New motor.....

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
Got the rebuilt 360 in , broke in the cam swapped the eddy for the road demon, tuned everything in got 130 miles on it.

It overheats, with in 8 miles it's up to 260 and it got so bad that I had to move the coil from the back of the intake to the fenderwell. Even with the stock fan and a electric fan it still overheats on a 38-50 degree day.

I pulled the #1 and #3 plugs about an hr ago cause it was running a little rough and the threads are covered with oil and their all charred and oil stained but the car dosent smoke.

The heads were a portland swapmeet score for 300 bucks. They were ported out on bolth intake and exhaust sides and have 2.02 valves along with HP springs in them. I dont know if they were magged and the water jackets didnt look like they were hot tanked. They looked like the guy cleanned them up with a wire wheel and then ported them and stuck new valves in.

I flushed the coolant system at about 80 miles but I havent changed the oil yet (it is still very clean). Maybe the guy ported the heads too much and thats why it's overheating? Oil on the plug threads = bad valve guide seals? I have an extra set I can swap.

I just want the damn thing to work right, It is a smooth runner when it works.

here is the link to some of the pics of the heads...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scamp...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

:cwm10:

When I broke my engine in it heated up to 220 right off and stayed there for the first few times I took it out. Also a high pressure rad cap, 16lbs, will allow the coolent to reach 240-260 without boiling over. Try a 180F stat and a 8-10lb cap.

I would double check your timing, retarded timing will cause overheating. also new motors do tend to run hotter, it is also possible that you have an intake gasket leaking and pulling oil into the intake ports, a vaccumn check will show this. if the vaccumn gauge reads steady then most likly its not leaking, if the vaccumn guage is not steady chances are you have a gasket leaking, you didnt say at what speed the car was being driven, but open road is always best for breakin.....50 -60 mph.. .. at lower speeds a fan shroud will help if you dont have one...

After you mentioned the intake gasket I started thinking, the block is a 76 360, the heads are 86 318s that have been reworked with a full port and big valves, and the gaskets are the ones that came with the summit rebuild kit for a 360 (got the heads after I started the rebuild) so maybe the gaskets are blocking off a water passage??? Is there a set of head gaskets that will work better for my combo or am I screwed?

I was working on the new motor and noticed that the fan wasn't spinning as fast as it should be, so I grabbed it and reved the motor up to about 5 grand.
30 mins and $70 later I had a new fan clutch and the overheating is gone!!!
That was the stock 7 blade fan from the 318 that was in the car 3 motors ago and I never thought to replace the clutch.

Dont forget the simple things!!!!!

Cool, now you can get on with it and not worry about it. Happy motoring!

-
Back