New project ( stock suspension 275 drag radial 72 duster)

-

jbmopars

Reaction score
I bought this car for my 10 year old son, so he and I could do a project together. 1972 Gold Duster, 6/auto, California car, 22,000 original miles, all original paint, purchased as a roller. Our plans consist of a chromoly cage certified to 8.50, Dana and Calvert suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, stock black interior, single turbo small block (r block) blowthrough on E-85. I cannot afford to build a competitive 275 car, but hoping to be able to race and have a BADA$$ on the street. This is our progress so far.

370.jpg

374.jpg

I LOVE IT!!!!!What chassis work is done? I love real world buildups.better yet,with family,enjoy.

how about some side pics i love the car and would like to see those weld wheels with the black center ...:prayer:

Sorry, I would like some side pics also but the car has no housing in it, so I cant move it very easy. Just getting to the mock up of ride height, I have the Calvert suspension, but just took pics today and it is not installed yet. Plan on the spring relocation and spring install before measuring for the Dana to be built.

ok thanks ..i really like the look of the car and the direction your going with it..not over kill i guess would be the word..but then again your not done yet lol :D

Awesome looking ride you have there!

I have the Calvert suspension, but just took pics today and it is not installed yet. Plan on the spring relocation and spring install before measuring for the Dana to be built.

I have Calvert monoleafs and caltracs with a 3" spring relocate on mine and I love it, you'll love yours.

Nice ride man. Building a 72 Duster with my 10 yo twin daughters too. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Is there a 275 drag radial class up there? Those are the tires I am currently running on my fish. They have drag radial day at the track this Sunday which brings out some very fast "street" cars.

Your son will be the envy of the other kids at HS. Hope he is mature enough to handle it at 16. That's a great looking car ansd will be saweet with the mods.

Thanks everyone, reading your responses is very encouraging. I have no motor or trans yet although I am definately set on a single turbo blowthrough smallblock. We plan on getting the car itself ready this winter, cage, interior, rearend and rear suspension. This will allow us time to research some different combinations. Trying to keep the car very sedate looking with alot of subtle tricks. This is a project with my son so he can learn as much as he can, and yes the car is his but I will have the keys. We will keep the photos coming as we make progress. Thanks Jody

Are you dead set on a cage and not just a roll bar?
Much easier to drive and work on the car.
If you are not planning to break into the 9's a roll bar is easier to work around.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have put alot of thought into that and have decided on an 8.50 cert chromoly cage. I am a fabricator for a living and have put chromoly bars and cages in about 20 cars as a hobby. All but one of these cars I put a bar in has been back for the cage upgrade. I am going to save myself the trouble and do it right from the start. Also the combination I am thinking of for the motor should net between 1000 and 1200 hp, which makes the cage mandatory. Thank you for the advice.

Thats a nice ride you and your son are going to have some great times together...

Have you talked to calvert about getting that car to hook with the power levels your talking about, would a four link would allow for more adjustment for different track conditions with that tire. I wonder what the weight bias is on those cars, is it close to 50 / 50

The wheels are Weld Racing Magnum 2.0, I've been wanting to put some black wheels on something since they came out, but they just weren't the right look for my Belvedere. When I bought this car and added the vinyl top and stripes, I thought they would look good. You can't beat them for rotating weight either, they are very light. Thanks Jody

I have talked to Calvert and already purchased my parts, we discussed the 25 inch front segment, but with me not wanting to cut the car that much I went with the standard lenght. I wanted to go with the relocation kit rather than the inboard kit. I am making my own boxed hangers up front, boxing the perches on the housing, and probably going to use sliders in the rear to strenghten every thing as much as possible. As far as hooking the car, I will lean on it as hard as I can with the help from a boost controller. We'll have to see. Thanks Jody

Looks perfect clean , I hope you post the progress pics:happy1:

-
Back