New rebuild has odd vapors?

-
When i break in an engine,high idle until thermostat opens. Cam has to break in,rings need to seat. It needs to run. Vapours are for the most part,normal.

Just another thought, did the original engine prior to this one installed, have a blown head gasket?
If so is this the same exhaust being used? If you answered yes........ the symptoms being explained are consistent with old exhaust filled with old oil and antifreeze coating on the pipes and will eventually burn off. Run it till it till brake in period on the correct RPM...THEN RE TORQUE AND REPEAT BREAK IN..CHECK THE FLUIDS...

Just another thought, did the original engine prior to this one installed, have a blown head gasket?
If so is this the same exhaust being used? If you answered yes........ the symptoms being explained are consistent with old exhaust filled with old oil and antifreeze coating on the pipes and will eventually burn off. Run it till it till brake in period on the correct RPM...THEN RE TORQUE AND REPEAT BREAK IN..CHECK THE FLUIDS...
Cam has been properly broken in and car/engine has approx. 100+ road miles on it.
I'm going to look at oil and radiator press. test again tonight. I'll post a video of exhaust.

so press. test was the same again. No sign of coolant in oil.
I have a new rotor and cap looks ok.
I did pull plug wires on drivers side and when I got to cylinder #5 it did not seem to stumble, so we checked with a tester
and its firing.
Exhaust looks grayish.
20180227_175638.jpg

Results are inconclusive.
Move spark plug from 5 to another cylinder. While both plugs are out, compare them.
If its misfiring on cyl 5 and it has compression the only thing is spark. Now,a test for vacuum leak near cyl 5 intake port using brake cleaner would reveal a intake leak.
Coolant into cylinder is improbable,as cylinder pressure would pressurize cooling system.

Broken ring? Compression test says no.
6,5,7 are 3 possibilities,crossfiring
To next firing cylinder through cap or jumping across wires.

Air fuel and spark. If its all there it shouldnt be missing.
Leakdown test,dont know if you will find anything.

Sound pretty good if ya ask me, that smoke is obviously on acceleration.....? It’s not steady white smoke so I don’t suspect head gasket..... oil leak past valve? On opening wot?

Results are inconclusive.
Move spark plug from 5 to another cylinder. While both plugs are out, compare them.
If its misfiring on cyl 5 and it has compression the only thing is spark. Now,a test for vacuum leak near cyl 5 intake port using brake cleaner would reveal a intake leak.
Coolant into cylinder is improbable,as cylinder pressure would pressurize cooling system.

Broken ring? Compression test says no.
6,5,7 are 3 possibilities,crossfiring
To next firing cylinder through cap or jumping across wires.

Air fuel and spark. If its all there it shouldnt be missing.
Leakdown test,dont know if you will find anything.
I have a new cap I can try. Wire are newer 8mm accel super stock.
The other thing I was thinking is what if I have a lifter going? Would a floating exhaust valve staying open at times blow gray exhaust like shown?
I'm going to open up the valve cover and check while also re-torque heads.

Cap won’t change the smoke, that’s burning out of one of the cylinders most likely #5 as you indicated. While valve cover is off best time to check.. springs for cracks as well

coolant vapor as also slimy to the touch. Throw a tube of stop leak in there for kicks,if your going to pull the heads anyway if that doesnt fix it.
Are you serious?! Stop leak? Sorry two Motors ago I cleaned a lot of that stuff out and made me a serious no fan.

I grew up with a rotted radiator. I'd watch it pee on the crosswalk at a light...on my way to Trak Auto for some Bardahl stop leak. Poured it in, and watched the stream slow to a dribble and then stop. Hell yeah, another night of cruising without overheating! Just dont overdoase on it.

It's a Mopar I don't see nothing wrong my Stroker Bella's out a little steam every once in awhile! It's a Mopar it's just angry at the world! I think what problem here is you haven't went out there and beat on it enough and it's pissed about it, this ain't no Chevy!
Go out warm the vehicle up plut your left foot firmly on the brake pedal put it down into low 1, stab your right foot to the floorboard, ease up on the brake pedal just ever-so-slightly and when you can see smoke beyond the telephone wires completely let go of the break and possibly shift into second. Repeat and smile and report back!
Edit! This highly technical test should only be performed in a closed circuit safe environment!

Last edited:
I grew up with a rotted radiator. I'd watch it pee on the crosswalk at a light...on my way to Trak Auto for some Bardahl stop leak. Poured it in, and watched the stream slow to a dribble and then stop. Hell yeah, another night of cruising without overheating! Just dont overdoase on it.
Nice experience. My motor came from a guy who had just the same experience you did. And absolutely every time that things started leaking he would just add more. That led to overheating problems eventually which could not be solved. He sold the motor to me for fifty bucks and bought a stroker. I pulled the freeze plugs on that bad boy and commence to chiseling and digging and blastin that crap out for days till I got what I thought was most of it out of the block. It ran cool as a whistle after that and basically I just put a good radiator (same one I always have just an old stock slant 6 radiator) a good water pump and get hoses on it. Oh yeah and sealed it correctly. Just use water in a little jar of Redline water wetter like always.

If you were to follow post number 37 to the T, I think you could gain a lot of knowledge about your motor quickly! LOL
I think the results of such a test would be two thumbs up or two thumbs down no in-between.
A serious note though if there's no water in the oil and no oil in the water and no extremely concerning Ping's Knocks or any of those other horrible noises you're fine. And if it's a tick that goes away that's fine. If it's a tick that gets louder, turn it off quick!

What did you use for an intake gasket, composition or tin?
Fel-Pro 1213
Motor runs well, I'm just obsessed with finding the smoke and periodic miss issue.
I'll be digging into the valvetrain and ignition circuit.
Will report back.

It's a Mopar I don't see nothing wrong my Stroker Bella's out a little steam every once in awhile! It's a Mopar it's just angry at the world! I think what problem here is you haven't went out there and beat on it enough and it's pissed about it, this ain't no Chevy!
Go out warm the vehicle up plut your left foot firmly on the brake pedal put it down into low 1, stab your right foot to the floorboard, ease up on the brake pedal just ever-so-slightly and when you can see smoke beyond the telephone wires completely let go of the break and possibly shift into second. Repeat and smile and report back!
Edit! This highly technical test should only be performed in a closed circuit safe environment!

You mean like this after 32 years of sitting "...........

Did you take the dole pins out of the rails where your intake sits, that maybe hitting your intake. Webby.

Fel-Pro 1213
Motor runs well, I'm just obsessed with finding the smoke and periodic miss issue.
I'll be digging into the valvetrain and ignition circuit.
Will report back.
What and throw away my expert advice!?

-
Back