New ride

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Bought a new-to-me '71 Duster from incredablehefey (Jeff) a member here. Check the ad here. It was actually his pop's car, Rod. Great people to deal with, the entire exchange from start to finish went off without a hitch. The ad really helped to sell the car, the pics were very good and showed great detail. A buddy of mine from Norco San Diego went to go lay a set of of eyes on it for me and gave it the thumbs up. I pulled the trigger and hooked up the transport. The Duster arrived here at my place here this afternoon after a week long cross country trip from Orange County. It was everything I expected.

I can not tell you guys how sincerely happy I am to own this car. Here's my little back story. I've had ongoing project cars for what seems like decades now, none of which ever went anywhere. There has literally been a void in my life for that long too not having a running car to do my thing with. I became tired of going to the drags and sitting in the stands a long time ago. I have thousands of pictures of other people's cars because I was just walking around the pits or at a car show because I had no car. I ran my Dart once but it wasn't terribly exciting - 17 seconds at 76 mph - whoopee. I spent more time planning, thinking and trying to finagle my time into something that never materialized. Even to the point where I was unmotivated to do much of anything because I felt like I had no tangible outlet for my what I live and breathe for, A body Mopars.

So I saw the car in the classifieds here and it just kind of hit me - that's my car! It was built almost exactly the way I would have done it myself, plus was an original paint and body car and not cut up. I didn't really even negotiate much. There was a part of me that wanted the satisfaction of building one myself but time, money and motivation were never on my side. I would take cars apart, lose interest and sell at a loss. I realized life was too short to not enjoy. Hit me like a big orange splat.

So yeah, this is a turn key driver and it's a keeper. I ain't taking it apart or doing much of anything to it. Runs like a scalded cat this thing, sounds burly enough to scrae the crap out of my four year old. Rod said it was a 12.0 car and it definitely feels like it is. Hopefully the new driver can make it happen.

Here's the combo - 10.5:1 340, W2 heads, Victor intake, Holley 750 DP, MP .557 solid cam, Mopar ign, TTi headers. Runs on pump gas but race gas gets mixed in, 105-110, whatever is available. Drive train consists of a low gear 904 with RMVB, 4.30 gear (!) 8 3/4. Hughes 3,800 converter, B+M ratchet shifter, line lock. Springs moved in board, frame connectors, battery moved to trunk. 275 M/T drag radials and 165 Kelly Metrics up front, Centerline auto drags. Perfect stance, slight rake, has 'the look'.

Plans for the car are to take it to local cruises and for ice cream, drive it to work on nice days and of course get it down to ETown as much as I can and point it down the track. I got no trailer so I'm drivin' a 4.30 geared car 80 miles one way through NYC to get there. Gonna start saving up now for a trailer. Hope I don't break anything.

I do have some minor stuff in mind for the car that won't involve taking it apart. Lightweight master cylinder and disk brakes, Caltracs, new carpet, dash pad, maybe a gear change to an aluminum 4.10 and install a set of Moser axles. That's really it. I have just about everything on hand already. I am going to drive it as is for now though. Rod suggested it could use an 850 DP for the drags but the 750 is quite snappy on there right now. Guess we'll see how it does in the pavement-melting humidity this summer.

Ok, so here's some pics in my newly organized garage. Hell yeah, it's mine! I am so stoked!!

Attachments

• IMG_7470.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 3,430
  • IMG_7471.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3,427
  • IMG_7472.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 3,437
  • IMG_7473.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 3,399
  • IMG_7474.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 3,415
  • IMG_7478.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_7479.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3,412
Nice--Thanks for the story!!!! Enjoy it and remember KEEP SMILING when driving!!!!!!Good for you---Now--who did you trust to bring it to you???? open or enclosed???? about $1000.00 to get it to you??--Steve

Nice--Thanks for the story!!!! Enjoy it and remember KEEP SMILING when driving!!!!!!Good for you---Now--who did you trust to bring it to you???? open or enclosed???? about $1000.00 to get it to you??--Steve

I took it for a ride around the block when I got home. My neighbor saw me when I got out of the car, my grin was from ear to ear. I'm still smiling actually.

