New member from central Texas.

-

Rcs734

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently picked up a 4 door 73 valiant that someone dropped a 360 in. It needs some work to get it back on the road. The engine runs, but the front end needs attention.

Can you guys tell me what the sizes of the nuts are for the control arm strut rod? The driver side is missing both. I'm guessing they aren't something i can get at a hardware store, but thought I would ask.

Russell

0623171342.jpg

0623171910.jpg

I think that they're special. If you post a "wanted" ad you'll get plenty of offers.

Fellow Texan!!

treblig

Thanks! It should be fun for sure. I'll give the wanted add a try.

I thought I might try the local dealership and see what they have too.

Hello all,

I recently picked up a 4 door 73 valiant that someone dropped a 360 in. It needs some work to get it back on the road. The engine runs, but the front end needs attention.

Can you guys tell me what the sizes of the nuts are for the control arm strut rod? The driver side is missing both. I'm guessing they aren't something i can get at a hardware store, but thought I would ask.

Russell

View attachment 1715061938

View attachment 1715061939
Welcome from an okie. Don`t put too much faith in the dealership, I tried to find an oil pump gasket for a r/b yesterday, no such luck, our car and engines are dinosaurs now. " BOOMER SOONER ! "

Welcome aboard, I am sure many members can fix you up and have the nut's mailed to you in now time, enjoy this great bunch of Mopar nut's here :thumbsup:

i can check tonight, i may still have them from when i converted to coil overs.

Some how, I knew that was coming ! LOL

Of course! and btw, the 2018 OU recruiting class is looking pretty good, just about par with UT's...should make next years Red River game pretty good! I think you guys will spank us this year though.

Of course! and btw, the 2018 OU recruiting class is looking pretty good, just about par with UT's...should make next years Red River game pretty good! I think you guys will spank us this year though.
agree, started to post that. may be a good yr. if we can keep our babies out of jail !

You can use standard nuts...

I've seen two different configurations on strut rods, some have find thread on one end and coarse on the other and some have fine thread on both sides...

The one I have handy has 9/16" find thread on both ends...

I have a car that has 5/8" coarse on the front side that takes the bushing....

Go to a good hardware or home improvement store that carries a good stock of fasteners and find some grade 5 or grade 8 nuts in the sizes that you need... Look at your rods to see if they have fine thread on both ends ore one fine thread and one coarse... Measure yours to be sure that you get the proper size... (or buy a few of each option and return the ones that you don't need...)

You can use standard nuts...

I've seen two different configurations on strut rods, some have find thread on one end and coarse on the other and some have fine thread on both sides...

The one I have handy has 9/16" find thread on both ends...

I have a car that has 5/8" coarse on the front side that takes the bushing....

Go to a good hardware or home improvement store that carries a good stock of fasteners and find some grade 5 or grade 8 nuts in the sizes that you need... Look at your rods to see if they have fine thread on both ends ore one fine thread and one coarse... Measure yours to be sure that you get the proper size... (or buy a few of each option and return the ones that you don't need...)
Just looked at mine. I think the back is a regular 9/16 nut, but fine thread. Front looks like a type C lock nut (beveled end,deformed thread) I think it is 5/8 coarse and also has a pin through the rod end.

welcome-wagon.gif

Thanks guys, the front does look to be coarse and the rear fine.

-
Back