New Project but No Experience

-

Mopar Virgin

Reaction score
Just purchased a convertible '68 Barracuda with a Slant6 as a project car sight-unseen.

Up-front, I am not a mopar specific enthusiast and this will be my first full resto-rod project that a friend (not a mopar guy either) who's done a lot of car project will be taking on with me. Thankfully we have a common close friend who is a mopar fanatic and will help us a great deal, but I'd like to get input from as many people as possible.

I anticipate the Slant6 engine is under-powered and would appreciate people's thoughts on engine alternatives that don't make the car difficult to control or dangerous (e.g. no 440 block for me). Likely will put an automatic transmission with it so my wife will drive it on long trips.

Intending to lower the stance, hot-rod it a bit, use non-traditional mopar paint color, and will put some meat on the rear end (e.g. not taking a "restoration" approach). Might be open to a fuel injected engine and modern transmission too. Appreciate any input people have on the drive train related to balancing power with the reality that burn-outs, fish-tails and street racing are a thing of the past ... but we still sneak it in once-in-a-while !!!

Welcome to the site!
I would suggest using the search feature it is very helpful.
As for engine swap there are many variables from a 273 to a gen III hemi swap

A 340 would be good, but they cost $$$...

A 318 or 360 small block would be a good choice as they are available and cheap....

You will have to change the k-frame for a small block or get custom motor mounts to convert to a v-8...

Welcome!!!

My number one suggestion...

Get it road worthy and enjoy it a bit before you take it all apart.

Being a convertible it is more prone to rust, so look into that first.

Go to myMopar.com and download everything associated with your car. Factory service manuals, parts book wiring diagram.

Watch the corny tech library of videos. They will inform you of things you may never have thought of.

While you are enjoying your new car for a while ask questions, start a post about what is needed for a V8 swap. A separate post for front suspension swap, etc.

Keep in mind the more stock the care is the easier it will be to work on it down the road meaning... If you do a stock disk brake swap all the parts will be available, if you do an aftermarket swap maybe not.

To add reliable power a 5.9 Magnum will do the trick. They are plentiful and reasonably priced. You can keep fuel injection but you'll need a high pressure fuel pump. I used a carburetor on my swap and kept the v-belts to keep it looking old school.

I haven't done a V6-V8 swap so I'm not sure what all is involved. Like mentioned above, the search function works great for finding info. But feel free to post if you need more info or clarification. For a V8 swap, I would definitely swap out the v6 torsion bars for larger ones such as 1.03".

And...welcome to FABO!! Glad to have you on board.

Don't discount any engine choice. We've built two 440 powered convertibles, but only one has been finished enough to drive. Determine what you want out of the car, performance wise, and go from there.

Welcome aboard. Coming from a slant 6 guy that's had all sorts of V8s through the years (I've had over 400 vehicles since I was 13) and I can attest to the FACT that since I've gone slant 6, I've had THE MOST FUN I have ever had with cars.

That said, figure out a plan, throw it at is and we'll help with whatever it is.

Budget?
Timeline?
Expectations?
Skill level?
All of these are relevant for you to keep in mind before you start tearing your new purchase apart.
Be realistic about your budget and your skill set especially, it's great to have friends with the knowledge and experience that are willing to help you, but not many people are going to be willing to give up a majority of their own free time to work on someone else's project.
Are you planning a fun family cruiser, something you can take out on weekends only, go for a drive, maybe take in a show and shine, stop for an ice cream, etc.
Or will you want to make an occasional visit to the drag strip, or autocross race?
First, as already mentioned, get it roadworthy, unless it's just in need of too much work, like floorpans and major structural repairs, if that's the case, I would be seriously evaluating your budget and skills. I don't mean to be insulting, not in the least, but too often a person can get in over their head and lose both interest and lots of $$ when the project starts to spiral.
Just my .02.
Welcome to FABO.

Post pictures when you are able to!
xscuseless.gif

Budget?
Timeline?
Expectations?
Skill level?
All of these are relevant for you to keep in mind before you start tearing your new purchase apart.
Be realistic about your budget and your skill set especially, it's great to have friends with the knowledge and experience that are willing to help you, but not many people are going to be willing to give up a majority of their own free time to work on someone else's project.
Are you planning a fun family cruiser, something you can take out on weekends only, go for a drive, maybe take in a show and shine, stop for an ice cream, etc.
Or will you want to make an occasional visit to the drag strip, or autocross race?
First, as already mentioned, get it roadworthy, unless it's just in need of too much work, like floorpans and major structural repairs, if that's the case, I would be seriously evaluating your budget and skills. I don't mean to be insulting, not in the least, but too often a person can get in over their head and lose both interest and lots of $$ when the project starts to spiral.
Just my .02.
Welcome to FABO.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. First thing to do is a detailed evaluation of the car's current condition. Next would be to decide what you want when it's finished. Then you can decide what you're going to need to do to get it from A to Z. When you start to dismantle the car, take TONS of photos at every stage.

My number one suggestion...

Get it road worthy and enjoy it a bit before you take it all apart.

Listen to Dana67Dart on this one! Seriously, get it driving and enjoy it for a bit with the /6 and factory setup. You’ll be glad you did when your car is in pieces during the long restoration (which ALWAYS takes longer than expected). It’ll also give you a baseline to compare future engine upgrades and suspension improvements too.

Take it from another Mopar rookie, you’re off to a good start by coming here. FABO is a wonderful community of gear heads who don’t hesitate to help out the newer guys. Just make sure you post some photos once you get the car. Everyone here loves photos!

. Just make sure you post some photos once you get the car. Everyone here loves photos
Also in the future, ALWAYS start any post with
  1. Car
  2. Year
  3. Engine
  4. Trans
  5. Rear
  6. Brakes
  7. Modifications

You can omit things that are not likley to apply. But #1, #2 should be in any post.

And photos are so important, you might say deck lid and we might think the panel between trunk lid and rear glass but you mean trunk lid.

-
Back