New member here... 1965 barracuda.

-
The AC is likely aftermarket but put on many years ago. Been on there for at least 25 years that I know of.

I'm sure that A/C has been there forever. The compressor is the same one my parents had on their new 1971 Road Runner. The air grabber equipped cars were not available with factory A/C so the dealer had an A/C shop add A/C before final delivery. Only problem is the car did not have the proper tinted windows, radiator, fan, fan shroud, or water pump impeller.

Welcome aboard. Get all of your electrical connections and grounds done first. Start at the headlight sockets, work your way to the tail lights. You will need some small s/s wire brushes, contact cleaner. Toothbrush and gun cleaning type sizes. Dielectric grease. Replace all of the fuses, bulbs with quality parts. No China/Taiwan stuff. This will save you a lot of time chasing down electrical problems as they were common even back then. Don't cheat, you will only hurt yourself if you do.

Got the motor bought. Getting it ready to drop in.
Resized_20170930_141306_8706.jpg
Photo363111.jpg
Resized_20170930_141306_8706.jpg

Resized_20170930_141334_9449.jpg

Years ago most cars especially compact came without A/C, dealer installed A/C was common on a lot of these cars. Also the York compressor is a tip off that is was install either by the dealer or places like Sears,Montgomery Ward, JC Pennys etc. Fortunately York compressors are easy to come by if yours is bad. That and the expansion valve are the most common to go bad on these systems. You should replace the dryer while it is apart.

Years ago most cars especially compact came without A/C, dealer installed A/C was common on a lot of these cars. Also the York compressor is a tip off that is was install either by the dealer or places like Sears,Montgomery Ward, JC Pennys etc. Fortunately York compressors are easy to come by if yours is bad. That and the expansion valve are the most common to go bad on these systems. You should replace the dryer while it is apart.
Good to know... thanks!

-
Back