New member from Los Angeles, California

-

GTdriver

Reaction score
:cheers: Hello everyone and Merry Christmas. I've been a member for a few months now but just not active. I'm here because I now own my dear long ago deceased Grandmother 1966 Dodge GT. All white with bucket seats, slant six, automatic and only 26k miles on it. It's in very nice, if not perfect, condition. Grandma bought it new just before she retired. Soon after she bought it she became a diabetic and was soon too blind that she couldn't drive. When Grandma passed 20 years ago my aunt inherited it along with Grandmas house. Auntie was a hermit and never drove anything. But she would not turn loose of the car. It just sat there in Grandma's garage. At least it was parked under cover. When Auntie passed away about 10 years ago my Mother inherited everything. She had it completely gone through by a mechanic to assure everything was in working order, drove it around the block and parked it. She didn't like it. No power steering! So she left it parked in the driveway because she moved into the house and had too much stuff stored in the garage to leave room for cars. I put a good cover on the car and tried to care for it as best I could but she would not let me take it home. I stopped caring for it a few years ago because I was becoming obsessed with it. I just had to let it go for my mental well being. This year we had to put my 88-year0old Mom into a home for Alzhiemer's. I now own the car and have it cleaned up and running nicely. 10 years under a cover in the California sun was not kind to it. It took weeks of gentle scrubbing with Soft Scrub cleanser to remove the stains in the white paint. There were may other issues to resolve but it's coming along nicely now. So that's the story of Grandma's Dodge GT. And make no mistake about it. It will always be Grandma's Dodge.
Now a little about me. I'm 67 years-old and looking at retirement from a long career in the SolCal aerospace industry. Born in Hermosa Beach, and growing up in SoCal it was almost manditory that I be a car nut. The car culture through the 50's, 60's, and 70's was an intergral part of our manhood. If you didn't know how to change you own oil "you must be a little swishy". I cannot remember how many cars I've owned. Easily hundreds. Currently my passion is my 1985 Pontiac Fiero GT with a Camaro 3.4. She's lowered 2", rolls on 17' wheels, brakes upgraded to Dodge Viper 13" rotors and Corvette calipers. Custom leather interior, digital dash and a great sound system. Future plans are for a Cadillac 4.9 v8.
I have no interest Hot Rodding Grandma's Dodge. She would not approve. But I do want to upgrade it wherever I can to make it more comfortable to own and drive. In SoCal it should have A/C. 15mpg is unacceptable. I'm looking at fuel injection. She definitely needs some suspension work. Sits too high in the front and leans so much when I turn that I think I'll fall out of the seat. Disc brakes (at least in the front) would be nice. And an indiscrete sound system would be greate. But I'll never get rid of that "All Transistor" AM radio. No tubes in that baby!
So here I am with my first Dodge and my first slant-six. I'll be relying on all of your experience for guidence on preserving Grandma's Dodge.
Merry Christmas to All.
GTdriver in L.A.

Marry Christmas and thank you for a life story on your Grandma Dodge
As you know there are some of the best of the best tec's and members here to help you see this through
I remember staying with an uncle in NorWalk, I could see the big square sign from his place. That has been over 45 years ago and I bet it has changed allot
Looking forward to this upgrade build, I am getting about 27 mpg running a bone stock 170 /6. and she is my daily driver three on the tree and a little dual pump 390 Holley

lets get started :cheers: Can you show us any pictures, =P~

Attachments

• 69818_168407529841268_100000160677390_581069_625332_n.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20033.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Challenger%20IN%20NASCAR%20Cup%20race%20017.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 232
Welcome to FABO, GTdriver, from the OC! You're going to have fun here.
I've also been in aerospace industry for quite a few years but not ready for retirement yet - well, I'd like to but not economically feasible.
Great story about your grandma's Dart. Going to make a fun little driver.

Wecome to FABO. Make sure to come out the Spring Fling Mopar show in Van Nuys next April 16 and 17, 2011. There is the biggest Mopar swap meet west of the Mississippi and it's in your back yard. New and used Mopar parts. You should be able to score some small bolt disk brakes there. Those will need 14" rims if you don't allready have them. Moog is a prefered brand for suspension rebuild parts.

You can get a used factory front sway bar 64-66 A-body, but you'll need 66-72 lower control arm with sway bar tabs. Or you can buy the super slick Hellwig kit with superior mounting hardware that will work with your current lower control arms.

Also some 318/273 air conditioning equipted .87 front torsion bars from 68-76 A-body with V-8 and air conditioning will help sway control too without breaking the budget. Like $50-75 used. When you rebuild your front end the T-bars have to come/slide out anyway. Do them at the same time.

You're welcome to come up to a Chrysler Performance West mopar club meeting. We have them in Granada Hills. 2nd sunday of the month 7:30 pm behind the shopping center southwest corner at Balboa Blvd and San Fernando Mission Rd. http://www.cpwclub.com/about-us/content/

That's a heart warming story, after so many years finally Grandma's Dart is getting the care it deserves. Welcome to FABO, now you're officially giving into your obsession and letting go of your mental health lol:cheers:

keeping the car in the family ,that dont happen much like that anymore i am sure its quite the jewell and welcome to fabo you will get a lot of primo info here

Enjoy your retirement and your new project. Here's the one I used to own.

Attachments

• 100_5334.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 166
-
Back