New Product Announcement!!! 65 Cuda/Valiant Taillight Housings!!!

-
"...1965 B-cudas The Most Produced Barracuda Out Of The 10 Year Name Plate,,,"

11 years. :toothy7: Other than that, I pretty much agree with the rest.

Guys, I know a lot of you have been burned by Lasons in the past but please dont judge Rick for Daves wrong doings. Rick has gone out of his way to help a number of our members. Do a search of his posts. You will see if you deal with him your in good hands.

Adam, I don't think anyone is judging Rick personally but he has to realize that he attached his name to one that has done some bad things to good people in this hobby (myself being one of them). He will continue to have an uphill battle in this area.

Rick, it's great that these are available. I read your post that people are always clamoring for items like this and when they are produced, people complain about the price. This is true but again, as I mentioned in a previous post, there are only so many people with '64/'65s that are able to afford them. You all ready have some instant feedback re: the pricing point. I am sure that the marketing people at Laysons have all ready taken this into account and adjusted the unit price because of the units they expect to sell. I mean ... so many units over a certain amount of time need to be sold to break even and then profit, correct?

As for the heads up on the "release" news of these items, let's be honest (from one PR/Mrktg person to another). There is no freebie information out there solely for the good of the masses. Everything is done for one reason only and that is to promote, make sales and profit.

Again, it's great that the product is out there (it gives people an option). BTW: Does Laysons ever lower the price of an item once a breakeven point or breakeven point plus a xx% has been achieved?

Continued luck with your endeavors.

BTW: Does Laysons ever lower the price of an item once a breakeven point or breakeven point plus a xx% has been achieved?

Yes, and to give you an example, when the stainless wheel well mouldings for the 67 GTX came out about a year ago, the price for a set was $440.00. Now at the present time, the very same set of wheel trim lists in our catalog for $295.00.

Another example, 67-68-69 Cuda tail light bezels were priced at $695.00 when they first came out, now we have them listed in our system at $595.00.....and I've been selling them for less than that on the internet message boards as well as Ebay.

Yes, and to give you an example, when the stainless wheel well mouldings for the 67 GTX came out about a year ago, the price for a set was $440.00. Now at the present time, the very same set of wheel trim lists in our catalog for $295.00.

Another example, 67-68-69 Cuda tail light bezels were priced at $695.00 when they first came out, now we have them listed in our system at $595.00.....and I've been selling them for less than that on the internet message boards as well as Ebay.

This is good to know, but once again the wheel well mouldings for my 66 Valiant went up over 20% compared to last years catelog. When I bought them at the Spring Fling I asked Dave why it went up so much and he gives me a total line of bullshit about it being China's fault. That really pissed me off. I like the fact Layson's offers the product but he will never earn my respect. EVER. Besides that I wonder how much respect he actually has for his customers.

Best of luck Rick and thank you for your honesty in my dealings with you.

DONE:hippy2:

I have gotten parts from Laysons in the past (when they were on Auburn way), they aren't that far from my house so it is a matter of the local parts store cant get a glove box or whatever for a dart but Laysons has them. I have met Dave before and he was very nice and seemed like good people, my dad has known him since he was building his car in his garage and made his own stuff because no one had the parts he needed. It's great that he started a company to help out other car guys but... I no longer order parts from Laysons due to all the bad deals that have happened to other car guys and the person working the counter was very rude and uninformed the last time I went in there.
I am just curious if Dave knows the reputation of his company and if so is he atleast trying to change it? If Dave came to FABO and did a search for Laysons and read everything that came up what would he say?

I'm gonna give Rick a shot soon here when I save up a little more for 67 tail light bezels and lenses.
He sounds like he's trying hard to turn things around and working diligently to help people.

