New member formula S 1966

-
IMG_0245.JPG
Thank you

That's a darn cool car!! There are a few things I could point out...

The radio is an aftermarket unit, not available from the factory! The rear speaker is also not correct, it would not have a rear speaker no matter what radio you had! The radio you have does have the correct outer knobs tho, lending credence to a dealer install! The location of your speaker is the correct location for the rear window defrost if so equipped, a seldom seen option!!

Yes, your car would've come standard with a 7 1/4", 8 3/4" was an extra cost option in late 65 and 66, and would not have been standard no matter what drivetrain it had! The certicard clearly shows that is was ordered with a Suregrip and an 833 4 speed!!

I would love to see more pics in the clear daylight, it looks like a great find!!! Welcome to FABO, and the wonderful world of A bodies!!

Last edited:
The weather was cold, snowy, slushy and grey. We were well into afternoon by the time we got to Detroit from Fort Wayne. Even though I had wanted to visit different dealerships, spending the night there was not part of the plan, so in a way, serendipity led me to the top choice. I liked the Barracuda immediately . . . except for the black top. Vinyl tops, black or white and sometimes a neutral like cream color were newly in style. The dealership gussied it up with a painted on textured finish look-alike coating (see picture). I didn't think much of it, and told the salesman to find a model just like it without the top treatment. All they had was a coupe without the fastback, or an automatic transmission version, neither of which were appealing.

As I headed out the door the negotiation-dance began. In the end, the final price was $2865. They took out the original factory AM radio and replaced it with a new aftermarket Motorola AM/FM. (The old VW had a Blaupunkt AM/FM, which had made an impression.) I later installed a 4-track tape player, the precursor to the more familiar 8-track. It was cutting-edge technology for the time. Later, thieves would smash the driver’s side quarter-glass window when the car was parked at the Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne campus and steal that 4–track.

That's a darn cool car!! There are a few things I could point out...

The radio is an aftermarket unit, not available from the factory! The rear speaker is also not correct, it would not have a rear speaker no matter what radio you had! The radio you have does have the correct outer knobs tho, lending credence to a dealer install! The location of your speaker is the correct location for the rear window defrost if so equipped, a seldom seen option!!

Yes, your car would've come standard with a 7 1/4", 8 3/4" was an extra cost option in late 65 and 66, and would not have been standard no matter what drivetrain it had! The certicard clearly shows that is was ordered with a Suregrip and an 833 4 speed!!

I would love to see more pics in the clear daylight, it looks like a great find!!! Welcome to FABO, and the wonderful world of A bodies!!
The fender tag has no radio

Pictures of radios. Black button is a am/fm from a 70's Valiant and is the same as a 1966 radio but has black button. The Chrome button radio is a am . Factory am/fm 1966 radio would look like this with the dial of the black button and the same chrome push buttons.

20170127_183541_resized am 66 radio.jpg

20170127_183704_resized am fm radio.jpg

The Motorola radio lights the same in the fm area and was I am hoping dealer installed if not it's gonna be radio delete as the tag reads unless I can find the build sheet, (HOPE)
Thanks for that information very helpful and pictures

Good eve,
Super awesome find!
Look for yer build sheet under yer passenger seat. Strangely thats where I found what was left of mine. Dang mice.

Good eve,
Super awesome find!
Look for yer build sheet under yer passenger seat. Strangely thats where I found what was left of mine. Dang mice.

Could be taped to the top of the glovebox liner as well! Just found what's left of one there!!

Welcome,nice project. Mine is Citron/Citron int,Formula S, 4sd,8 3/4...My first car...a few yrs back

Thank you all for the welcomes and assisting with searching locations Tomorrow will be the search day! Yeahhhhhhhhh

No blue streak there, but the jack is complete........ thank you
Blue streak should be correct. Bought my '66 back in '01 and it was all original except for radial tires. It came with a worn blue streak tire for a spare. Thanks for saving another '66...If you haven't already found out it you soon will there is a lot of 1 year trim parts specific to '66. You came to the right place! Lots of great guys/gals here that can help you out! Our '66's have similar options see my sig below.

Last edited:
Blue streak should be correct. Bought my '66 back in '01 and it was all original except for radial tires. It came with a worn blue streak tire for a spare. Thanks for saving another '66...If you haven't already found out it you soon will there is a lot of 1 year trim parts specific to '66. You came to the right place! Lots of great guys/gals here that can help you out! Our '66's have similar options see my sig below.
Nice cud a very clean interior as well. Thanks for the view

The Motorola AM-FM would be cool to keep. Sure beats the remote FM converters that came along about that time and were horrible for reception and sound quality.

Anyway $139.95 for the aftermarket radio seems like a stiff price for 1966. I don't know how much money a Chrysler dealer would have charged for a Mopar radio, but I did find a 1966 accessory price sheet for that lists the AM/FM radio $86.72. I think this is a dealers price and not retail. But it seems a Chrysler dealer could have been price competitive for someone wanting an AM/FM radio. Apparently the owner of your Barracuda thought otherwise or perhaps the Chrysler dealership sold and installed Motorola radios.

upload_2017-1-28_12-19-37.png

Last edited:
IMG_0241.JPG
The Motorola AM-FM would be cool to keep. Sure beats the remote FM converters that came along about that time and were horrible for reception and sound quality.

Anyway $139.95 for the aftermarket radio seems like a stiff price for 1966. I don't know how much money a Chrysler dealer would have charged for a Mopar radio, but I did find a 1966 accessory price sheet for that lists the AM/FM radio $86.72. I think this is a dealers price and not retail. But it seems a Chrysler dealer could have been price competitive for someone wanting an AM/FM radio. Apparently the owner of your Barracuda thought otherwise or perhaps the Chrysler dealership sold and installed Motorola radios.
I was talking to the previous owner, he claims the first owner was a roadie back then. Thanks for that information very cool, you can tell by that speaker cover it been there for a long time.
View attachment 1715012534

That's a well optioned 66! The fast ratio steering is a pretty rare option. If it has it, the steering wheel only turns 3 1/2 times lock to lock.

-
Back