new motor ideas block help

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
well if all goes well I plan to step up from the 451 motor in the next year are so...so I am looking in to race blocks price and whats going to work the best...I am sure I would like the aluminum but looking for all the pros and cons does and don't of them all...here is what I am thinking for a motor..
512 or 540 low deck
max ported -1 heads
right now I have a indy 400 intake 4500 top with rons toilet injection on the 451
this motor will have at lease 1 kit but looking in to 2 fogger
right now I have a 727 and may stay with that or glide if needed
ford 9 with 456 aluminum center
tire will be 10.5 car is chassis car weigh about 23/2400lbs
glass front end doors bumper and deck lid with lexan windows..
what motor set up would be the best...512 or 540 and what block looking for max hp
thumbs.gif

If he doesn't chime in, PM womanator and make sure he sees this. He's a good one to answer.

What class do you want to run? I don't think -1s in any shape will have enough to feed a strong 540.

You need to switch over to B-1s to feed 540". Don't get me wrong the -1s are great and I am using them on a 451 myself but I would go B1 if i wanted to add cubes.

not really a class more of the grudge stuff is what im looking at..but would like to be able to move around and run some races if possible and not be limited to just money runs:D

You need to switch over to B-1s to feed 540". Don't get me wrong the -1s are great and I am using them on a 451 myself but I would go B1 if i wanted to add cubes.

whats the run down on your 451??? I have 1 in my car not that I am tryin g to finish...what kinda power you making times it been if you don't mind

do you plan on max porting the -1's you have or buy another set?
if you're going to get new heads get the 572's or heads with some big *** valves.
go with an aluminum low deck block. if going 540" get 4.500" sleeves put in it and it'll be 100-125lbs lighter than steel.
4.375" x 4.250" with aluminum rods and the short pistons will be about as light as it can get.
with that 4.56 gear you will most likely need a very tall slick with you hotrod being so light.

i'd run what you got, get it tuned jusssst right so you get consistent time slips then make some money off her.

might require some travel depending on the tracks nearby or long distance. some of them all you win is a yah -hoo and a bushel of corn. put the extra money into your trailer/towing rig so you can get her to the money.

do you plan on max porting the -1's you have or buy another set?
if you're going to get new heads get the 572's or heads with some big *** valves.
go with an aluminum low deck block. if going 540" get 4.500" sleeves put in it and it'll be 100-125lbs lighter than steel.
4.375" x 4.250" with aluminum rods and the short pistons will be about as light as it can get.
with that 4.56 gear you will most likely need a very tall slick with you hotrod being so light.

hey bob hows it going ....yea thinking of getting the heads I have done max port...yea the aluminum block is a must....a buddy down the road offer a 493b1 motor up ..I plan to go check it out and see whats the specs on it...he said he went 8xx in the 1/4 in his Daytona but health is forcing him to get out of racing...but I think id like to start from a new block and work from there....just getting some ideas and looking at prices ...

i'd run what you got, get it tuned jusssst right so you get consistent time slips then make some money off her.

might require some travel depending on the tracks nearby or long distance. some of them all you win is a yah -hoo and a bushel of corn. put the extra money into your trailer/towing rig so you can get her to the money.

oh yes I plan to get this motor working well before we start the build a new motor ..but I would like to keep this motor as a back up once we get things sorted out with it and my son and myself learn the car..plus the nos that's going on it...around here its a lot of tnt cars at the local track that bout 30 mins. from me same cars same people every week and year...not much money get a race here and there, but when you go 1 to 2 hrs away that is where they race for the cash but been doing it for some time..so to be able to keep up going to have to step up..lolbut not rushing anything got a long learning process to go..and hopefully we can start that sometime soon this year with getting this 1 fired and going.....been in the shop to long sitting now but work was keeping me away from home for 5/6 days a week.....but we will see how and where things go... I think the 451 with a small blast of nos will be interesting down the 1/8 lol:D:D:D:D

whats the run down on your 451??? I have 1 in my car not that I am tryin g to finish...what kinda power you making times it been if you don't mind

The block is half filled with hard block, BME Aluminum Rods, around 15.5:1 compression with mild ported -1s. Not sure on power but runs 9.80s at 3080lbs in a ladder bar dart. Not sure what exactly the cam is either, builder won't spill the beans.

I just got a 400/512 short block im going with next year,690 lift cam and my 440-1 heads,65cc,not sure what that will do,have a stake stroke 440 that runs 9.70s now

Our 451 has never been on the track but the dyno results are interesting. It's 11.7:1 compression running on 91 octane pump gas.

440 steel crank cut to 400 mains
Scat rods
Ross Flat tops
Ported Edelbrock RPM heads
Indy single plane
Pro-Systems XC 1140 cfm Dominator
Custom Erson solid roller

RPM.........TQ/HP

3100.......417/246
3500.......503/335
4000.......535/407
4500.......547/469
5000.......570/553
5500.......573/600
6000.......594/679
6500.......584/722
7000.......575/767
7200.......574/787

That was the best pull ever, it generally ran around 772-775 HP. We've run it to 7600 rpm where it was still pulling over 500 lb-ft of torque. Just a little engine but kinda exciting. We're using 906 heads on it now with a smaller cam, M1 single plane, and a 950 cfm 4150, getting 580 HP.

wow what kinda power you think my little 451 should put out..

400/rbre short block
440 eagle crank and h beam rods
je 14.1 pistons
440 -1 heads cleaned up with 2.25 intake valve installed
t&d 1.5 rockers
713/690 lift bullet cam spec by ray barton
rbre billet steel main caps
2 1/8 headers
400 indy intake 4500 top with rons toilet set up
msd dist.
electric water pump

What I think it should do and what it will do will have no relevance.

I was laughed at when I told the magazine editors our's was going to make over 700 hp, because, the other 451 engines with the RPM heads were making less than 600 hp.

What I think it should do and what it will do will have no relevance.

I was laughed at when I told the magazine editors our's was going to make over 700 hp, because, the other 451 engines with the RPM heads were making less than 600 hp.

They quit laffin after the dyno pulls.

-
Back