New member in Arizona

-

AZBarracuda

Reaction score
:sign2:

Hello. My name is John, and I am addicted to cars.

<crowd responds> "Hello John."

I've been and addict for 40 years, since I was 5 years old (and could name make/model/year of every car on the road). Since I am an admirer of all things automotive, I can't say that I am a died-in-the-wool Mopar guy (don't hate me! :sad1: ) ... but I am devoted to good old American muscle cars.

Here's my story ...

(WARNING: It's a long read, so you might just print it out and save it for your next trip to the "reading room".)

Up until a couple of years ago my automotive crave had to be satisfied by hooning around in my daily driver and collecting Hot Wheels. (Lots of Hot Wheels!) In 2006 the heavens broke loose with the sound of trumpets, the sun shone brightly, and the family finances were such that I could fulfill my life-long dream of owning a muscle car. With my wife's blessing I began the search for the perfect project car. On the shopping list were things like '69 Charger, '67-'70 Mustang fastback, '68-'70 Roadrunner, '70-'72 Trans Am, '36 Ford Coupe ... my eyes were open to a wide range of opportunities. The first deal to come along was a two-fer: a '70 Mach 1 and a '70 Mustang convertible. COOL! His 'n Hers hoopties! Now all I had to do was to finish the rather lengthy home improvement honey-do list and I could start on one of the 'Stangs. Two years later, that @#$%! honey-do list still wasn't complete, but my son would start driving in a few months and he needed a cool car for high school. Time to change the priorities.

I had been storing a rather ragged (a.k.a. basket case!) '67 Barracuda roller for my brother in law for a while, and my son indicated that he kinda liked the looks of it. Personally I didn't want anything to do with that generation of Barracuda; they just weren't on my radar screen. My brother in-law tipped the scales when he gave the car to us for a father-son project. (Truth be told, his wife didn't want him desecrating their brand new home with that butt-ugly project car so he had to do something with it.) Well, my son and I dragged the Barracuda into our garage and began stripping it down for restoration. OMG! The rust was rather prolific. Being handy with a welder I was not put off by having to replace floors and the trunk, but when I found that the bottom 2" of the driver's side A-pillar had rusted away, and the C-pillar was rotting too, I decided that this was not the car for a first-timer. We needed something cleaner. It didn't take long for Craigslist to come up with a replacement ... a '67 Barracuda with a 340 and 4-speed located in Tombstone, AZ (of all places). We piled all of the parts into the first fish and put it back out in the corner of the horse corral in case we needed a donor. When we stripped down the "new" Barracuda it was pretty much the same story ... rust. I was duped by shoddy repairs covered in thick undercoating. I decided that since I had invested money in this one that we were to forge ahead with it. I sent it out for media blasting, primed it up to prevent rust, and began the sheetmetal work.

As work progressed, things didn't go according to my vision. Where was my son? When I was 16, I set about restoring a '63 Chevy PU all by myself because my father was not a car guy. Being a product of my loins, I assumed that my son would have similar ambitions ... that he would be eager to work on the car. Not so much. When he wasn't studying, he gravitated towards computers and video games. Even when I lined up the easy work like clean and spray-paint this, sandblast these things, etc., he showed little motivation. He wanted to drive the car, but just couldn't seem to muster the ambition to build the car. I told my son that if I built the car alone, then it would be my car. Even that didn't get him into the shop.

<sigh>

So here we are, two years from when we took apart the first Barracuda. The plan was for my son to drive the car for his junior and senior years in high school. A year later, the plan was to have it done for his senior year ... then that goal became graduation. However, due to the general lack of interest, I allowed other things to take precedence. No one has touched the car in over a year. Last I remember I was fabricating caps for the rotten torsion bar cross members and installing new the front floor pans. The engine has been machined and is all ready for assembly. The plan is to make a mild street machine, 340-4spd with an OD unit, sunset orange in color, black "340" side stripe, and black interior. Going for a clean car with a low and mean stance.

I'll get back to it soon. When it's complete I might share the Barracuda with my son ... after I have one of the Mustangs done.

Well, I've laid it all out. I hope you will accept me into the FABO fold. :-D

--John

Doing the 67 barracuda thing too. What part of town are you in. I"m out west. Just getting to the paint and body now.

Edie

Obviously your son doesn't want the car bad enough. My dad (NOT a car guy in the slightest) bought me my '70 Duster with stock 318/904 and that was that. After that point I had to purchase all of the parts needed to fix it up myself which luckily wasn't that much. I personally am more into the mechanical aspects of the car and I rebuilt the front suspension, redid the brakes, removed the engine and rebuilt the top end when the stock timing set gave out, and right now I'm saving up for a dual exhaust system and newer 4-bbl. carb/intake setup. I've probably put over $2000 into this car, and we bought it for $3000. My dad regrets buying it for me and keeps pushing me to sell it and buy something newer and more reliable but I tell him that's not going to happen for a loooong time. I have big plans for this car (a hot 360 Magnum w/4- or 5-speed manual and a road-race chassis setup) and I don't plan on getting rid of it at least until that's done. I also plan on buying more Mopars down the road, most likely a C-body (hopefully an old Chrysler or Imperial) and an E-body (Barracuda for sure). People either have the hot-rod bug or they don't; in fact, getting a car was what got me off of (for the most part) computers and video games.

Welcome AZBARRACUDA. you've got some good a-body company out on the west side within FABO. I'm sure some of the more "locals" will chime in but welcome from Glendale.

Rick

Welcome to FABO from another Phoenician :sunny: Now if only the weather would cooperate a bit we could get back to working on the cars.....it's not too motivating when it's 115* :icon_smi:

Welcome from another MOPAR nut. Moved from Surprise to the mountains in Yarnell just over three years ago.
Morrison machine in Glendale has built some healthy mopar motors also.

Welcome! Good to have another Arizonan aboard.

My Dodge Dart project sounds a lot like what you've went through. I started with a car which was in much worse shape than I originally thought. Then I found another car locally with a real nice body and I started over on that.

The second car was sold to me by a man who, like you, had been building the car with his son. His son lost interest, so the dad sold off the car.

Funny how it all works out. My father had no interest in building cars either. I would have given anything if he had been...

Ooooh, so nice to see that I'm not the lone AZ guy on the board. So, do y'all ever get together at one of the local cruises (Main St. Mesa, or Central Ave Phx), cruise-ins (Scottsdale Pavilions, Goodyear Sam's Club, etc.) or shows? I need incentive to get out more.

-
Back