new noise after replacing starter

-

Bock120

Reaction score
Replaced the starter in my 63 valiant 170 and now there is a knock when it first starts and then goes away. It has started to knock when sitting at a stop sign and doesn't go away until you start moving. Any ideas? could something have come loose when replacing the starter? was careful to make sure everything that needed to stayed in place. Any idea would help. I can't figure it out. Thanks

sounds like something is loose. my pappy use to say recheck the last thing you did. or check the easiest / cheapest thing first.

Are the starter mounting bolts/nuts all the way tight? Maybe one is or came loose. Double check.

If it is an automatic, check the torque converter bolts. Might be loose. If they are, it is probably just coincidence. They should be installed with blue locktite.

If it is an automatic, check the torque converter bolts. Might be loose. If they are, it is probably just coincidence. They should be installed with blue locktite.

Or torqued to factory spec in the service manual.

My guess the new starter didn't get in the hole just right, distorted the sheet metal dust shield.
As for the torque converter bolts. Only if the new starter generates more torque and produces a louder knock that the previous starter did, meaning those bolts were already loose.

My guess the new starter didn't get in the hole just right, distorted the sheet metal dust shield.

Yes, that's what I suspect happened also. That's why I suggested to make sure that the bolts are tight. It sounds like the most likely scenario that the starter may not have seated all the way to the trans housing when the bolts were tightened. Make sure that the starter is properly seated to the trans and not hung up (it has happened to me and I've caught it before).

-
Back