New old '66 Barracuda

-

eholster

Reaction score
First, a big thanks to all the information available on this site. For the last month I had been considering a purchase of a 65/66 Barracuda but really lacked any applicable knowledge (but a huge appreciation) about them. After reading through all the posts here I was able to get a sense of what I was getting into and also where I could go with it. After a drive down to Portland from Seattle to look at a monstrous POS '65 that had been grossly misrepresented I went to take a second look at a local '66 the owner described as all original, a "survivor".

It drove home with no issues, though badly needs tires and fluids. On the whole it is all there, though it really does need everything gone through. Not to mention a paint job. A couple spots of rust - obligatory spare tire well, passenger quarter, and passenger fender - unfortunately at the rear mount, and a little bit of crust on the drivers floor. The hood has a crease on the nose, but fortunately the car came with another one! Motor is all original with what looks like 140K miles (?), 2 barrel carb, which is soon to go out the window and over the fence - it's pretty cruddy. Car came with an extra 4 barrel manifold so I can sort that out soon enough. The car also came with all the components to install the console shift - hump, console, shifter, etc.
Interior is again, all there, and all in need of some freshening - headliner, carpet, plastic chrome, etc.
Overall I am pleased with the purchase and looking forward to starting in the refurb / resto.

Attachments

• L1000666 (Medium).JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 705
  • L1000669 (Medium).JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 692
  • L1000671 (Medium).JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 702
Very Nize
I hope you hang around and keep us updated
Welcome to this great site and congratulations on a great 66 earl A barracuda
I am a 66 Plymouth man myself, Just a sedan but she is all there .

Looking forward to your post's here :cheers:

Attachments

• Challenger%20IN%20NASCAR%20Cup%20race%20017.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 653
Very nice find, and welcome to FABO. Enjoy that car, it's a very nice start to what is going to be a really sweet ride!!! Am I biased??? Maybe so!!! Geof

Eholster,
Welcome to FABO!!! Another 66 'Cuda in the Northwest, can't beat that (in my opinion :iconbigg:). Looks like a great score.
Enjoy,
66Cuda-S

Welcome. Thats's a nice one. Its got a good patina to it. Is that the original paint?

Yes, it has the original paint... with heavy patina. Primer shows through on the roof. PO had a 66 Satellite that was the same color and touched up a spot around and just behind the gas cap with a spray can of matched paint. I'll have somemore pictures up shortly. Thanks for all the replys.

Looks like a great car. Is it from Craigslist in Edmonds? There's lots of good info and parts here...just ask. Power brakes? What other goodies does it have?

Looks like a great car. Is it from Craigslist in Edmonds? There's lots of good info and parts here...just ask. Power brakes? What other goodies does it have?
"Looks like a great car" And same to you - I looked at pics of your '66 here when I was lurking.

No, this wasn't the C'list car from Edmonds, but a C'list car from Des Moines. Washington, that is. I think I saw the Edmonds listing a while back - maybe was blue? Before I called on this one I spoke with a guy selling a '65 Formula S,off of Whidbey, but he decided on keeping it as it was a bit of a fire sale, and he had made a few bucks on some other stuff.
No power brakes here... (My daughter better take up leg presses, as this is the only automatic in the fleet and she gets her permit in a few months!!!), and they could probably, like everything else, use a going through. There is power steering, which I am sure she will be happy with, but in the interest of headers, I am thinking of scrapping it for a manual box. I guess the 20:1 box might cheer her up. Of course, if I switch it out before her permit she won't know any better....:evil4:
Not much in the way of other goodies... new gas tank, if that counts. Will need to sort out the sender.... Column shift, automatic. PO has a 3 speed w/ overdrive that may be available for purchase. This may mate well with the 360 I would like to build...
Time and money. Time and money.

That's what I saw too. A 20:1 box would be a great "upgrade" over the power steering for sure. Would like to see your car sometime.

Give a shout next time you're in Seattle - I'm just a couple minutes north of downtown.

Sounds like this is to be your baby.....not your daughters! If it's for her, I'd leave it the way it is. I can almost guarantee she won't like the manual steering and I know she won't like the 4bbl mileage.....

I'm sure Brett was happy to sell it. It's in pretty good condition overall.

Jimbo - yes, overall it's pretty good. I also told Brett what my overall plans were for the car nad I think he was happy to know it would get taken care of....
Yesterday I changed the oil and repaired a pinhole on the top of the radiator. Also started in some excavation under the car. Lots of underbody coating flaking off, but underneath in most places was original paint. What small amount of rust I did find (so far)was not all the way through. I did find the floor CRACKED, about 8 inches, at the drivers seat rear mount, up into the tunnel. It would make a hell of a whop, fwack, thud sound, and bounced around whenever it was flipped back.

Attachments

• L1000696 (Medium).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 535
  • L1000690 (Medium).JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 500
  • L1000685 (Medium).JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 499
Welcome, looks very nice, enjoy getting to know your way around your "new" '66.

No worries, get ready for a sorted love affair. I did with a "65 that I got in Tacoma several years ago. I got the car in time for my daughter to drive it for her senior year of high school. After that it was MINE! When I was done it had a new .020 340, a new 904 with a 3500 stall converter, a manual vale body, and a shift kit. A body SBP 8.75 with 3.23 suregrip, Hurst rachet shifter, and ralleys. Then I sold it with all the goodies. I should have kept the goodies.So in other words DONT SELL IT. Brett used to get all flustered when I would park it next to him at the local show.

-
Back