New Quarter panel buckling at body line

-

hemiorange

Reaction score
I am welding in my new quarter panel and it's buckling at the middle body line (the line below the gas cap) to the left of the wheel house on the driver side if there is any pressure in the area. I have to pop it back in place or it will stay pushed in. These are the cheaper quarters made of thin metal. Can I weld in a support bracket in the back as long as it doesn't interfere with the operation of the quarter window? Would hate to have to cut the whole thing off and have to get the amd ones.

I am welding in my new quarter panel and it's buckling at the middle body line (the line below the gas cap) to the left of the wheel house on the driver side if there is any pressure in the area. I have to pop it back in place or it will stay pushed in. These are the cheaper quarters made of thin metal. Can I weld in a support bracket in the back as long as it doesn't interfere with the operation of the quarter window? Would hate to have to cut the whole thing off and have to get the amd ones.

sounds if there that bad they won't take long to rust, even though your out west I'm sure the rust gremlin will get it quick

Pics would help.How bad is it buckling? If it is a small spot that is bucking you may be able to cut a slit in the metal, in which would give it relief.Then weld up the slit once you have the rest of the quarter spot welded..

It's pretty difficult to show it in pictures.

I tacked it in all over and was finishing up the butt weld seam where the old quarter meets the new one.

It just appears that the body line is too weak on these thin replacements.

It's pretty difficult to show it in pictures.

I tacked it in all over and was finishing up the butt weld seam where the old quarter meets the new one.

It just appears that the body line is too weak on these thin replacements.

hope you didn't try and weld the whole seam, that would be enough to warp any pannel, also butt welding is weaker for body pannels since you end up grinding down good metal to get flat

I pefer lap welding by putting new pannel under old and welding. end up with less fill and straighter

i tack welded it as best I could. Some warpage occurred so I I'll try to hammer them flat again and hopefully it will resolve the buckling problem.

hope you didn't try and weld the whole seam, that would be enough to warp any pannel, also butt welding is weaker for body pannels since you end up grinding down good metal to get flat

I pefer lap welding by putting new pannel under old and welding. end up with less fill and straighter

right, and with lapping pliers or the end for an air hammer so the new panel lays flat with the old...

-
Back