Well Not That Rick @laysons Will Read This Posting,,
There Are Still A Lot Of Good Used And N.o.s 64/65 Tail Lite Housing Available,,1965 B-cudas The Most Produced Barracuda Out Of The 10 Year Name Plate,,,
1966 Valiant/b-cuda A One Year Only With Still Several Around Being Restored And Hot Rodded,,ive Been Waiting For Over 6 Years,,being Promised By Dave Layson His Self That They Are Comming,,and As Usuall With Every Thing From Laysons ,,they Always Blame It On The Chrome Plater,,so I Guess 66 Tail Lite Housing Have Been At The Platers For 6 Years,,

But Every One Remember,,and I Am Not Supporting Laysons,,,but The Demand For Early A-body Parts Is No Where Near What An E Or B Body Part Of A Chevy Part Would Be, So The Cost Would Be Higher,they Need To Cover Costs Of The Mold And Research,,,

But When You Have A Mopar You Get Price Gouged,,,up The Butt,,
Even If The Reproducer Is A So Called Mopar Guy,,,,,

So Where Are The 66 Housings ??????? And The 66 Rear Window Moldings??????????

I agree on the 66 notes made. I wish and am waiting for these too! I did however find a mont NOS on e on the bag for 275 so I scooped it up! Now I just need a left side and the back of the car is done! Anyonw have one??

I have gotten parts from Laysons in the past (when they were on Auburn way), they aren't that far from my house so it is a matter of the local parts store cant get a glove box or whatever for a dart but Laysons has them. I have met Dave before and he was very nice and seemed like good people, my dad has known him since he was building his car in his garage and made his own stuff because no one had the parts he needed. It's great that he started a company to help out other car guys but... I no longer order parts from Laysons due to all the bad deals that have happened to other car guys and the person working the counter was very rude and uninformed the last time I went in there.
I am just curious if Dave knows the reputation of his company and if so is he atleast trying to change it? If Dave came to FABO and did a search for Laysons and read everything that came up what would he say?

I have bought a few items from Layson's but it's only been when I've driven down from Vancouver, BC and never mail order since Layson's rep is brutal on things being shipped. I made two trips to Layson's when I was restoring my car and each time I called ahead to check that the parts were physically on the shelf in the warehouse. I have never had the pleasure of meeting Dave on either visit but on the second visit I was floored by how poorly he treats his hourly employees. The second trip was on a Saturday so a non salary person was serving me at the front desk. The phone rang so the employee answered it and all I heard was their side of the conversation:

Employee (picks up the phone): Hi
Person on other end of phone: xxxxxxxxx
Employee: I'm helping a customer at the front desk with his purchases
Employee: Ok, let me finish with the customer and I'll be right back
Person on other end of phone: xxxxxxxxxxx
Employee: I'll probably be another 5 minutes as I've almost completed processing his order
Employee: Yes, I understand, I will be there as soon as I'm done with the customer. (gets off phone)

So I ask the employee who that was on the other end of the call and if it was Dave Layson's. The employee said "yes".

I was stunned at how poorly Dave treats his hourly employee's. On my first trip to Layson's I asked the fellow helping me out about attrition rate at Layson's (this was over a year ago so maybe things have changed). The guy said that aside from Dave, there are two salary people (one of which was the fellow I was dealing with) and that everyone else is hourly and that the hourly folks don't stick around for long before moving onto greener pastures.

I'm just a two time customer so I haven't spent mega bucks at Layson's but when I have choice between spending 7 hours round trip in the car going to Layson's (if the part is in stock) or buying mail order from year one, paddock, etc, then I'll choose mail order every time.

What he said. Make the 66 taillight housings and rear window mouldings and I'll buy em.

Just out of curiousity, what are you willing top pay for each item? I am just wondering if there is a pricing point where you would still be willing to buy them vs saying that's a little too much.

Are you folks the only ones reproducing these two items? Are there any competitors selling these? If not, are any of your retailers selling them for around this price? I am just trying to figure out exactly why the price dropped. Was it good will or due to competition?

Are you folks the only ones reproducing these two items? Are there any competitors selling these? If not, are any of your retailers selling them for around this price? I am just trying to figure out exactly why the price dropped. Was it good will or due to competition?

We are the only ones repo'ing the 67 GTX wheel trim, and yes, they are available from other vendors as well as us.

