New project ( stock suspension 275 drag radial 72 duster)

-
we demand more picture updates..

OK guys, it doesnt seem like I have made much progress lately, but I have collected some new pieces. First off, I decided to keep the chin spoiler and made a structural support out of aluminum for it and had it and the aluminum bumper brackets powder coated and got them installed. I also purchased a former Craftsman truck series 358" R3W8 engine. It is a low deck R3 block that has been converted to a wet sump, Windberg billet crank, cnc'd W8 heads and 598 intake, solid roller with new Jesel lifters, Jesel titanium valve train, and will be the foundation for my turbo motor. I plan on using the complete engine for mock up fabrication purposes and after everything is fabbed then take the engine apart for new rods and turbo pistons, a turbo grind camshaft, and some inconel exhaust valves.

Next we got the engine sitting down in the car and had nowhere near enough hood clearance for a blowthrough setup. Not wanting to sacrifice the original paint factory hood, we decided to go fuel injected. The engine still had to be lowered 1" but it will work with the 6061.com shorty elbow installed and has about 3/8" of clearance to the bottom of the hood. The motor and mid plates are for mock up and locating purposes only. They are thinner than they will end up being, I just figured I am going to have to do some modifications to them and they would be easier to cut that way. In the end I will take the mock up pieces and and laser cut new ones out of thicker material.

I havent quite decided on what turbo we are going to use yet but at this point are leaning towards the Borg Warner S480 with the race cover and the billet wheel. It has proven itself to be capable of supporting 1300 rear wheel HP. We also have most everything needed to start building the headers, which will consist of 2" primarys and 3" crossovers. We also bought the IC Engine Works header mock up kit. It is a bit pricey but has been worth it so far. The first two tubes of the header have already mocked up in several configurations to come up with what I wanted and can be changed in a matter of minutes with no cutting of stainless elbows and no tacking. Thats all Ive got so far but in the next few weeks the headers will be tacked together and hopefully my mind will be made up on a turbo.

Awesome work, Jody. Top notch as always. I think a lot of people are looking forward to seeing this car completed.

Are you going to run X275-type stuff? What is the intended performance level?

BTW, got the bumper brackets in. Fairly easy job, everything fit great.

- Greg

Awesome work, Jody. Top notch as always. I think a lot of people are looking forward to seeing this car completed.

Are you going to run X275-type stuff? What is the intended performance level?

BTW, got the bumper brackets in. Fairly easy job, everything fit great.

- Greg

Glad to hear, Greg. Im not going to make enough power or be light enough to be competitive in X275. Just looking to have a very drivable mid eight second street car. Maybe donate some entry fees at some of the heads up Mopar events and do a little grudge racing. Although these build threads will probably be the demise of my grudge career if I keep showing what Im building.:eek:ops:

Glad to hear, Greg. Im not going to make enough power or be light enough to be competitive in X275. Just looking to have a very drivable mid eight second street car. Maybe donate some entry fees at some of the heads up Mopar events and do a little grudge racing. Although these build threads will probably be the demise of my grudge career if I keep showing what Im building.:eek:ops:

I think your car might be good candidate for Drag Week... just sayin'.

The Outlaw/X275 cars are awesome to watch. Door slammer racing has come pretty far these last few years, those cars are really fast for what they are.

Kinda funny how close our setups are.. both r blocks.. both billet s480s both Weinberg cranks.. lol I just have w5s.. wish I had 8s.. keep up the good work

WoW,this is my first time seeing your build.Very nice work on the cage and rear fitment.The car looks to be a very clean starting point and I,ll be looking for your updates.Good luck.:D

P.S Resizing your pics to 480x640 pixels would help with keeping this thread down to size.:thumleft:

Does anyone know where the chin spoiler is from?

69 camaro. Can find em on eBay for around $30. I'm waiting for the aluminum bumper brackets then ordering spoiler.

Jody is still making progress, Brett Miller will be going through the motor. Why turbo? Great power, cheaper and I've read that some of these short stroke 358's (3.25 stroke) don't like turning the procharger needed to make this level of power.

69 camaro. Can find em on eBay for around $30. I'm waiting for the aluminum bumper brackets then ordering spoiler.

Jody is still making progress, Brett Miller will be going through the motor. Why turbo? Great power, cheaper and I've read that some of these short stroke 358's (3.25 stroke) don't like turning the procharger needed to make this level of power.

Thanks bro

-
Back