new mufflers...opinion please

-

leblanc

member 2883
Reaction score
Going down to the US in Sept and it would be a good time to pick up some mufflers for my 76 Dart Sport 360 with 325 HP.-- 2.5 pipes, offset, what is your opinion? I like the sound of the DYNOMAX, magnaflows are too loud for my taste.

MAGNAFLOWS, Dynomax Super Turbos or Ultra Flow, or my favorite Borla XR-1 are all nice mufflers with great sound and flow.The Dynomax's are depending on which model are a little easier on the wallet.

i like the dynomax super turbos that i have on my dart.

offset in and center out is what mopars came with.

LeBlanc
Look also at the new Dynomax VTs. You could run the 17956 and have a sweet sound, no drone, and plenty of noise at WOT. They really are pretty darn slick. We have three sets we are playing with right now. And, there is rebate on them too so for $75 you get state-of-the-art technology, great sound, no drone, and all stainless steel body and tubes.

We just put a set of 17956's on a 12 second 68 360 barracuda. I have two more with the weaker spring (17156) coming this week and we will do a comparison between them to see what affect the spring rate has on back pressure and sound level at various RPMs. It is weird that such a short muffler, with a 3" core with minimal packing, has such little resonation and roar inside during normal driving situations.

I have had 340s since 1978 and they are very tough to keep from resonating from 1800 to 2300 RPM. This muffler seams to prevent that roar very nicely.

As soon as we get the whole system sealed and leak free, I will try to get some very good sound recordings to share along with the data we plan to collect. Should get measurements later this week.

Tom

What's the weaker spring do in the 17156's vs the 17956's? The 17956's have a stronger spring that takes more pressure to open? Just curious...like these VT's but trying to learn more about them. Cant wait to hear the sound clips!

Beatnik, they tuned them to work well with little and big engines. The smaller engines with single exhaust or larger engines with duals typically get the lighter spring. The large engines and ones with lots of airflow get the stiffer spring.

The stiffer spring obviously keeps the valve closed longer so the sound level at low air flow (low speeds and small throttle openings) stays low and by nature of their internal tuning, the resonation is basically non-existent.

tom

VT Outlet open.jpg

VT outlet.jpg

VT Inlet w valve open.jpg

leblanc- To answer your orig. question and not totally hijack the thread...I had Magnaflow's on my 340 Dart and they replaced Flow's...I loved the sound of them compared to the Flow's. Some around here like to call them ridiculous names and knock them...but that's just ignorance IMO. I just prefer a straight through fiberglass packed muffler to a chambered muffler myself. Cherry Bomb Vortex is another I've heard good things about. I'm putting plain 'ol Summit Turbo's on my Scamp soon, again replacing the 3" Flowmasters currently on it that sound 'ratty' to me...

Anything but the FAGNAFLOWS!!! lol

Hey!! That wasn't nice at all. A lot of us on here use Magnaflows. I like the sound of mine.
How would you like it if someone called you Fagllinax95? I'm sure they won't, cause that would be mean.

My mufflers have been on over ten years, And are still like brand new. I used the 2 1/2 x 2 1/2.

Get a set of Imposter mufflers from Waldrons Antique Exhaust. They are totally the best. Recommeded to me by another FABO member.

I got a full 2 1/2 exhaust system for CHERRY and man I tell, it's to die for.

I have Classic Chambered Powersticks on my Duster, and I'm going to put one on my Jeep when I do the exhaust. Check them out here: http://www.classicchambered.com/

They have that raspy open sound like Flowmasters but with a smoother, less "metallic" sound at lower speeds. And they're pretty damn loud when you get on the throttle, some resonance at low speeds but highway cruising is quiet.

Magnaflows or Dynomax ultraflos..heading up that way in about a month going to P.E.I. on vacation..

Wanted to let all know I have both sets of mufflers now but last week I found out my very accurate, low pressure gauge was out of calibration and then it got damaged. The new one will be here Wednesday ($50) and then I'll get the mufflers on our 68, 360 powered 12 second Cuda, tested for sound, back pressure, and tone.

Tom

flowmaster 40

Agreed.

I have my Street only Dart's 383 engine with Shumacher Tri-Ys flowing through Flowmaster 40s, with a "H" crossover.

They emit a low growl at street legal RPMs, yet "Wild and Wooly" at WOT..

I've had Dynomax and currently have Magnaflows on my other car (a 1992 Camaro RS).

They all sound OK in their different ways, but I like the Flowmaster best for my Dart.

Just my opinion.

YMMV..

--

-
Back