New/Old Car Joys/Blues

-

Jarvis

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first car to restore. My father has been doing this for a while, but I'm not much of a car guy. So, I decided I wanted to be. I just bought a '70 Dart Swinger with slant six. I'll post some pics soon, but I'll need a lot of help (information) with this so I'm sure you'll see me ask some really basic (ie stupid) questions. My first question is "does anybody know where to get repair manuals or something similar?" I'm looking to start off with just basic things to get the car working again.

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the site, you will be flooded with info here! :cheers:

Welcome to FABO! Congrats on geting you a 70 Dart. The parts store will have the repair manual(s) you will need.

Welcome and congrats on landing that Swinger! The people here have so much info they are willing to share, I wouldnt be as far along as I am without them!

Hey Jarvis -
Welcome to FABO:wave: and good decision on the '70 Dart!
Take a look at our club website, www.inlandmoparscarclub.com, and see the '70 Dart we're currently building as our 2009 charity raffle benefit car. It features a Paxton-supercharged 360/904 combo and is going to be a great little cruiser when done.
Keep us all updated with your build and be sure to include pics.

sometimes you can score the factory manuals on ebay cheap .welcome and the only dumd question is the one not asked.

Welcome aboard, I don't care much for the Haynes manuals. On ebay you should be able to get a FSM (factory service manual) on CD for pretty reasonable.
C

Welcome to the board. Sounds like there must have been real Mopar Nut in your life. Sorry to hear that you got into this hobby that way but Welcome Aboard. This a great site. Feel free to ask any questions.

Welcome, glad you found us.
Some folks don't like the Haynes repair manuals, but that was about the only thing my son and I had when we completely rebuilt his first car, a '74 Dart Sport. I don't recall ever encountering a problem the book did not address.

Later, I bought a Factory Shop Manual on CD from Detroit Iron Information Systems, Inc. You can find the information you need for the current problem, print the appropriate pages, and don't worry about getting grease on the pages of your $125 original manual.

Come back often and we'll try our best to lend a helpful hand,
Jerry

Here is my '70 Dart

You can see the engine, and the rust on the quarter panels.
Anyone drive a /6 or does everyone change to a bigger engine?

0R232302-10sm.jpg

0R232302-34sm.jpg

0R232302-28sm.jpg

0R232302-30sm.jpg

Good starting point! The motor is a matter of preference, a few keep the /6 motors but many opt for the 340, 360, 318 or a big block.

OK, first stupid question. I can't seem to find the hood release for my 70 Dart Swinger. The original owner's manual is still in the glove compartment (which was kool, although half rotted away), but I couldn't see in there where it is. Any help?

in your second pic with the hood open you can see the hood release. It's the lever attached to the hood pin. You have to open the hood at the hood itself, there is no inside hood release.

p.s. how did you get the pic of the engine?
p.s.s there isn't a trunk release either, you gotta use the key. :)

Welcome to FABO Jarvis! That's not a stupid question at all. For a second, I had to think about it. Baring that an interior hood release has been added, there is a primary latch just to the left of the center of the grille area. Pretend you are cupping something in your left hand, feel around that area and push up with your fingers. Once that pops up, there is a secondary latch. While holding the hood up a few inches with your left hand, reach in towards the center and the secondary latch moves from left to right (or was that right to left?). Either way, you get the picture.

BTW: I hate to criticize (because I love the car) but can we please take those aftermarket hubcaps off? I would rather run just run the steelies until you can find some dog dish caps to throw on there. You know, painting them body color would look pretty sharp (again, with the dog dish caps). Again, welcome.

Thanks guys,
First answer, I got the car from a dealership (I know, right). An older gentleman, I believe the first owner, turned it in as a trade in. I won the car on ebay, I just drove up and got the car on Wednesday. So the engine pic was from the ebay ad.
Second comment/question, Yeah, I know those hub caps are god awful. And what's worse is he has the matching ones for the front in the trunk (that I got into).

Thanks for your amazingly quick answers.

Welcome and let me say that I drive the /6 and enjoy every minute
I get to spend with her on and off the road.
Keep us updated on your great swinger.

-
Back