New rear end, now brake pedal sinks :(

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I just installed a new rear end, and in the process I had to take out the old drum brakes and reassemble them. I did use all the old parts. I bled the rear brakes, and the brake pedal just sinks to the floor. I think I just have front brakes. any idea what might have gone wrong? Thanks!

Probably just didn't get a good bleed on them. Try bleeding again. Might take a couple times. If that doesn't do it, maybe the wheel cylinders are bad. They don't cost much and should be available at a parts store.

Maybe they never worked at all??? There was spider webs in them! :eek:

The pedal was a lot firmer though.

When I was bleeding them, the brake pedal didn't pump up at all!

I tend to agree with some of the above posts... you may not have bled as good as you think you did. I say bleed the rears a lot more.

And make sure they are adjusted up. The more movement it takes to contact the drum the more the peddle sinks.

I also agree with alot of the above posts and remember to always start at the farthest point from the master when you,ve done brake swaps or installed new lines and such

if your master cylinder leaked all the fluid out the back before you got your new brakes installed ...you need to bleed the master cylinder ...otherwise you will never get the air out..

-
Back