new project western flyer bike

-

63VALIANT*KISS

Reaction score
well lets start by getting some history on the bike it has sat up in my great grandmas garage attic and i got it down and thought it was the coolest thing ever! since her passing ive wanted the bike and finaly i went and got it cuz i thought it would be so cool to restore and rat it out.

i started in the tear down after many pics something this old is worth the time and effort to do right. speaking of age i dont exactly know of the age my grandma say for sure its 30+ cuz her son played on it in his teens and hes almost 50 so....hoping maybe someone knows alot about these things ive figured out its a girls bike 24inch tires low option western flyer bycicle produced by western auto supply company so it is auto related! i have evreything tore down berrings ungreesed and ready to take new greese.

made sure all chrome has been sanded and buffed with a sos pad bare metal was sanded and cleared that will staybare.and getting things primerd and ready for a flat black satin gloss finish thinking of having some pinstriping done on it also things may change but im having fun with this lil project. what do u guys think about it?
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Never seen a bike that looked like a little red x.

try this

Attachments

• S7301298 (640x480).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 552
  • S7301309 (640x480).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 562
  • S7301308 (640x480).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 557
  • S7301307 (640x480).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 539
Nice find. It will last forever. I had red one growing up, a boy's bike. After a few years, it was 'stolen.' I got a 'new' bike, British racing green with a banana seat, chrome fenders, high-rise handlebars and a sissybar. Then an older neighbor kid blabbed that it was really my old bike and my Dad had redone it at their house. I never admitted knowing that. A bike=a kid's freedom. Have fun being a kid again.

yep i know its a chick bike when im done its gonna be a death metal rat rod maybe a engine conversion with the room on the girls dress bar setup

just got all the stuff primed except the frame and cleared all the bare metal items lookin good i think plans also contain the hollow ends of the handle bars having a spacer that fits inside and skull shifter knobs screwed in to them with some old school glitter red handle grips just a taste.

project is moving nicely i will have update pics up tomarrow ,i should have all the painting done tomarrow and start the reassemble satin black with satin gloss finish rims cleaned up nicely with a sos pad.

will be starting a new project soon wait for the upcoming resto thread of my newly aquired 60's j.c. higgins sears bike with tank and headlight.

Nice project. It will be nice to follow a project like this, not always cars. Good luck.

not done but went on its maiden 3mile ride this morning god it feels good to be more active, and expecialy on a vintage cruiser imagine it with pin stripes after i find a guy

Attachments

• S7301315 (640x480).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 458
  • S7301316 (640x480).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 473
so far not including pin stripes ive put a new painted white chain new greese in the berrings new front tube,new grips,new hardware.

still need the pin stripes,pedals,re do the seat,and mess with the lame coaster brakes it takes like 2 spins back for them to engage.

so far invested 42$ and some change

Very cool. I've got a first year (1955) Corvette 3 speed, myself. Flea-market fresh:
P1000741.jpg

After a quick cleaning, and adding some fenders:
IMG_1885-1.jpg

Yeah, I put that first shot there just to show of the '36 Plymouth. Not mine, it's the parts car for a build my friend is doing.

By the way, a friend of mine did one of those two stroke Chinese motors on a mountain bike he had lying around. Pretty fun, and a bit scary. I actually began looking at vintage bikes with this in mind (he beat me to it). I wouldn't put one on a bike with old tires and rim brakes, though. I'd need to lace up a front drum hub, single speed coaster rear, and some decent rubber. I'll probably do it someday to a pre-war balloon bike I build from parts.

Here is the one I built , pulls me 30 MPH . Fun toy, I just love the smell of Blendzall in the morning !!!
dynobike001.jpg

dynobike002.jpg

Here's one I found sitting by a dumpster.

I know I'm getting old because I was all "Hey! That's not trash!"

Little elbow grease, soem new tires and repacked bearings and its good pit transport.

SAM_2301.jpg

Sadly had to chuck the turn signals as I couldn't get them to function.

Can't seen to find any "after" Pics.

sweet bikes guys im glad to see alot of people tht do this i was riding mine earlyer tonight and rode by a thirft store with some old bikes in the window ima check out if there the right price.

i would s*** my pants if i saw a vintage sting ray by a dumpster.
sadly and a good thing alot of people keep old stuff aroud here theres lots of old cars and old bikes traveling around i live in classic americana

somehow I missed this thread before now.
I'm probably more into bicycles than cars. first things first, your bike is a 1960's Huffy. the serial should tell you. the first number will be the year, the H means Huffy. so for example if it's a 5 or 6, that would indicate '65 or '66 respectively.
I collect mostly prewar bikes, and specifically Huffman bikes. here are a few photos of some of my rides. I recently sold both the Indian bike and the aluminum Silverking. I have a bunch of others but I had the links to these few handy.
P1030577.JPG

P1030579.JPG

P1030539_1.JPG

P1030508.JPG

P1030450.JPG

P1030451.JPG

P1030210_modified.JPG

P1030211_modified.JPG

Very cool thread. Mine is a little smaller. Found this under a house in 1985 and restored it. The resto is showing it's age now. It has been on display in my house a long time. 1950's or so. Evans tricycle co. in Michigan. seat moved a little when i picked it up to photo it.

Attachments

• Tricycle 203.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 340
  • Tricycle 204.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 347
  • Tricycle 206.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 354
Nice project. It will be nice to follow a project like this, not always cars. Good luck.

But this a Car site (notice the word "ONLY" in For A bodies only) I'm sure there are bike restoration sites. It is for a specific interest, why would go to a specific site like this if you didn't want to see mopar A bodies..not For, not Chevy, not even Mopar B or E bodies..theres sites for all those, even bikes.

-
Back