-

69swinger340

Reaction score
Great site! I don't know where to start. I'm about halfway done with my very first restoration. I found a numbers matching 69 swinger 340 4 speed with a complete drive train and solid body in a barn (unbelieveable but true, I swear it). The motor is finished. The body has been sent off to the blaster and I expect it back soon. Meanwhile the 8 3/4 rear end has been completely refreshed, new ebrake cables all new brake lines, parts, and connections. The front end has been stripped down to the K frame and is being completely rebuilt with a slight modification. I'm installing disc brakes up front (keeping all the original drum parts, of course). The tranny has been freshened and is ready to go back in the car. I have some neat pics from the day it rolled out of the barn right up to this weekend. Looking for some parts right now and am in a bit of a quandry regarding the engine color for that year. The local mopar experts are telling me that there were no blue small block motors but I see some on this site and my initial research into paint codes showed that my 340 should be blue for the 69 model year..anyone have a difinitive anwer? One other question, working on the dash, specifically the light switch and a couple others, these look like they need some sort of special tool to remove. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim.

welcome 69swinger340! 340 engines can be either Turquoise or bright red color. i have seen both for 69. i think it has something to do with the casting date. i have seen both colors listed as being correct for 69. please post some pictures. if you have as many pics as you say then post them in the restoration section.

Welcome...the headlight switch shouldn't require anything special, you reach around the back of the switch and you'll feel a small button on the flat bottom...push that button as you pull the switch to the on position and the whoe arm should come out..as far as the bezel I use a screwdriver to spin it off. The wiper switch knob should pull off...might have a set screw or a spring retainer inside the knob.

Sounds great, Looking forward to pictures. If you need anything, I am sure you will get some great help at this site. Thanks, Mark

How to post pics to my garage, etc..all the images I have stored are failing because they are too large.

Nice find, I hope you post some photos of it in future threads. Welcome to the site! You can find a picture resizer in the Website FAQ section under "making photos friendly". HTH.

Welcome aboard, what a find cant wait to see pics. I am sure you will enjoy the site. If your engine is coded as a 69 engine the color is turquoise, if the engine was a 68 it is red and the 1970s were orange. The following link is for the mopar engine paint codes. Hope this helps http://tinyurl.com/rk7z7

69swinger340

I have owned my 69 340 Swinger 4sp for 36 years along with some of my friends who bought theirs new also. The correct engine color for a 69 340 is Mopar torquoise blue. It really almost looks like a cross between a blue green and torquoise. There were no red 340's in 69. 68 340's were red and the 70 340's were orange. Big blocks in 69 were orange. It doesn't matter whether the car was bought in California or the east coast. All the colors were the same. Year One sells the correct color for your car. Post some pic's of your car. I'll bet it's sweet! I just finished my resto on mine and did pretty much everthing that you're doing to yours. I hope it goes good on the resto!

416stroker said:
69swinger340

I have owned my 69 340 Swinger 4sp for 36 years along with some of my friends who bought theirs new also. The correct engine color for a 69 340 is Mopar torquoise blue. It really almost looks like a cross between a blue green and torquoise. There were no red 340's in 69. 68 340's were red and the 70 340's were orange. Big blocks in 69 were orange. It doesn't matter whether the car was bought in California or the east coast. All the colors were the same. Year One sells the correct color for your car. Post some pic's of your car. I'll bet it's sweet! I just finished my resto on mine and did pretty much everthing that you're doing to yours. I hope it goes good on the resto!
hey stroker again i have seen some that were not torquoise. here are 2 web pages that back this up, including the year one page.....again i think it has to do with it having an early casting date.....

eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

-
Back