New member with 68 Dart and fuel problem

-

Tobor

Reaction score
Hello,

Glad I joined. I just bought a 68 Dart GT convertible with mega fuel problems. It would idle poorly and at times, just stop. No gas visible in gas filter bowl. Very aggravating. I pulled the original tank out yesterday. Sending unit rusty and pitted, the sock split at the seam and flapping.

No doubt I need to get a new tank and sending unit. I've read some of the threads warning of poorly made sending units that when installed, would not report accurate fuel levels to gauge.

I want to work smart and not have to do this twice as well as be penny wise but dollar foolish. Any advice to a newbie?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 178
How rusty is the sending unit. They all get a redish residue on them over time. I'd try cleaning in, blowing out the passage and putting a new sock on it. Then blow out the body hard line. And new rubber hoses.

That sorta looks like Rhinodarts (from Chicago area) old 68 Dart GT. IIRC, he put a reman 360 short block with 330 hp cam. Been for sale at various classic dealers for a few years it seems.

It doesn't make sense to try and salvage this original sending unit. I am looking for a new one that will work as well or better than OEM, especially to avoid fuel gauge inconsistencies that seem to plague the Chinese repops.

i put a new sending unit in my 74 and blew out the lines. no more problems.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 027.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 134
It doesn't make sense to try and salvage this original sending unit. I am looking for a new one that will work as well or better than OEM, especially to avoid fuel gauge inconsistencies that seem to plague the Chinese repops.

That will only be an NOS pickup or a good used.

Repro's all have the issues you pointed out.

Well, all this considered. I am ready to install a new gas tank and sending unit this week. Thanks to all for your help.

Welcome..and hope the gas tank sending unit issue gets resolved.

I think you'll find the tank and sender condition had nothing to do with intermittent fuel starvation. Fuel percolating in the carb bowl is the more likely cause.

Well, so far, you are right. I put in a new tank and sending unit and still the same problem. Isn't fuel percolation a heat problem? When I end up with no gas, there is literally, no fuel in the see through fuel filter. Does't that point to a fuel pump problem?

How do you fix, fuel percolation in the carb?

Frustrating!

the filter is never empty. It's filled with fuel in liquid form or vapor. If there is a break in the line somewhere air could be pulled into the system. Otherwise the vapor would have to come from liquid fuel changing form.
Cure method depends on what engine, carb, etc...

-
Back