New Painter Question

-

oddio

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to painting. I have watched some DVD's and I have primed two cars and I ready to start color on my first car, a 1973 Challenger Rallye in B-5 Blue. I am saving my 70 Duster till after I have more experience.:iconbigg:

I was thinking about using a TCP GLOBA"S RESTORATION SHOP two stage Urethane Basecoat/ Clearcoat. Anyone use it before?

I am somewhat unclear when i should wet sand/color sand. DO i do that before the clear or after?

Thanks in adance for any help.

e

You wet sand & buff after the clear. Make sure to fog the last coat of color to ensure uniform metallic coverage - other wise you can end up with some tiger striping.

Great! Thank you. Pardon my ignorance, but when you say FOG, what exactly do you mean by that.

Hey guys,

I was thinking about using a TCP GLOBA"S RESTORATION SHOP two stage Urethane Basecoat/ Clearcoat. Anyone use it before?

e

I am curious too as I am going to be ordering B3 blue from them. Are you using their primers too?

thanks

I did use there primers as well. I used the DTM epoxy primer/sealer. It seemed to be easy enough to work with and covered well.

If you are a SOCAL local you can usually catch them at the Long Beach Show near the airport, and save a little $$ off the website price!

If you're a good painter you shouldn't get tiger stripes period, the rest of us :-D have come up with some quirky technique to help avoid that. challengergary says fog it, I cross hatch it with a light coat at the end, sam principal I'm sure, a light coat from a further distance. Probably the most important thing is to not spray your base with heavy coats, if I do that I end up with a zebra :-D

the base goes on dry if your gun is set up right it won't stripe and then the clear goes on wet. Careful not to wet you will run it.

Thanks for all the great info.

I have the car disassembled right now. And I primed all the parts seperately. Is it OK to paint the car in pieces or is better to do it as an entire unit?

I was thinking of maybe spraying the parts individually with color then assembling the car, doing another pass of color and then the clear.

Does this sound like a good plan? or does anyone suggest differently.

Thats the way I would do it. Spray the parts wit h color bolt them up do another coat and clear it. This way tou have color every were even if you cant get the clear on it its better then no paint at all.

Excellent! Thanks everyone. I will post some results as soon as I can.

THANKS AGAIN! This board rocks!

Heres a picture of my car in the booth. I sprayed the back side of anything that I wanted painted (valance panels, behind the 1/4 extensions) then bolted it all up.

I also didnt jam it separately. I decided to spray the jams as I was doing the rest of the car. Its kinda a paint but it keeps you from having to deal with tape lines.

106.jpg

I would base everything, including jambs with body panels attached. That way your metallics flop all matches up panel to panel, then disassemble and clear separately, no tape lines.

-
Back