Yes, the 67-69 Cuda bezels are available from other manufacturers, but theirs are made of old fashioned pot metal as opposed to our modern alloy. That's why we are priced above them, it's because we offer a superior product compared to ordinary pot metal.

Whether it was good will or competition for the price reductions is something only Dave L would know, I just have to go by what he sets the prices at.

Rick,
I just wanted you to know the 68 Dart bezels I purchased from you are AWESOME and the shipping was extremely quick. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Again,
Jeff

I just wanted to add my $.02 (Cdn at that!) worth of support for Rick. I haven't been their most prolific customer,what with only buying 4 wire retainers and a catalog, but, even on the small,insignificant orders like mine, Rick has been nothing but helpful and cooperative. I praise him for trying to polish-up a company's reputation that sure does need A LOT of polish!!!

Thanks Rick.

Darwin (hoping to buy more in the future)

I agree Rick is a great guy, yes the parts are kinda high, I dont know what else to say.. very expensive hobby these days!

Took me two years to get my hole back end on a 64 vert about 860.00
for the best that i could find . left side 2006 mopar nats / right side 2007 mopar nats :shaking2: But you pay for what you get , from junk too the gold !!:toothy7: you have to pay too play !!!

RICK@LAYSONS,,, i do agree with you,,we all cry that no one will repop early A parts,,,and our cars are not worth the big B&E body priices,most early A guys dont have that big budget,,,its just we have been over looked,,,all the mopar world has been over looked as far as replacement parts,,,some times do to mother mopar,,,that has all changedsince barrett jackson,,,and the new challenger comming from mopar,,more intrest in mopar then ever before,,

and i do understand the cost of the tooling,,,its just hard to pay a prove like that,when its a 1/3 of what some one payed for a complete body/project, for some guys,,then theres layson track record,,,,
im the first that would love to see laysons clean up his act,,,and get stuff to us in a timely time frame,, and ide pay that price for a set of repops for a 66. IF THEY FIT ,,,,not like the 66 wheel well moldings,,,

and if u search e bay or go to the nats,,or carlisle you will see good used or nos 65 housings,,,i didnt say cheap,,but they are around,,,

OH,, SORRY YOUR THE ONE WE ARE FIRING BULLETS AT,,,, but dave has made a bad name for his self,,,hope he can clean up his bad rep,,,and do what he started to do when he got in busniess,,,,repop early A parts,,,
like all the rest he has seen the big B-BODY light in the sky,,,

Maybe if Laysons would be up front with stuff right away. I ordered a part and for over a year it never came, evertime i ask "are you guys actually making these parts" id get a lie saying yes they make the parts, but they were waiting on the suppliers. Then one day someone tells me the truth, it was Rick, he said that the part was not actually being made. I still got my name on "the list", but I just wanted the truth.
Still, i think laysons should be honest upfront like Rick was. When i ordered my 64 dart tail lights, they should have said, look this could take 2 years to get these. Then i could have said ok, and put my name on the list. I wouldnt have made the 7 calls i did asking where they were. I still dont understand why this should take over a year and a half, but sense my car isnt ready for the road i really dont need them just yet, so ill wait. That said i wonder what would happen if Chip Foose called Dave Layson asking for a set of 64 dodge dart tail lights, if Dave would pull out his hidden stash so as not to dissapoint Chip? Did anyone see 64 dart tail lights at Laysons booth at any car shows over the summer? I have this horrible feeling Dave has a few sets he takes along on the road to sell to customers, so as to look like he has any part at any time. I was hoping id see him out my way. If i saw the tail lights i was gonna buy them and then tell Dave how dishonest he was for telling me he didnt have any.
If Dave is having problems with his suppliers he needs to put pressure on them. It doesnt take over a year to pour some red liquid plastic into a mold to make a lense and then another year to pour liquid metal into a mold to make lense trim rings and then another year to have them chromed.
The supplier is screwed if dave says "im moving on", because then the supplier has less work and wont be making any money. Unless the supplier is the same supplier who supplies Year One (with the lenses at least), then he still has work, unless hes slow to supply Year One aswell, then they should dump him also.
There is a demand, Dave just needs to find better suppliers.

-
Back