New Member looking for help valuing a 1967 Barracuda

-

Colea63

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I know a bit about cars, but nothing about Barracudas. I've tried to do some research and decode the fender tag before coming to you guys for help. I am trying to find the best way to find the value of this car to help a friend sell it. I asked a friend who is knows more than I do and he directed me to the internet, thank you.
Cole

Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Sports Hardtop
Engine: 273cid 2-bbl V8
Transmission: 3-Speed Automatic
Build Date: December 01
Axle: 2.94
ABC Options:
E1: Cleaner Air Package
R1: AM Radio
T4: ukn
X1: Tinted Glass (all)

The car has been parked for about 15 years, it's sitting on flats, all glass intact, interior is in good condition, ran when parked.

Inkedthumbnail (1)_LI.jpg

Put it up on craigslist for $7,000. It'll eventually sell. Any more than that, and he will be sitting on it for a long time. Whoever buys it will have to trailer it, or spend a weekend getting that it running and MAYBE roadworthy.

I paid $5,000 for my 318 a904 7.25 2.73 68 fastback back in 2015 and drove it from Eugene OR to Napa, CA. It came with a free mummified field mouse and a ton of pine needles.

Put it up on craigslist for $7,000. It'll eventually sell. Any more than that, and he will be sitting on it for a long time. Whoever buys it will have to trailer it, or spend a weekend getting that it running and MAYBE roadworthy.

I paid $5,000 for my 318 a904 7.25 2.73 68 fastback back in 2015 and drove it from Eugene OR to Napa, CA. It came with a free mummified field mouse and a ton of pine needles.

Would it be worth the labor and price of parts to change the fluids, tune up, and mount new tires?

More and better pictures would help, under carriage, interior, engine, trunk ect............. that is is you really want to know.

More and better pictures would help, under carriage, interior, engine, trunk ect............. that is is you really want to know.

Here is a couple more, I didn't take the best pictures because I thought my friend would want to go check it himself.

Are there known trouble spots on the body where rust could be?

I've been searching around and $7,000 doesn't seem unreasonable. The body is straight and it *should* be roadworthy with fluids, tires, and a tune up. I didn't check for rust, because the owner didn't mention it.

cuda buckets.jpg

cuda engine.jpg

cuda rear.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

The easiest place to look for rust is in the trunk. Especially the rear spring shackle area. Bottom of quarter panels. Look for bubbles or knock on them and listen for bondo.

Interior looks descent, that's a few grand

There could still be a TON of rust even though pics look decent.
I would check engine block to see what it is. Chances are it isnt a 273 anymore. It could be a 340 or ???
Exhaust manifolds could be 340 ones??
It has 2 ballast resistors and engine bay painted black(no biggie) BUT that could raise eyebrows to some. They may think "electrical issues"
Good luck, at a glance $6-7k looks like a good price.
Pic of dash? Those bucket seats and headrests are desired.
Looks like custom interior work on rear side panels and fold down panel where speakers are.

upload_2019-3-26_21-19-28.png

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Sports Hardtop
ENGINE: 273cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: December 01.
AXLE: 2.94 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Dark Turquoise Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Black Horizontal Accent Stripe.

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
E1: Cleaner Air Package
R1: AM Radio
T4: Unknown Option
X1: Tinted Glass (all)

abc OPTIONS:
j4: Moulding - Boldy Sill Narrow

If its not all rusted out or has been, and cleans up as nice as it looks dirty and get it running and driving decent that car would be a steal @ 7k.

Depends somewhat on your goals. If you just need to move it, then go for the Craigslist.
If you want to try to get its most value, then clean it as best possible, get air in the tires, and list at a higher price and be patient.
But if doing that, then definately give it a good look over for rust because that will kill a deal if the buyer is expecting a very solid chassis.
Most of the value in any car is in the body.
If its running, thats a bonus, but I don't know how much return will be on the effort.
I see a somewhat modified car. That may or may not detract from the price depending on the buyer.
Photos look pretty good already, but I'd still clean it up and get it rolling.

Depends somewhat on your goals. If you just need to move it, then go for the Craigslist.
If you want to try to get its most value, then clean it as best possible, get air in the tires, and list at a higher price and be patient.
But if doing that, then definately give it a good look over for rust because that will kill a deal if the buyer is expecting a very solid chassis.
Most of the value in any car is in the body.
If its running, thats a bonus, but I don't know how much return will be on the effort.
I see a somewhat modified car. That may or may not detract from the price depending on the buyer.
Photos look pretty good already, but I'd still clean it up and get it rolling.

I think the family will want to wait a try and spruce it up a bit, they were thinking about $5,000 so knowing cars like this *can* go for $7,000 is exciting! If it makes a difference, I am planning on helping them with labor if they want to get it running again. I did see you said the body is most important? Would a non-running engine in a Barracuda be an unattractive buy?

I think the family will want to wait a try and spruce it up a bit, they were thinking about $5,000 so knowing cars like this *can* go for $7,000 is exciting! If it makes a difference, I am planning on helping them with labor if they want to get it running again. I did see you said the body is most important? Would a non-running engine in a Barracuda be an unattractive buy?
I wouldn't call it unattractive. Depends on the buyer but a clean body is where most of the value would be. Usable engine is $1000.

^^^That's how I see it too.
A buyer who plans to hot rod it or race it could will likely value these things differently than a buyer who wants a driver or one who wants to restore it.

Cleaned up shows someone cares and maybe more important, removes question marks. Questions such as condition of metal under the dirt, whther it be rolled onto flatbed or will have to be dragged out. I'd pull the plugs, see if the crank will turn, change the oil and then decide if you want to try to start it. At least you'll then know if the engine is free etc.

That's basically what a flipper would do. Buy it low in condition like it is, hoping that a clean up will bring a better price than it took to get there.

As mentioned above. Crawl under and determine the engine casting. If it is a 340, the value goes up significantly from a 273. Air cleaner, ignition etc implies definite changes have happened to this car.

It wouldnt hurt to check. That exhaust manifold looks like 273 to me. A resto buyer will want it to be 273 and a hot rodder or flipper might want the 340 if its in good shape.

Get pictures of all the lower fenders, along the bottoms of the doors, in the trunk bottom and underneath.

If it has a 340 instead of the 273 then that would explain the Electronic Ignition Module on the passenger side inner fender, but were 340 engines ever painted red?

If it has a 340 instead of the 273 then that would explain the Electronic Ignition Module on the passenger side inner fender, but were 340 engines ever painted red?
The electronic ignition is a popular upgrade. Any car or engine could have it done.

Red was the engine color of those years.

Ive brokered car deals both ways as well as many other things along the way...that being said, all the posts are accurate.
sell it as you were buying it yourself.
The more you don't know about it, the more buyers will beat the price down on you.
9 out 10 people will walk away from rust but 10 out of 10 people buying a car like this will look for it. so check and see what you're working with

How did you come about this car? Or your friend?

-
Back