New Owner, Humbly Looking for Guidance

-
7milesout

His sister post is in reference to something I posted about PTC but decided to delete about my family there.
Nothing to do with you.

UPDATE - A buddy at the BMX track has a certain car shop. He fired one of his mechanics recently, so I got to thinking, that mechanic must have some time on his hands, and need money. Sure enough, that worked out. The guy came over, he's a good mechanic, but he and my bmx friend / shop owner just weren't seeing things the same way. We got the heater core out in 2 hours. The A/C lines only needed to be disconnected, there was no refrigerant remaining (not surprised).

I got a new heater core from NAPA. It looks just like the old one. I put the core in the heater housing last night, fit just fine. Tonight the guy is coming back to my house and we're going to put it all back together. Hopefully no snafu's. I will put coolant in it and fire it back up and see how it does.

If the brakes still work, and all fluids check out, I'll take it out and fill the tank. And will text 72dart and may roll it over his way.

7milesout

Welcome to FABO from North Georgia!!

I just checked out all your pics. Super clean Scamp!! Great deal, but your buddy will be at peace knowing the car will be loved.

Update - Buddy came over, heater core installed. After buddy left, i refilled the coolant, checked the oil level (good), checked the trans (cold), good. Will recheck that warm. Added some air to the rear shocks. Vacuumed the carpet. Reinstalled the seat & seat belts. Got everything straight.

Will get up tomorrow morning and clear a path out and lower it off the dollies. Then I'll do the 1 minute crank and back out. After a minute I will shut it off and check for leaks. If all is well then the neighborhood ride check happens again. If that checks out, I will roll it 3 miles down the road for 90 octane no ethanol gas. And recheck fluids there.

If everything looks good there, I will take a little spin around town. Then maybe to 72Dart's house. We shall see. I will report in again tomorrow.

7milesout

Final UPDATE on this thread: Saturday morning I sat the car down off the auto-dollies and went through the routine. Everything checked out. So, my son and I took it to the gas station and filled it with 90 octane no-ethanol. It went just fine. Rode it to the Waffle House and at breakfast. Then my son and I went by 72Dart's house and he checked it out. He was gracious enough to give me an OEM type air filter housing. I'm going to put it on there and see how it fits and runs with it.

After that I drove it a few places around town. It drives nice around town. It still has a few issues I will sort out along the way. The speedometer once above 40 mph or so, goes nuts, makes a bunch of racket, and I can hear the cable spinning in there. I guess the gears inside are stripped and/or there is resistance to turn the speedometer so it strips through the gears at certain speeds. The tires are 30 year old tires and act like it. The car turns about 2,850 rpm at 55 mph in top (3rd) gear, running on 14 inch tires. So, it's strength will not be interstate cruising.

It needs a thorough cleaning. I had free time on Saturday so I took it to a local area where older cars gather for a somewhat informal car show. My Scamp looked GREAT ... until I parked it in with those other cars. My car is sporting the original paint, and it doesn't shine like the cars at the car show. And it has a few dents and dings that begin to really glare with other really nice cars around. I didn't hang out long as the wife and I had a few other things to do that evening.

But, she's up and running with no major encumbrances. The new heater core works just fine.

7milesout

You need to give yourself more credit! Runnin good after how long, all the important stuff works, come on now. If you knew how many of us get started on a project car and don't get the car on the road you would shudder. BTW there is a charm to survivor paint but if it bothers you rub it out and then decide. BTW good job on the heater core, they can be a b**ch to put back together.

I had help on the heater core. I paid the guy $200. It took ~2 hours to remove, and about 2.5 hours to put it back together. So he made nearly $50 an hour. It was a 2 person job, me to hold it up in place while he ran bolts. He was valuable as motivation if nothing else, as I tend to pussy-foot around with stuff due to being overly-concerned that I'm going to break stuff. He was less passionate and just hammered through it, and didn't break any thing. His presence forced me through it. But I can see why my bmx buddy fired him. Both days he was significantly late, and it aggravated me. Since he did better than decent work, I didn't make beef about it.

I'm gonna put tires on it, put the new harmonic balancer on it that's in the trunk. And then time it based on cam info. I'll get cam info from my buddy / P.O. And then, I'll consider what to do about making it look prom queen pretty.

7milesout

With anything there is good and bad. Learn from his determination and that's worth a lot more than $50/hr, especially with a lifetime of effort you have in front of you. Keep up the good work!

Cool beans. Got and going and out enjoying a Mopar...doesn't get any better!!!

A member here recently did his paint. He certainly has me wanting to polish mine now. Here's the tread: Polishing Paint

-
Back