to my question. I agree with comment on the proportioning-valve. (I was thinking ahead as a worse case senario.) This morning I started with bench bleeding the MS. All seemed ok as during the process a little air came out and after a few times of pushing the pump all I could see was clear fluid being added to the resirvior. Now I am gravity bleeding (and keeping a good eye on the fluid level) MS. I noticed that the fluid in the larger resivior the fluid came out almost emediately so I watched it for a couple minutes and then added a plug to keep the fluid from coming out. I have not yet seen any fluid come out. I assume this is normal. Asoon as I see any fluid come out of the small resivior. I will procede to the next stage. I appreciate the help I am getting with this. I've allways wondered if bench bleeding the MS could be done on the car!

always bench bleed first. then i gravity bleed, then in a week or so gravity bleed again and thats usually it.. brakes always feel great.

Greetings All,

I want to thank everyone for the information that was shared during the issue with the brakes on "Old Goldie". It was very much appreciated. We have her all back together and all is great.
I did learn a little more about the old beast during all the TLC. I always new the came with a 198 (E22 code) and also a dark gold reptile grain canopy top (V4Y code). During the time of research I found out that the V4Y option was not a option for the 198 engine just the 225 and 318.

I need to pick every ones brains again! Does anyone know the production numbers for this combination? Or know where I can find this information.

Thanks again for you help

Bill

-
Back