New mech cam/not removing in spring tricks?

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I want to change my Mopar 528 Cam in my 440 to a 557 Mopar purple stick or possible a Lunnati in that range?
DOES EVERYBODY REMOVE THE INNER VALVE SPRING OR ARE THERE SOME TRICKS??? (for break-in)
\
maybe I should change handle to "TOLAZY":sleepy5:

This is a stupid question and perhaps the moderator will remove it.
I need to do it right!!!!

Are your sure that this increased lift won't cause the valves to strike the pistons? You can use lighter springs to break-in the cam if you want. The heavier springs prevent valve float at higher RPMs. They also put quite a bit more load onto the lifters, cam and pushrods. Break-in muight be easier with lighter springs, but if you do this, when you switch to the heavier ones, you should do another cam break-in too.

Yes, remove the inner springs for break-in.
The reduced spring pressure will be insurance for a smooth break-in of the cam...less chance of scuffing and/or losing a lobe.
The high spring pressure is needed for high lift and high rpms.

get a can of moly paste and brush it on the cam lobes and bottom of the lifters. put alot on and you can use the springs on the heads without removing the inner ones and it will be fine.
what are you try to achieve with going to the cam. i think with that little bit more cam the only thing you will acomplish is lighting you wallet.
i may be wrong but i wouldn't reccomend that change.

get a can of moly paste and brush it on the cam lobes and bottom of the lifters. put alot on and you can use the springs on the heads without removing the inner ones and it will be fine.
what are you try to achieve with going to the cam. i think with that little bit more cam the only thing you will acomplish is lighting you wallet.
i may be wrong but i wouldn't reccomend that change.

I wanna go fasssster! im TOOSLOW !!! LOLL -is there ever a "FAST ENOUGH"?
I increased my static compression to 10.5 to 1(getting AL heads back from the machine shop I had them milled) and I want as much HP as I can get in the 2500 to 6300 RPM range.
Presently I am running a 528 Mopar Cam but i would like to step up a bit.
I don't want to go to big and get out of my RPM window
I will take your advice Sir and spec out a bigger hughes mech flat tappet.
All there lobe seperations are 108??? I read you need a little more lobe seperATION TO BLEED OF SOME COMPRESSION ON THE STREET???
I don't want to get involved with a roller-to many variables for me.
Mech Flat is simple and less stuff to break! Plus I read with the wide lifter bore .904 of an RB block you can get pretty agressive with the cam ramps?
This is a 446 CI

What about your heads? Can they handle the extra flow from the cam,ie;are they stock iron heads? If not you are throwing money out and will possibly go slower.

What about your heads? Can they handle the extra flow from the cam,ie;are they stock iron heads? If not you are throwing money out and will possibly go slower.

Source440 heads and I had them cleaned up(mild porting) 72cc chambers now
I had 906's at 84 cc's before with 9.5 to 1 Static. Flat top pistons w reliefs(not forged though) HYP

I would remove the inner springs, your right. I had a comp 306 magnum solid flat tappet go flat and I had done everything right except remove the inner spring. I would also use the zinc/sulfur additives that are out there. Flat tappets aren't what they used to be and need all the odds stacked in their favor. I kick myself because I had to replace the cam, lifters, the oil pump, and the rod and main bearings. It was about a thousand dollars and a huge amount of work for my brand new motor that had about 20 minutes of run time. I was so bummed and frustrated that I pushed it aside for 3 years and didn't get to enjoy the car because of my own laziness. Please do all the pain in the *** steps you wont regret it. Oh as a side note the .557 is a great cam and you wont see 800hp more from a cam change but you will see 20hp, maybe, and 20hp from milling the heads, and maybe 20hp from something else and then it starts to add up. Competitive racers will tell you that it is usually the little things that add up to make a combo the best it can be.

TurboDart68 I am going with 557 . From what i read everyone likes it and it gives a little more performance than the 528(lots of good reviews) Plus my heads are cleaned up and some more compression added.
I have been eating lean and dirty dancing so there goes another 10lbs--Whewww-LOL

I had to replace the cam, lifters, the oil pump, and the rod and main bearings. It was about a thousand dollars and a huge amount of work for my brand new motor that had about 20 minutes of run time. I was so bummed and frustrated that WOW----I didnt know a lobe going flat would cause all that damage!!!
I will take my time and remove the inner springs then drive it to church on Sunday if I have too!!
Thanks for your replies

I'd remove the inner spring. Are you sure it is double springs and not single spring with a dampener.

Attachments

• P7110057.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 221
WOW CUDA20 that is a buetifull(gorgeous) notchback. I want one but can't find one I can afford unfortunately.

I am going to purchase new springs to go with the cam I choose. Dn't trust the Source440 springs and i am sure they are great but a little self assurance goes along way

I have to agree with the bob shingler post. I've done dozens triple spring cam insto's with moly lube and never had a failure! Good luck, CHECK YOUR CLEARANCES!!! Use rosen core soldier for valve clearances because you can actually "mike" it. Under 6500RPM 0.85 shuold be ok!
Al

I had to replace the cam, lifters, the oil pump, and the rod and main bearings. It was about a thousand dollars and a huge amount of work for my brand new motor that had about 20 minutes of run time. I was so bummed and frustrated that WOW----I didnt know a lobe going flat would cause all that damage!!!
I will take my time and remove the inner springs then drive it to church on Sunday if I have too!!
Thanks for your replies

Lol! Good luck it should sound and run great.

I have to agree with the bob shingler post. I've done dozens triple spring cam insto's with moly lube and never had a failure! Good luck, CHECK YOUR CLEARANCES!!! Use rosen core soldier for valve clearances because you can actually "mike" it. Under 6500RPM 0.85 shuold be ok!
Al

Great tip--How do you check the clearance with the solder?
Do you bolt the head on with solder on top of the piston
instead of clay?

-
Back