new patio advice

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
Hey all.

I am putting in a new patio, already chipped up the concrete and removed it. Was going to put all flagstone down but found something else I might look at.
Home Depot has those templates that you can pour cement in and make it look like little pavers. you do this over and over until you get what you want. Has anyone does this and does it look good or is it a waste of time?

pics

DSCN5750.jpg

DSCN5810.jpg

Stamped concrete is really popular right now, if you have never done it before I would suggest that do your homework and read up on the procedures and steps that you need to do or talk to someone thats knowledgeable on the subject that has actually done it before.

Just a few things you have to take into consideration.
1.) Rubber Stamped design that you want to go with, Rent or Buy Patterns
2.) Color: Dry Shake on Color or Integral Color Mixed into the Concrete
3.) Dry Shake on Stamp Release Agent, Color, Manufacturer etc. etc.
4.) Sealer, Product Name and Manufacturer

Alot of different things to take into consideration, there are many paths you can follow, its always a good idea to do a test sample maybe 4' x 4' first to see if the finished product is what you are after, if not you will need to make adjustments and try again.

I thought about eveything you listed but the sealer... I figured it would take a lot longer then the Flagstone, but it might be cheaper.

I read an article on it and they made it sound really easy, but I can't find the article. Maybe a trip to Home Depot and look at what they have before I commit to anything.

Looks like your best friend wanted in on the action, lol!

First thing I would think of is making it bigger. Now's the time before any thing else is done.

Have you thought of a wood deck? The new recycled stuff lasts forever and the color is molded in, no staining ever. It won't retain heat like concrete does in the Colorado sun.

Yea, Make it bigger and do a new garage on the other side. Never done any stamping but it can be done by a novice with some get up and go. That isn't very big so give it a whirl. Looks like someone has already been busy by looking at that pile of busted concrete.

Just make sure that you put down a real good base before laying concrete. It will make or break a long lasting patio.

I am making it bigger. ALmost double actually... In fact I am going outside now to start digging the area out. My dog wants to help be lacks thumbs which truely is the key to holding the shovel...

I am leaning towards the flagstone, but I still need to consider it some more. ALthough I need to make up my mind by Friday.

Go with the flagstone it's a lot easier than the template.
I used the template I wish I hadn't. Wish I would have use pavers or flagstone.
It may cost more but a lot less labor and backache.
I you use the template use a sealer on it if you don't it weathers bad.

Good luck on what ever you use.

By the way if you decide the concrete and template. Make sure your dog is
isn't loose. Ours got away from my wife and decided to run right through
the wet stuff. Lucky he was small he didn't make a real big mess. he he

I like flag stone,Pavers or what ever this stuff is calle if it is installed correcly.
And you can ad to it or even move it.
2" thick about 50" wide and 120" long 75 dollars

This girl watched us get it dun.

LIFE 940.jpg

spring 08 058.jpg

LIFE 257.jpg

Dart Guy,

Are you talking about concrete stamping or something else. I know that your opening post said "pour cement in". Concrete stamping is where you place rubber mats down over semi fresh concrete that has been powered with color of choice. Then they take a metal stamp and it makes a imprint on the concrete. It is very exspensive. I know that they go by the square foot rather than by the yard. A 36' by 4' costs around $1600

Thanks for al the input... I thought about a wood deck, but decided against it since it would be more work.
I was thinking there is a template the you can pour cement into and go onto the next one. But it doesn't matter, I pretty much decided on the flagstone.

Tonight we got it dug out to the size we want... It is huge compared to before. I was going to get a pick but the sun went down.

I am hoping by Saturday morning we have the current soil already compressed and the new sand down. The dirt is very hard and sandy already so it will not be a hard task.

Then Saturday morning, my future father in law and a buddy or two willl be here with their trucks to pick up the flagstone... Luckily it is only 5 miles down the road.

And with any luck I will post completed pics by the end of the weekend! I am very ambitious. OR foolsih, not sure... Sad part is the Dart will be waitin on me. But the dog will have fun playing with us while work...

We found the cabel as you can see in the one pic... Buried a whopping 3 inches deep...

DSCN5926.jpg

DSCN5927.jpg

What's wrong with a little work? LOL!

A wood deck always adds rather than take away...don't ask me why but it does.

I was just wondering. I've been in construction for over 20 yrs and was trying to figure out what you was going to pour cemet into.

I did the template style for a walk on the side of my shed it looks good but one problem i found is u lay the template down fill with crete brush it for desired finish then pull up the template and ur left with little stepping stones that are'nt connected at all try putting patio furniture on little stones it doesnt work!! i have pics if you want good luck!!!

I did the template style for a walk on the side of my shed it looks good but one problem i found is u lay the template down fill with crete brush it for desired finish then pull up the template and ur left with little stepping stones that are'nt connected at all try putting patio furniture on little stones it doesnt work!! i have pics if you want good luck!!!

That is what I was thinking might happen... The articel I read made it sound like it was affordable and that usually implies that it is not the best way.

I am not afraid of a little work, but I am not staying in this house after 4-6 years and don't want to put too much into, but hope to raise my value in sweat equity... Of course the market right now isn't helping, but it still went up almost 10 grand in 2 years! I got a good price on the house.

I grew up helping my Dad rebuild our house and others that he owns or flipped. He was alos and electrician. So I know my way around the job site, but I think I know just enough to be dangerous...

Next house I will put a deck on it. Unless the house comes with one.

I tried to find the them on line but couldn't. They are plastic or rubber forms that 78Kitcar was talking about... you put it down and add the cement. (oops, wrong quote... Was supposed to quote mullinax95's question on what I was refering to...)

Are you and MeMike sharing custody of that dog??:-D

They do look a lot a like!

I think the flagstone idea will work for your intended purpose. Nice job the cable guys did, jeez 3" deep.

I'm with Ax on the wood deck adding value vs. stone though. it gives a house a warmer, more recreational look. You're right though, it is more work but that's why it's called "sweat equity", lol!

Here's a tip for digging the hard soil here: Water it down good a day ahead of time. You may not even need a pick. :) It looks as though you may have already though, I don't mean to tell you something you already know.

Have fun and keeping posting progress pics!

I think the flagstone idea will work for your intended purpose. Nice job the cable guys did, jeez 3" deep.

I'm with Ax on the wood deck adding value vs. stone though. it gives a house a warmer, more recreational look. You're right though, it is more work but that's why it's called "sweat equity", lol!

Here's a tip for digging the hard soil here: Water it down good a day ahead of time. You may not even need a pick. :) It looks as though you may have already though, I don't mean to tell you something you already know.

Have fun and keeping posting progress pics!

I am used to the clay and shale of Pennsylvania... I could have used that tip yesterday... We got it all dug but my back is sore today. LOL

I agree, the deck is nicer to have and I really wanted a deck and toyed with the idea for over a year... Not even sure why i decided to go with the patio instead of a deck anymore. I think I thought it would be cheaper to go with teh flagstone, but I don't knwo about that now that need so much of it. I guess it is a little too late to change my mind now.

I will post some pics when I get some progress made.

-
Back