Enclosed transport was a little over $1K door to door. When you call a transport company and say "Long Island" seems like there is an automatic "oohh, Long Island." Kinda like that will be an extra $200. Not sure why, guess drivers don't like to come out here. Not bad though considering gas prices these days, guys are scrounging out there.

I've used Angels Moving Autos a few times now. They are a broker. Driver was not so great with communication and was not real punctual but it's all good, car got here in one week.

That looks really nice. I'm curious about the tires and suspension. Are the springs stock or have they be relocated. I'm currently running 15x10 (4 3/4 offset) Centerline auto drags and 255 MT drag radials. My stock spring location looks very tight for 275 tires and was wondering if it's really possible to get 275's under it.

That looks really nice. I'm curious about the tires and suspension. Are the springs stock or have they be relocated. I'm currently running 15x10 (4 3/4 offset) Centerline auto drags and 255 MT drag radials. My stock spring location looks very tight for 275 tires and was wondering if it's really possible to get 275's under it.

Springs are moved inboard with the offset shackles. No mini tub.

Congrats! Great story and great car. I'll look for you at E-town. I think the Mopar day is a little later in the summer this year.

Congrats! Great story and great car. I'll look for you at E-town. I think the Mopar day is a little later in the summer this year.

I hope to be there! I think it's in August? Not sure. Hope to get it out before then though. They have those muscle car days a couple times a year too and the Old Time Drags which I love, test'n'tune days... Gonna be an expensive summer for me with gas.
:burnout:

Congrats....I feel for you guys on LI. I worked there for a month after the hurricane last year and asking around at a couple of car shows I went to on my day off and discovered there are no drag strips....that sucks! Between the traffic, cost of housing, winters and no strips I would have to move.

Congrats....I feel for you guys on LI. I worked there for a month after the hurricane last year and asking around at a couple of car shows I went to on my day off and discovered there are no drag strips....that sucks! Between the traffic, cost of housing, winters and no strips I would have to move.

It's not that bad, come on now. Here in the Northeast we deal with whatever comes our way. :dontknow:

The last track we had here went away in 2004. (West Hampton - L.I. Dragway). That place was a far ride for 90% of the people that live on the Island. There is a grass roots effort going on trying to get a track built somewhere but it never seems to get off the ground. It's all about money and space both of which are in high demand. Nobody wants drag racing going on where they live. ETown is not that far, especially if you live in Nassau County. Under an hour from the city.

But I digress... still smiling about my car though regardless of where I live. Might be permanent. I keep going out to the garage to look at it. Hope to register it tomorrow.

One thing, though. It needs a/c. lol

I usually take the a/c out of my cars. Extra weight and complication. 2-60 A/C works for me.

I specifically looked for a non a/c car so I wouldn't have to deal with getting rid of it and having extra holes. I wouldn't have cared either way if the firewall and blower motor were the same as non a/c cars but they're not.

Big orange splat...ha,ha.....good stuff.

Glad you finally got a toy of your own......good things come to those who wait.

I usually take the a/c out of my cars. Extra weight and complication. 2-60 A/C works for me.

I specifically looked for a non a/c car so I wouldn't have to deal with getting rid of it and having extra holes. I wouldn't have cared either way if the firewall and blower motor were the same as non a/c cars but they're not.

Yep... I was the same way when I used to race back in the day - Englishtown, Great Meadows, Atco, and the old National Speed way on Long Island. I stopped racing 35+ years ago.
Now, everything I own or buy MUST have air. I live in the "deep South", now, we (or at least I) us a/c about 9 month a year. If I consider buying a car without a/c it's because I'm planning to have it installed. lol

-
Back